Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Dyna a Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Dyna a Good Deal?

I need some advice bigtime from you experienced Dyna owners. I have been doing some serious homework regarding which Harley will best fit my needs and just as importantly, my pocketbook. I've visited numerous dealers, picked several sales and technicians' brains, sat on various Dynas and Sportsters, and even listened to one fired up (the latter being my main concern in asking for your advice).

Here is the deal: 2005 FXD, Vivid Black, 1200 miles, Stage 1 with a Thunderheader.... immaculate condition looking as if it just came off the showroom. No other significant add-ons, other than the fabulous sounding Thunderheader. Even with the FXD being limited in chrome, the Thunderheader sets off the bike like nobody's business. Also, being purchased in 9/04, the warranty is good until 9/06. I don't plan or feel a need (MONEY) to purchase an extended warranty. The bike has a carburetor.... not fuel injected, which doesn't bother me in the least.

The sound is thunderous and deep, but not too 'loud', if you know what I mean.... important factor in my neighborhood.

Personal reasons for the sale... much to the owner's chagrin. There is no question the bike is in excellent condition... ready to ride.

The seller is asking 14k, but might go down a few hundred. Not much more. Throw in CA tax and license... might be some fudging.... final tab is around $14,500... in that neighborhood. If things go even better, final tab with tax and license might be around $14,200.

Anyway, my request to you out there is simple: is this too good a deal to pass up? Buying from a private owner, I eliminate the freight and setup fees. However, please note that there is 1 dealer, giving a $500 discount on all Dynas, that will sell this very same bike... minus the stage 1 and Thunderheader.... for $13,900 out the door.

If I do the Thunderheader afterward, throw in another thousand.... final tab being around $15k.

Buying from the private owner I will save anywhere from $700-$800 with a bike that I really don't have to worry about with the exception of doing some chroming along the way. The 1200 miles does not bother me... the owner is rock solid and I saw and heard the bike in person. No concerns at all.

Only concern might be that since he is a Harley mechanic himself, he did the 1000 mile service. Will this be an issue with the warranty?

This same dealer above quoting me $13,900 out the door for the FDX, also quotes me a flat $16,000 for the Custom (FDXC). Yes, the chrome is nice on the Custom... but I think I could live without it and do it myself one step at a time.

Well, I guess that's all the info I can share. I want this Harley so bad I can taste it.... I just need some thumbs up or down, and why, on this particular deal and anything else you can share with me on the above information. I've had a few back and neck problems, but I feel a Dyna will work with me on these issues. Thanks for helping a future 'Harley guy'.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 PM
kentlca
Advanced
Default RE: Is This Dyna a Good Deal?

If u can afford the difference in $’s buy the new one. I have the 05 FXDI injected. What a difference from the carb model. U can add all the cool stuff anytime. There’s no replacement for a new bike that u break-in. I’m not saying that used bikes aren’t ok. I’ve bought many. I went with the extended warranty on both our bikes. It would be unusual for a Harley owner to thrash his or her bike. But, you just never know. Either way you go it’ll be a Harley and you can’t go wrong there.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:45 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuente,

First of all Welcome to the Forum! Glad you found us.

I would disagree slightly with Kentlca slightly. I agree with him 100% on the fuel injection portion of his statement, however, from what you have said, it sounds like a decent bike, with a few hundred dollars in add ons already there, for less than the full amount. 1200 miles is only a month or two of riding (depending on how much you plan on riding), and once again, with the 1000 mile service done...that is another expense you won't have to absorb...you now have 3800 until the next scheduled maintenance.

You seem pretty positive about it, so I would tend toward the used one...

Seems like a good deal, IMHO.

Mac

Old 02-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Topsail
Cruiser

Offer him $13000 and see if he bites?

I got my 04 FXDX for $14500 + $1000 in store credit, which I used to install V&H Longshots, Stage 1 mod and highway pegs.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:04 PM
kentlca
Advanced

pilot1996 has given me good advice. maybe he'll bite at 13.K

Old 02-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Fuente
Advanced

Couple of notes to your replies:

* The thunderheader, along with the work that went with it, could have cost slightly more than 1 thousand. Buying a new one at $13,900 "out the door" means I return 'through the door' to spend another thousand to get the same bike that I hopefully (good advice to make an offer) could get for 2k less. We'll see.

FDX vs FDXI - This new/used one with 1200 miles is a carb. I have heard both sides... some say they would only own a carb, others say the fuel injected is the way to go. The techs who work on them definitely prefer the carb... "the injected just gives more things that can go wrong with your bike".

Thoughts?

Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
sims5
Cruiser

Another thought you might want to consider is the interest rate on a new bike versus a "used" bike. The banks around here really like the new bikes better and your dealer can probably get a prett good rate for you on the new one. I think that the deal would have to be better for me to go with the "used" one. That being said I did just buy an 01 FXDL with 8000 miles on it, had around $3k in chrome and extras, would have taken me too long to come up with the $3k to put on a new one. Gotta have the bling bling NOW! Don't fool yourself, you'll get the chrome bug just like the rest of us here on the forum.

Good luck with your decision, look forward to seeing it.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Fuente
Advanced

Rates at my credit union would be 7.25% with 80% down. Harley can do 10% down @ 8.25%. It's not much difference to me when you consider that even though the dealer/harley allows only 10% down, which is good initially, the cost of the bike would be more than if I bought the used one with 1200 miles. And.... as far as taxes, etc.... the price amount can be fudged a bit so DMV still bites, but not quite as hard. Sorry, just being honest.

Bottom line with all of this to me.... the seller let's it go at 13k, and the carb is not an issue. I am still waiting to hear more about the carb vs injected. Thanks to all. You can tell I am leaning toward the used, even though an out the door price of 13,900 is excellent. I just fear putting more into the bike (stage 1, thunderheader, etc.) from jump. The used one... and again, I emphasize this 'used' one looks like a showroom model... has all I need until the chrome bug bites.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuente,

There is a thread on the forum concerning EFI vs Carb. We had this out about a month ago I think. In the end, it seemed to come down to preference. If you have the know how and tinker knowledge, Carb...if you are not, than EFI might be better for you. I'm an EFI guy, so I'll no try to persuade you either way...do the search and read the thread...you'll get all the info you need. A lot of smart guys weighed in on that one.

Mac

Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Fuente
Advanced

EFI vs Carb issue:

It's obvious that EFI is preferred 3 to 1 by reading various threads. No, I would not tinker at all if there was a problem. I would simply take it to a shop and let an expert diagnose and solve the problem.

My dilemma is that the used bike I am hoping to purchase is a Carb... perhaps that will cause me to back off this potential deal. I am not crazy about warming up this Dyna with a Thunderheader for extensive periods of time prior to riding. The seller told me he pulls out the choke, cranks it up, waits about 30 seconds and pushes the choke halfway in... waits another 30 seconds or so.... then keeps the choke halfway out for the first couple of miles... then pushes it back in. Does this sound right? Southern California 'cold' is 50 degrees, please keep in mind.

If the choke is going to be a headache for me, then maybe I have to purchase a Dyna with EFI from the dealer as opposed to the used '05 with 1200 miles... much to my chagrin, because then I have to pay for the Thunderheader Stage 1, etc..

Important question: Would the used bike having a carb back you off and head you to the dealer? Keep in mind, when all is said and done, the dealer costs me roughly 1k more for basically the exact same machine... sans 1200 miles and carb. And... this all assumes a Stage One with Thunderheader (any other recommendations instead of this exhaust pipe?) is a $1000.

Last few pieces of advice much appreciated, please!

Quick Reply: Is This Dyna a Good Deal?