Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Default RE: SERT Issue

ORIGINAL: Dynaflyer

3. Latest Version Of SERT 4.6.2 NOT compatiable with windows Vista operating system.

You didn't mention Vista before.

That's the first issue to deal with,

and everyone says get the Belkin,

I don't know - my laptop has a serial port runnin Win2000.

Here's another thing, don't let your laptop battery go dead
in the middle of an upload.

Best to have it plugged into the wall.

mud

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guaranteed it's Vista that's causing the problems. I just got my SERT last week and haven't been able to use it yet - short of disassembling my desktop setup and moving it to the garage - since my wife's laptop is running Vista. I was all prepared to do my first flash last Thursday, but, being the pessimistic dork I am, decided to search these forums for SERT/Vista compatibility first. Viola! You can run the software but can't program the ECM. Vista sucks even worse now that I originally had thought. Actually, the fault rests squarely on HD for having such an antiquated apparatus. Serial ports? That's so 20th Century.

Luckily, my division at work has an older laptop with a serial port that's been sitting idle for years. IT is getting it "un-fortified" for me so I can take it home and use it as I please. Hopefully, I can flash tomorrow evening (trying one of those maps you sent, Mud!). I've got two serial cables and a USB version in case I run in to problems. Like I said, I plan ahead for failure.

Whiff

Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiffleboy

Actually, the fault rests squarely on HD

Whiff
How so Whiff??

MicroSoft releases the latest and socalled greatest operating system ever,
and 99% of the software that everyone already has is not compatible.

HD could develop new works for the SERT,
and how much does that cost??
Then passed along to the end user.

I certainly would not want to buy a new SERT everytime MS "improves the wheel".

I have one PC still runnin Win98, cause I don't wanna buy a new longbed scanner.
The longbed scanners today are all 6-700 bux.
Mine worx fine, but no drivers for Win2000.

mud

Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle
How so Whiff??
Typically, Mud, it's the older/outdated softwares that have compatibility problems with newer operating system releases. The SERT package is a prime example. I'm not sure how long the SERT has been available to consumers, but, my guess is that - other than some mapping updates - what we're using in 2007 is the same software folks we're using when it was initially released a few years back. The serial connection is a good indicator that they probably haven't addressed updating the core design since it's release. It's not a complicated piece of software design-wise. There really isn't a good reason it shouldn't be compatible with Vista - despite how much I dislike the operating system. They could easily provide a "Vista update" for those that have already purchased.

This is the only piece of software I've found that hasn't been Vista compatible. And I have some software versions that are at least 3 years old.

Whiff

Old 01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the forum for this but I believe some people running Vista have had SERT success using a Vista mode of operation that simulates XP or Win2000.
David

Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

OK Brohams, Here's the Poop.
I did fail to mention that I was running Vista. P.O.S. IMHO....
A HUGE THANKS to Trotter for the heads up! Dude, How you been doin these past few days now that snappy has taken to his new master!! Dam Looks like Doug is spoilin that skinny sunburned boy rotten. Hang in there Brotha.

OK, Back to the fix. Managed to get my hands on a laptop with XP on it and a Belkin cable purchased from Orfice Depot.
Bada bing! less than a minute I was Finnished. Damm, thats what she said!
Anyhoo, A big Round of Thanks to WS6 Formula for canned map info, Trotter for some Map info and the heads up on Vista and last but not least MUD For his guidance and special maps I plan to try soon. Also thanks to everyone else who replied. your imput was useful!
It would have been like two monkeys huggin a football if these Guys had not helped out.

BTW, In the SERT user's manual under "TroubleShooting" It states to use a Belkin cable. Go Figure!
Hope this helps anyone heading in this direction for the first time.