Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF good is the idle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTF good is the idle cable?

I have been screwing up my throttle and idle cables this weekend, repositioning them etc. and I think I have f'd them up.[sm=bangbang.gif].stretched 'em or something, but I say that idle cable is useless! It just sits there around the throttle and at the injector and mine is now too loose! The throttle cable looks to me like it does all the action and the injector thing it goes around snaps back anyway so WTF??[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Is it possible to stretch cables outthat easy? Mine are newBarnetts and I put the 3" over stock length on for my new bars. Any advice/info appreciated

Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WTF good is the idle cable?

its there in case the main cable breaks so you swap it over in a pinch
seriously, my internal throttle only has the one cable. i thinks its aDOT issue
my .02 cents

Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
labfreak
Road Master

No $hit? A DOT issue....?? guess it could be, I bought mine in Oregon.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't Panic!!!!!!!!! Best advise I got, sorry.

DougJ

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the old days when I was fishtailing up a gravel driveway the throttle stuck full. Hit a really big object and wrecked my buddies 1942 45ci. During the rebuild the throttle worked fine and when he got it running one day it stuck and theengine started hammering.One of the butterfly screws had come out. After he discovered this, Iwas no longer an a h.A return cable may have overpowered the stuck butterfly and saved a lot of aggrivation.
Anyway, loosen both cables. Adjust the main pull cable so you can hit the stop in the grip and hear the click of the stop at the efi. Check to see if you get full throttle either visually or an audible click on the stop.
Tighten the return cable only enough to take out the slop. You will feel it in the grip and if you go too far you will not hear the idle stop any more. For what it's worth with the adjusters both set at the same position, looking inside the throttle housing on the bars both ***** are sticking out the same amount, more or less. That cable will probably hold 3-500 lbs so I doubt you stretched them.
Ron

Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I counted the threads on the adjusters of my cables before removing them to get an idea of where to put them back and had no problems. I always started adjusting the throttle cable tillthe slack was goneand made sure it pulls to full throttle and returns to idle. The cable doesn't need tobe too tight or it will bind on the handle. Aftergetting most of the slack out of the throttle cable then adjust the idle cable till it's snug and notloose as well. Work the throttle a few times to make sure it returns to idle freely without sticking. The idle cable is mearly there for safety in case the throttlebutterfly return spring evershould break it will return to idle when pushing the throttle forward. It's more of a safety issue that DOT or whoever sets the standards for safetymade mandatory.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM
labfreak
Road Master

Thanks guys,I always learn something new here. I'll try the adjusting methods you mentioned, so it is a safety thing with the idle cable..huh..i'd of never thought of that!