Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mines neither Yellow or Red. Blue Jack Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:46 PM
jeb_cfl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mines neither Yellow or Red. Blue Jack Question

I know, I know too many jack threads already.......

I bought the Durolast Blue Jack from Auto Zone. My bike is an 08 Street Bob. The jack goes under the bike fine if I have the stand up and I can lift it OK with the foot pedal. The questions are......

Is the back end of the bike suppose to rise higher than the front?

Should the kickstand rest on the jack on one side?

Is it just me being new to bikes and using jack stands or does everyone get butterflies in their gut when they raise their bike for the first few times?

[IMG]local://upfiles/45807/6FC9F5E4A3DC4A5F806BD1203D57B18F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-25-2007, 02:53 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Mines neither Yellow or Red. Blue Jack Question

First off, my 2 cents about the jack threads. Blown WAY out of proportion and most any jack that is rated well above the weight of your bike will do.

Now, as far as your questions...

With most any jack with a cross-member at the front, you're going to be best off standing the bike up until you can get the jack fully under it and then begin lifting it. If you are careful and take your time, it's easy enough to do by yourself.

As far as the rear tire being higher, it sounds like you may not be using the dyna lift adapter kit - are you familiar with this? A lot of people don't use it and seem to be okay without it. However, because of the piece of steel that sticks down to protect the tranny case under the frame on theright rear side, the bike will lift the rear end slightly ahead of the front making the rear wheel come up first. And/or there is not as much play in the suspension on the rear of your bike as the front and you get the same result. The dyna adapters clamp onto the frame on the 3 "even" corners and there is a smaller piece that fits under the right rear corner. This helps the lift meet the frame level and lift the bike level. As I said, you don't have to have it, based on other's experience, but an "Indy" cautioned me to buy it and I did. If you are handy, you can cut some 2 x 4's to accomplish the same thing.

There's no reason thatI can see to jack the kickstand. Depending on what you are doing, though, it can be a good idea to support the front and/or rear wheels with a jackstand or something else.

Two things I would strongly recommend doing everytime though. First, most of the jacks, I think, have a locking mechanism of some sort. Use it. With my red jack, I just lift the bike above one of the lock positions, engage the lock and then slowly lower the bike until it's tightly locked. Second, use at least one tie down strap. I don't know if your jack came with 1 or 2 and/or if it has loops to secure a tie down strap but, if it didn't/doesn't, figure out a way to secure the bike to the jack using a tie down strap. And don't strap it over the seat. Remove your seat and strap the bike down firmly to the jack once you have it in position and don't forget to loosen the strap first if you should decide to raise the bike higher.

Yes, it will give you butterflies if you care about your bike but you'll probably find the bike feels very secure and stable on the lift. But don't get overly confident in that. Use the lock and strap it down.

Here are a couple of pix of mine on the jack. I usually just lay the seat back down over the tie down once I have it secured. The orange things you see between the bike and the jack are the HD dyna adapters.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/67A8DC2A6D914C90B1604921AB032FA3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/63A916C9459D41C799F4D1681CDACBE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-25-2007, 03:06 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeb_cfl

I know, I know too many jack threads already.......

I bought the Durolast Blue Jack from Auto Zone. My bike is an 08 Street Bob. The jack goes under the bike fine if I have the stand up and I can lift it OK with the foot pedal. The questions are......

Is the back end of the bike suppose to rise higher than the front?

Should the kickstand rest on the jack on one side?

Is it just me being new to bikes and using jack stands or does everyone get butterflies in their gut when they raise their bike for the first few times?
Jeb, to answer your questions, no, no, yes.

Have a look at post 9, 10, and 11 at this page

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post2469782

mud

Last edited by mud; 12-21-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:27 PM
jeb_cfl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guy's. I'll order the adapters. The jack did come with 2 tie down straps and locations to hook them to the jack.