Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Stand Problem after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Kuniskis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Stand Problem after lowering

I have a 2006 Street Bob.
I lowered the back with a pair or 11" Progressive 412's and used the matching Progressive front springs with a 2" drop.I can't believe the difference in handling! The front end dive has been completely eliminated -- bike feels so much solider and more stable at speed.

Theonly down side has been the original side standis now too long.On a perfectly flat surfae, the bike still leans slightlyand is acceptable. But if you have any uneven surface, the bike is nearly upright and is very unstable.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a shorter stand available (HD or Aftemarket)?

Old 12-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Clutch66
Tourer
Default RE: Side Stand Problem after lowering

yes..................

Oh, now you want to know where? most of the aftermarket online places sell them. They will be listed in the sidestand section and you havre to read each ad and look for them to say "for lowered bikes".

Plan B, is to heat yours and put more of a bend in it but if you don't know what you're doing, this could turn out bad. Plus, you need to re-chrome after.

It's not a good thing to have the scoot standing up straight when on the sidestand. You go into a store and come out to find your ride on it's side.

C66

Old 12-25-2007, 05:26 PM
XMA
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 99% sure HD makes a shorter "jiffy stand" for your issue, not sure of the part # but there's got to be one out there.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

I think XMA is right. A friend of mine lowered his Sporty a couple of years ago and he got all of the parts from H-D including the kickstand.

I just went to the J-P Cycle site (to make sure of what I was telling you above)and they also carry them. Look under "footpegs, floorboards and forward controls" then sub-catagory of "side stands and accessories".

C66

Old 12-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Kuniskis
Intermediate
Default Side Stand - Thanks

Sounds Great -- Thanks everybody.

Once I get this behind me, I'm moving on to the ignition switchrelocation andrear fender. I put the HD"bobed" rearfnder -- but ended up removing and selling on ebay.It was toolong, just didn't look right.I think I will either cut the stock fender, or attemp to rework theFat Bob fender (longer drop than the accessory part) to work with the shorter stock fender struts. Either way, I figure Il be cutting -- eiher the stockfender or shortening the"bobed" fender.

Has anyone ever seen shorthened "bobed" fender thatwas mounted with the shock "bob" side struts?

Old 12-25-2007, 06:40 PM
johnfxdb
Cruiser

Definatley get a different jiffy stand. Worth every $$. Also....Careful on the sharp and sweeping turns. My lowered SB has been eating up pegs. Not to mention the sudden rise in blood pressure when the peg rises up and bottoms out on the Thunderheader, which is then followed by the back end of the bike coming out from below me.

You can learn from my mistakes. I am here to help.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Kuniskis
Intermediate

Thanks for the warning.

My last bike was a Night Train, so I'm used to slowing down for turns.

But the trade off in front end dive is worth it -- bike feels so much solider.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:36 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a wideglide when i lowered i felt a gust of wind would blow it over, went to harley they sell a stand for lowerd bikes, actually they come with the lowering kit if you buy from them, i think its a sportser stand cheap and easy