Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Toolbag" for Riser mount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Varmint
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Toolbag" for Riser mount?

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Here's one very similar to the one I saw in the dealer store except the leather was much more rigid. Other than that, it looked almost like this. I guess, if nothing else, I could tie it on using the leather strings hanging off of it.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...Fork-Bag-1.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/5F76944609554090AB7520E20A5A97DC.jpg[/IMG]
That is the same bag, EXACT same bag harley's been makin for the last 18+ years. Bought the same one in '89. I just remember it being a supple leather outsidewith a fake fur inside. (HMMM. Kinda the opposite of....) good bag. Hold all yer flat fixin gear and then some.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:46 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/5F76944609554090AB7520E20A5A97DC.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate the help and suggestions everyone. I ended up getting the one pictured above. Turns out it is the same one I was thinking of. It's a bit stiffer than I thought from the "soft leather" description. It is soft leather but is just what I was looking for. Now, I need to wrap it up only to open it again and act surprised to my kids next week.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 10:49 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one on my risers, but didn't like how it rubbed the chrome. Looking for one that I can hook to the frame just below the voltage regulator, maybe between the highway bar mounts? With the WG rake, think there is enough room to allow it to fit withour the front fender or wheel hitting it. Know it the lid will have to seal tight to keep the road grime from getting inside of it.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:22 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gman

I had one on my risers, but didn't like how it rubbed the chrome. Looking for one that I can hook to the frame just below the voltage regulator, maybe between the highway bar mounts? With the WG rake, think there is enough room to allow it to fit withour the front fender or wheel hitting it. Know it the lid will have to seal tight to keep the road grime from getting inside of it.
I have seen what you are referring to on bikes but I'm not a bag expert really. Now that I've gone looking, I know that there are at least 2 types of mounts - windshield and fork/handlebar. I don't know if there is a third type for frame mounting or if people are taking fork bags and putting them down there. This particular bag seals up very well. It has what appears to be a waterproof zipper and then a wide strip of velcro that runs almost the length of the bag to hold the flap closed over the zipper. With that said, however, I'm not sure I'd use this particular bag down there as the leather is very soft. I'd probably try and put a harder bag down there where it is going to constantly get blasted with anything that comes off your front tires.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if there is a third type for frame mounting or if people are taking fork bags and putting them down there.
I mounted my bag down low and it essentially disappears from view as it's not right in your face like it would be if mounted on the forks or risers. You can see what I mean in the pic attached.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5333/DF3431C890BC452BA882F8016E7D6021.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

I mounted my bag down low and it essentially disappears from view as it's not right in your face like it would be if mounted on the forks or risers. You can see what I mean in the pic attached.
First off, let me say - great looking scoot!

The bag looks and works great down there. It appears you have the more rigid type of bag and that is what I was thinking would be better down there on the lower frame like that.

I actually want mine up top for a reason though. When I changed to t-bars, I needed 8" risers to get my hands where I wanted them due to my height (6'4" and long torso).I love the bars but don't really like the long risers showingand so I was looking for something to break up those long risers. I went out and test fitted the new bag before wrapping them up and it does just what I want it to. I wanted/needed a small bag anyway to put some things in when riding without my roll bag but didn't want to strap my big ole roll bag up front. So, I killed 2 birds so to speak by getting something I could use and by making it work and look like i wanted.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, let me say - great looking scoot!

The bag looks and works great down there. It appears you have the more rigid type of bag and that is what I was thinking would be better down there on the lower frame like that.
Thanks for the thumbs up.

The bag I have is in fact a "rigid soft" leather if that makes sense. It holds it's form and doesn't look or get all droopy like some bags do which I think is what you were after too. I understand your reasoning behind wanting it mounted on the risers and I would do the same if that's what I wanted. I've often thought of relocating mine up there as it would be easier to get into but I guess I just like mine down low for the reason I stated previously.

Hope the "surprise" is genuine come the 25th!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

Thanks for the thumbs up.

The bag I have is in fact a "rigid soft" leather if that makes sense. It holds it's form and doesn't look or get all droopy like some bags do which I think is what you were after too. I understand your reasoning behind wanting it mounted on the risers and I would do the same if that's what I wanted. I've often thought of relocating mine up there as it would be easier to get into but I guess I just like mine down low for the reason I stated previously.

Hope the "surprise" is genuine come the 25th!
You've got too much nice stuff going on up there to put yours there. With your setup, I'd leave it right where it is. No need to break up all that lovely chrome. The bag I got is very soft leather but is surprisingly rigid with all the padding and lining in it and it should not droop - especially if I keep stuff in it, which I will. I need a place to keep my clear glasses for when it gets dark on me. I also want to keep a few basic tools with me among other things. I had seen this bag at another dealer while I was having my bike inspected but when I took it out to test fit it, I realized they had pulled my bike into the service bay.So, I put the bag back and forgot about it. Then when I went looking again, all I could find was this bag online that I thought looked the same but was advertised as "soft leather". I didn't want a droopy bag. When I found it again yesterday, though, I realized the soft leather bag and the bag I had seen were one in the same. The best part, the dealer I happened to be in at the time was running a 15% off all "luggage" sale that particular day - and I didn't even know it. It's a stretch to call this little thing luggage but they considered it so and gave me the discount. I was having trouble convincing myself that it was worth $50. You know how it is, you feel like you are paying half the price for the HD name on it - and you are for the most part. It was an easier purchase once I found out it was on sale.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Wide96_6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to block the chrome up top mount it where I did, behind the passenger peg and right below the shock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44569/A59A2B3C65FC40A19DB9DED208F5D3F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Wide96_6

If you don't want to block the chrome up top mount it where I did, behind the passenger peg and right below the shock.
Very cool place to put it! However, I was saying I can see why PowerCobra wouldn't want to block all the chrome on his bike. And, normally, I'm not one to want to cover any chrome at all. However, I do want to try and break up those tall risers on mine. I really like the look of 6" risers on drag bars better but they just didn't fit me as I'm 6'4" and a lot of my height is from the waist up. I needed the 8" risers and associated pullback to get my arm/hand position just where I wanted it. The fitment of these bars is perfect for me, I couldn't ask for anything better. But, I don't like the looks of it as much as the 6"ers. I wanted a bag anyway and putting it there does exactly what I wanted it to do.

Quick Reply: "Toolbag" for Riser mount?