Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago Harley parts on Special Order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chicago Harley parts on Special Order?

I have probably been to the dealer too many times. Bought a 2001 Sportster to learn on and then a 2007 Fatboy 6 months later - never regreted my decision as my son is getting the sporty.

Anyhow, most out out stock parts, were on some schedule. They told me they typically order twice a week and they shipments once or twice a week. They usually called me the next Thursday telling me stuff came in. (I guess I order a lot of oddball stuff) One exception was the Forward Controls for the sporty - they were on national backorder and the dealer didn't know when they would come in - they called harley to get a date, and thats how they found about the BO - but they got no reason why, or when. They actually called/checked all the dealers in the Chicago area, and told me who had the chrome ones in stock, but I didn't want to spend the extra $$ on a learning bike as I originally planned to sell it as soon as I felt comfortable to buy a bigger bike. I stuck with it, as it was still spring and I wasn't riding much anyhow, and they called about 4 weeks later telling me the controls were in. It sounded like different suppliers make different parts for harley, and some parts they make themselves.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 PM
drdave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chicago Harley parts on Special Order?

i have ordered many things from chicagoharley and had no significant problems. occassionally i will have an item placed on backorder - if it is simply not in stock, usually i get it in a week or so. if it is on factory backorder because harley itself does not have any on inventory, then chicagoharley has to wait on the factory to release, so they are at the mercy of the factory. in that case, it is an unknown time frame, but usually the factory has anticipated release dates of certain parts as an estimate.

you canclick onthe "backorder items" and that takes you to a page that has a "click here" section to check on the current status of each part or item that is currently on backorder. you will have to have your part number, but if it is on backorder, it should be on the list along with the date ordered and the date anticipated it will come off of backorder. again that is an estimate.

i have gotten in the habit of always calling first and making sure an item is not a discontinued item before i order. sometimes a discontinued item that is no longer available at all from harley, will get a temporary "backorder" listing until the paperwork catches up. in that case, it takes a couple of weeks sometimes to find out you are not getting the part. chicagoharley is simply going to pull up the part on computer if ordered and if the factory has not listed it as obsolete on the computer, chicagoharley is not going to know - so you wait.