Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulator works great!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 AM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlight Modulator works great!

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

let me know how great it is after the cager pulls out in front of you and says you were flashing your lights that it was OK.
It's not that kind of flash. It flashes very quickly, going in graduated steps from dim to bright. It almost looks a police car or ambulance from far away. It's very noticable.No one would ever think you were signaling them that it's OK to turn in front of them.

Wally

Old 12-19-2007, 07:22 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can provide a list of riders who have had that happen to them, Another list of riders who installed and then removed due to frequency of near misses. Personally, it's an invitation for disaster.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
cigarman
Cruiser

Point taken. If I was a wise guy I would ask you to provide that list, but I'm not and really it is not important to me anyhow.

[sm=dontgetit.gif] Whats the big deal to have one. When I startmy bike the low beams go on. If I am in a situation where I think it would be best to be noticed, I use the high beams with the modulator. If I think it may not be helpful, I just keep thelow beams on. At night the modulator does not work because of the light sensor.

Kind of like safety equipment like my horn or auxillary lights--whenI need them I push the button, when I don't--well you get the idea.

I have quick disconnects on my windshield and put it on when I think it may be advantageous. I have ridden on really windy days when the windshield was a detriment so I took it off, but on a cold day, I love that thing.

Like I said, anything that may give me an edge.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I can provide a list of riders who have had that happen to them, Another list of riders who installed and then removed due to frequency of near misses. Personally, it's an invitation for disaster.
Bull$hit

Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
00ICUR12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im interested in the Krisan modulator. Any one know who has the best price?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:29 AM
labfreak
Road Master

http://www.kriss.com/harleymod.php

Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 AM
HFD838
Intermediate

Does anyone know why it is the high beam used and not the low beam. Does it make a difference?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
cigarman
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HFD838

Does anyone know why it is the high beam used and not the low beam. Does it make a difference?
It is the default with the Visipath, but you can change it to work with the lowbeam. The Kriss is just set up that way.

It is a matter of control, your headlight goes on lowbeam. If you want the modulator to work, switch to highbeam and as long as there is ambient daylight, it works. At night the modulator does not work and there is a delay so that if you pass briefly into shade or darkness, it continues to work.

BTW, it is legal in all 50 states and has federal controls as to rate of flash (240X per minute, I believe). If you go on the Visipath site or do a google search, you will get a link to federal regs.

I don't believe that there is any way that someone could misinterpret a modulator flash for someone giving them a flashing "go-ahead" signal. That would be like looking at a police car or ambulance with the strobing headlights coming at you (or in your rearview mirror) and thinking they were telling you to go ahead.

As for headlight wear, there are studies quoted and indications are it makes no difference in meaurable life--remember these lights are not the old style filiment bulbs--anyhow since it is onlt on the highbeams, the worst that can happen is that your highbeam goes out and you can use that exuse to put in a better headlight.

Hey, I'm a gadget freak and a safety freak and so it works for me...

Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
labfreak
Road Master

Great answer cigar! [8D]
Mine is set on the high beam and that is good 'cause I want it to go to low when the light fades. Seems like it gets swithched off strobe at dusk, I put some white reflective tape neer my sensor to try and keep it flashing later, it helped a bit.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 PM
DynaDon
Cruiser

Mine is on a manual switch. It is also a seperate bulb (55W) next to the main bulb low beam bulb. This way it does not come on like gangbusters. My biker buds HATEriding in front of modulators - drives them crazy. They are old school I guess.
I prefer using a modulator.