Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does stock bikes run

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:58 PM
CWO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How well does stock bikes run

Harpoon - I also run a carb, chose to so that I could tweak it in at minimal costs (>$5) vice going the map/sert/Power Commander/ect route. Personal prefernce. Anyway, I just switched out my stock exhaust, threw on an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner and re-tuned my carb (as per the info at this link: https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm )
I just returned from a 50 mile jaunt and it ran great! Smoother idle, awesome, smooth torque on roll-out, burble on decel, no pop, surge or hiccup on accel. Really made a big difference.

CWO
05 FLHT

Old 01-20-2006, 08:23 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're just adding slip ons for the sound and leaving the stock air filter on it I wouldn't even worry about getting it re-jetted.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
claydbal
Cruiser

dont waste your money on the stage 1. when you decide to upgrade, buy the pc 3 usb, thundermax or sert.
for you carbureted guys--------- the jet kit is a ripoff. jets are around $2.00 each, annd usually all you have to do is raise the needle!

Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Claydbal on the jet kit. IMHO an oversold item. Had one put in by the dealer along with Stage One before I took delivery. Whenever I took it for service, I always commented on the decel popping. Year 2 an inde put the carb back to stock and properly tuned/jetted it. No more popping, bike ran stronger. The inde is pretty well known in my area and he made me a deal -- "If you don't think your bike runs better, there'll be no charge." He was right.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:28 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Skip the jet kit unless you like to burn money. You can do it like the link above shows you for around $5 https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm

If you aren't after about 10 more HP, then forget the intake and mufflers too and uncap the idle mixture and readjust it to the highest and steadiest mixture fully warmed up and go ride it.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Hal81
Novice

I have a stock 2005 Dyna Super with about 1500 miles on it. I am just now getting around to the Stage One upgrade using the SE slip-on baloney cut mufflers (Part number 80104-99). Once you decide on the specific part numbers you're interested in, I recommend pricing them at Zanotti's (https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php). I found a better deal there than other internet sites, although I can't swear they're the best in the country. Harley MSRP was $229, and I got them at Zanotti's for $166.38. As with others who've written above, I was more interested in the quality of the sound than extra power--though that's okay, too. I found the stock Dyna had plenty of acceleration and top-end, but was too...I don't know...soft-spoken. I am not interested in rattling the dishes in my house when I pull into the driveway, but I did want more of the classic Harley sound. I'd say drive it stock for a while, see what you think, then spend the few hundred dollars on the upgrade--if you think you want to.

You can't go wrong with a Dyna!

Hal

Old 01-30-2006, 09:45 PM
05FXD
Road Captain

I never rode my Dyna stock . I put on Vance & Hines Straight Shots,an Arlen Ness Big Sucker breather kit ,and yes got the over priced Vance & Hines DynoJet kit for the carb,and did the Thunderslide modification . It should of cost me around $600 but got a $500 gift card from the dealer when I bought the bike. Like I said I never rode it stock ,got the bike in February and put it all on when the bike had 3 miles on it . If I had to do it over again I would skip the high priced carb kit ,and just get the jets I needed and would of went with a 2 into 1 exhaust,but keep the Arlen Ness Big Sucker breather kit.Whatever you decide don't get drag pipes,they may sound nice ,but you'll loose all kinds of power especially in the lower end.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
05FXD
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Dynamite

I have a carburator on my 05 low rider, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I gues I am an ignorant hard head about keeping a carbed bike vs. a EFI.
I agree , carb is the way to go . Changes can be made pretty quick and without a computer or a service tech at the local dealer.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since this topic has gotten so many hits, I decided to give my 2 cents as well. In my opinion, the stock ride is not bad, especially if this is your first bike. In stock mode,you will almost definitly notice a little more sputtering than if you do a Stage 1 but it might not bother you. The problem for me with stock setup is it's too quiet. As many have mentioned, if you're just looking for my rumble, you will be fine adding some slip-ons ( I prefer V&H) and probably won't even have to adjust the carb. I added slip-ons on my bike before I rejetted and the bike ran great. With slip-ons alone, the infamous stock carb farts went away and I believe it felt like it had much more torque. A few weeks later, I had the carb rejetted and added a Scream Eagle A/C, and to be honest, it wasnt as big of an improvement as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I could tell the bike got up to speed much faster and pulls harder, but as far as ride quality, it's still the same bike. I can say the engine felt a little smoother and much more free breathing but a full Stage 1 can get pricey. If you're looking for noise only, go with the slip-ons and if you feel you want more power, add the rejet and AC later. This advice could save you some serious cash especially if you need to have your dealer do the work. Good luck....

Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not de-bulls#it'n the bike from its stock form is certainly borderlining on treason. It's the experience of riding a Harley and a huge part of that is the sound and pulse of 45 degrees of pushrod v-twin sweetness. With the full stage one, the added 10 horses is like taking candy from a baby and serious bang for the buck. Just my opinion.

I'm not getting the 'save the stage one for more experience' thoughts. Adequate power and a bump in torque are both your friend and can be used to get pull your @ss out of certain situations.

Quick Reply: How well does stock bikes run