Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How cold is too cold?

I'll ride to work or other short trips down in the low thirties unless there has been rain or moisture lately. Under freezing is a little dicey. It's up to each individual on how cold you should ride. It's not necessarily how cold it is on you, but how it may effect the road. There's a difference between riding snowmobiles and motorcycles in the cold.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Another "Michigander" here. Last night got 16" of the white stuff. Tomorrow its suppose to have a high of 21 degrees. But this Saturday we have a high of 47 degrees. When you get used to the temps we've been having 47 feels like you're in the Carribean. The only problem is the amount of salt they put on the roads. When the salt dries it turns into a powder and gets blown around when driven on, so I doubt I'll be doing any riding soon. That crap gets everywhere.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: badherb

do your fingers fall off? are your nuts still attatched? I'd say if either of those two things happen then you need to go back and get them off the ground then park your bike other wise.....
what does it matter anyway? are you happy? F*ck those who think your crazy. Ride and be happy...
I think it was the winter of '95 (last century), rode nearly 20 miles in 5 degree F temps, from town to home in the country.
My dick froze solid and nearly fell off, and my hands froze so bad it took me nearly an hour before I was able to get my helmet off, and to unzip my jacket. 3 hours later the pain in my fingers finally subsided enough I could quit crying "mommy,mommy". Now I know why they call those temps "single digits"
Sure glad I had left the front door unlocked that night.Just kiddin about the dick freezin.

DougJ

Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 AM
chaelotte
Cruiser

last winter got probleme whit my car and was a big one so like evey one i have to work and to far totake taxi or something so my bike like every year was outside but ready to ride ( i try to start every week so its ready to ride) i am a freak ...
i jump on it temp was -15celsius about -5f take all stuff to keep warm20min ride on the highway never go faster that 55mph take all caution on curve but i maid it
it happen feb 26 in montreal quebec

i have a lot of storie about winter riding!!

the coldest i ride was -26 c about -15f (23jan2007)take the bike for a test ride afther i instal foward control
when i stop at light i pull the clucht in on it wont go out... freezing...
at work every body tell me that i am a nut
but just imagine a skidoo runnig 75mph at -25f is that cold
no simply wear good stuff and youll be ok

i have to admit under 50f it start to be cold
BUT WHEN YOU LIVE NORTH YOU HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE TO BE ABLE TO RIDE 12 MONTH A YEAR i mean freezing skin or frozen to the bones..and sometime face snow or ice on the road

Old 01-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Btechpat
Advanced

with the price of and diesel these days I'll take the scoot every day as long as its not raining when I go to work in the AM.Temps here in southern MSare in the 20s lately. Bundle up and ride!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
chaelotte
Cruiser

over here if i take my car it cost me around 45 bucks if i take my bike its under 20
i try to take my bike an average of 40 week a year
(25x40=1000) have you imagine ride an harley to save money

my car its not cool but
imagine this a street bob black whit me riding in winter whit a fullface a pair of chaps and snow mobile glove
maybe not cool
but like me very freak
if you are not happy whit what you see look somewhere else...

and for sure i try to wash the bike soon as possible but not a big trouble whit rust exept for couple bolt rusted no major problem

do i told you my fullface was yellow

i will try to post some pics later

Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 AM
chaelotte
Cruiser

this one is whit my old buell blast but is just the bike

[IMG]local://upfiles/50163/7A64FDB8AFDF4EDB9EFD97D1600E872F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I will admit in the Phoenix area & those like it, we got it easier than you northerners. We don't have to worry about snow & ice covered roads. That would probably keep me from riding due to safety issues. Just plain old cold is another thing though.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
bronk
Road Master

0 degrees is the cutoff for me as long as the roads are salt free.This year we got a lot of snow, so I was done riding on Thanksgiving.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We couldn't find the keys to the Jeep last week and we were already running late for work so we had to jump on the bike. I'd say it was around35 degrees with a light mist for about a 10 mile ride. By the time we got to base I couldn't feel my face!

Mrs. DH

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold?