Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAS MILEAGE -VS- SPEED PET PEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
strengthin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS MILEAGE -VS- SPEED PET PEEVE

All right here we go. I just left the HD shop and got into a conversation w/ a group of guys over gas mileage. Someone try to explain to me how they can justify NOT doing motor mods to their bikes b/c the gas mileage drops. You're already at 45+ miles per gallon! These guys need to take their skirts off and get on the throttle! Anyone that has ever rode a bike that throws you back will NEVER B**CH about gasmileage! What is with this? I hear it more and more. Don't try to tell me about the distance riders b/c I agree w/ their mindset that mileage would be important. I'm talking about the guys that mod their motors and then complain about gas mileage. Am I off base here? Man, I can't seem to put enough gas in my bike in a a riding season! Is anyone else hearing this way too often? For those complaining, I just a got a call from the Honda Shop. They said to tell ya your new bikes ready for pick up.I'm sorry I gottago kick the Dog. . .

Old 12-16-2007, 10:23 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master
Default RE: GAS MILEAGE -VS- SPEED PET PEEVE

if you aint the lead dod, the view never changes. dont know my gas milage, never will

Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Limey
Tourer

I could understand it here in the UK with fuel prices at around $9 a gallon (yes really) but not over there.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back when a motorcycle was my only form of transportation and I rode to work every day hell yes I cared about gas milage.When money was tight I'd take the wifes 50mpg Ninja 500 over my hot rodded up Suzuki that could barely manage 40.Now that I have other vehicles and the morning temps are dipping into the 20s I'll take that 20mpg pick up truck in a heartbeat.Come to think about it though it's never stopped me from modding my bike, I could go for a bigger gas tank though that would be usefull.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extremely poor fuel mileage just might tell you there is an underlying problem. I check my fuel mileage all the time, and if I am not gettin 46 to 50 mpg on long distance runs, something just ain't right.

DougJ

Old 12-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Clutch66
Tourer

I've only checked my milage twice and that was just for the curiosity factor. I checked one tank before I did some mods and then one tank after.
The mods were removing stock mufflers and installing KromeWerks slash cut, installing a PCIII, and installing a SE air cleaner.
Before.......40 m.p.g.
After.........39 m.p.g.
But, in both cases, as always,I run the dog$hit out of my scoot. So my milage isn't a good indicator.
As said above, who really cares, if I did, I'd be riding a step-through scooter (God forbid).

C66

Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM
strengthin1
Cruiser

Point taken Doug. Poor gas mileage could be an indicator of something bigger unless you always have it full throttle. I can normally tell though when my bike isn't running well (at least running bad enough to change the gas mileage). Thanks for the feedback. Once again I'm just venting a little.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 PM
krautrock
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: strengthin1
... Someone try to explain to me how they can justify NOT doing motor mods to their bikes b/c the gas mileage drops. ...
Explanation: Because it's their bike and they can do with them whatever the hell they please.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: strengthin1

Point taken Doug. Poor gas mileage could be an indicator of something bigger unless you always have it full throttle. I can normally tell though when my bike isn't running well (at least running bad enough to change the gas mileage). Thanks for the feedback. Once again I'm just venting a little.
I check my mpg frequently, cause I do run the **** out of er, and am always foolin around with my exhaust, plug gap,and TFI. Reading my plugs and checkin the mpg just gives me somethin ta do............ I understand your rantand it is well taken.

Now, if I could just get more than 6500 miles out of a rear tire

DougJ

Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
strengthin1
Cruiser

Krautrock,
Explanation: Weak excuse if you ask me. You're right they can do whatever the FU** they please w/ their bike but they can also keep their panty waist crying to themselves or join a red hatters group and stay on the porch!

Quick Reply: GAS MILEAGE -VS- SPEED PET PEEVE