Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Issue

Hey All, Purchased a SERT and Serial Cable kit from dealer. Went to hook up to laptop and connector cable the sold me does not hook up to computer so off to best buy I went and Got a USB to Serial connection. Loaded the softwear for it ran through the SERT Program. So here is the question Finally... Ran the SERT Program it worked fine when I requested ECM info I.E. Vin# ecm code etc.
Then I went to load the Map and it gets to about 20% then says it is unable to continue contact Harley Davidson ETC...
Yes I do Have the Ignition switch on AND the Run Switch on. Could it be an error code in the ecm that possiably needs to be claered? I'm stumped??? Have to wait till monday till HD Dealer opens. Thought this ***** was fairly easy! Jesus Chrysler!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: SERT Issue

I know that some have had issues with certain USB/serial adapters. Do a search on that and see if you can find which one was known to work. I am luckly enough to have an old computer I use that has serial connectors.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I found it... "Most people have good luck with the Belkin brand adapter"
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2632887/tm.htm

Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

If it is getting the VIN etc it is communicating.

I have seen that message you mention, once or twice, in the last two years.

I just exit, reopen and start again -
then all is fine.

Maybe or maybe not this will work for you,

But, again, if it reads the VIN, it is connecting.

May be the adapter as well, as stated by AB.

mud

ORIGINAL: Dynaflyer

Hey All, Purchased a SERT and Serial Cable kit from dealer. Went to hook up to laptop and connector cable the sold me does not hook up to computer so off to best buy I went and Got a USB to Serial connection. Loaded the softwear for it ran through the SERT Program. So here is the question Finally... Ran the SERT Program it worked fine when I requested ECM info I.E. Vin# ecm code etc.
Then I went to load the Map and it gets to about 20% then says it is unable to continue contact Harley Davidson ETC...
Yes I do Have the Ignition switch on AND the Run Switch on. Could it be an error code in the ecm that possiably needs to be claered? I'm stumped??? Have to wait till monday till HD Dealer opens. Thought this ***** was fairly easy! Jesus Chrysler!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Thanks Greg, Thanks Mud.

Purchased a dynex USB to serial cable, installed softwear via disc. Manually checked the DCT'S No error codes.
Tested the Com and it says it's communicating. Here is the messege I get after I click on "Program the ECM."
It loads up to 20% Then in dialog box says; The ECM is not allowing access for programing!
If Problem persists contact your Harley Davidson dealer for further information.

Below Program ECM Button it states; ECM access denied Quitting.

Going to try a Belkin USB to Serial tomorrow otherwise I have to wait. I don't fully understand what a different connector (Belkin) will have any effect or make a difference but gotta try something.
Thanks for the help and links to the other part of the forums.
BTW I did try it several times restarted the puter, disconnected and reconnected connections, tried differant portsand received the same error message.
Peace out.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

OK, Did a bit of searching on this forum and their could be a few factors involved

1. I've read that 90% of USB to Serial cables do not work. Best of luck with Belkin F5U109

2. Cable kit purchased through HD Might be defective.

3. Latest Version Of SERT 4.6.2 NOT compatiable with windows Vista operating system.

4. Com port / portsnot configured correctly. ( I did Check this )

In the The Troubleshooting section of the SERT Softwear it DID mention Using A Belkin USBto Serial connector.
I'll post the fixonce Iget er done.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why I run a lap top old with XP. Vista sucks on so many applications. Good Luck to you, and lets us know your fix.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

So does the SERT come with the software, or do you have to buy it seperately? Only reason I have not baought one was because I dont feel like paying a dealer such an obscene amount for the install and the dyno....I have a laptop I can take to the Garage, and I have no engine mods or anything, just wanna stop the dang thing from running so lean

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vista ia a No Go...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

Thundermax with Autotune; same serial problem. I was told to get the Belkin USB to Serial adapter and everything went sweet & easy. I had to install some drivers for the Belkin, but worked out first time I tried. Don't know if Vista can have some issues since I have XP, but knowing Microsoft, it could very well be Vista. Can't you borrow a laptop with XP from your neighbour?

Good luck
Spanish Flyer

Quick Reply: SERT Issue