Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 FXD forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007 | 09:17 AM
Hounds2
|
Cruiser
Default 07 FXD forward controls

i am planning on getting the forward control kit for my 07 fxd. i plan on leaving the original shift lever in place in case i want to change back. i have looked at the previous threads and cannot find out a couple things:
1) how do you secure the front lever that is left loose behind the inner primary?
2) does harley sell a chrome cover for the old shift shaft?
3) more importantly, some have said that shift leverage is impaired by doing the install like this. one of the threads said that the rear lever behind the inner primary is replaced in the 06 kit. i have not been able to find out just what is in the 06+ forward kit. my dealer says he doesnt know either. i asked if he could get me a copy in the install instructions but he claims he can't do that either. i would appeciate any comments from anyone that has done this. i really dont want to blow the money if its not going to work as i'm not going to saw the lever off or pull my inner primary.

thanks

scott

Old 12-12-2007 | 10:32 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: 07 FXD forward controls

You can find a chrome cover for the mid-shift spline. And, no the mid-shift linkage is not a hindrance if you leave it there as long as you figure out a way to lock it back behind the primary out of the way. The Kuryakyn forward control kit that I have was made to do just that - cover the spline and pin the linkage away so I know it will work that way.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:07 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

My brother and I both have 2006 Dynas and we used the 2005 and older kit.

It is cheaper and has worked fine on our bikes. I did it for the same reason...easy to change back to stock if needed. Didn't hurt that it was cheaper also!

The kit comes with a bracket that bolts to the old shifter linkage and secures it to the motor.

It also has the chrome cover that bolts onto the splined shifter shaft.

I got my kit from M&M Cycles.

The new kit's install is more involved since you need to remove the primary to get the shaft out and then plug the hole.

This is a HUGE picture, but it allows you to see the older kit installed on a newer bike. Some guy's say it looks bad, but I think they only say that because they spent more on the 2006 kit!

Old 12-12-2007 | 02:28 PM
Frozen Crome
Intermediate

I am planing on doing the same thing so I figured I would get a head of the ball and get everything on order because the dealership was doing a 20/20 deal. I had to cancel because they said they would not put the forwards on without removing the shaft in the Primary and it was going to be 4 hours well I guess I will have to do it my self. I think I still have a copy of the install instructions at my house I will check for ya tonight.

Old 12-12-2007 | 02:39 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Frozen Crome

I am planing on doing the same thing so I figured I would get a head of the ball and get everything on order because the dealership was doing a 20/20 deal. I had to cancel because they said they would not put the forwards on without removing the shaft in the Primary and it was going to be 4 hours well I guess I will have to do it my self. I think I still have a copy of the install instructions at my house I will check for ya tonight.
Yep, about a year ago, my dealer told me that. The next day I ordered the Kuryakyns online cheaper than the HD's and put them on myself in about 2 hours. Now, if/when I or the next person to own my bike wants to go back to mid-controls, they can in about the same amont of time.

Old 12-12-2007 | 03:02 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

i did the same thing and i just zip tied the original shaft to the linkage.

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:09 PM
Hounds2
|
Cruiser

I just spent some time at my harley dealer and my friend the parts man and i took a look at the 06+ kit. from what i can tell there may be some issues with the back shift lever on the trans. the kit comes with a replacement that's about an inch taller. the only way to install that is to remove the inner primary (it looks like). i asked about the 2005 kit and he wasnt sure if it would work on the 96 motor. i am beginning to wonder if the Kuryakyn kit might work better. i would be interested if anyone has installed the 05 kit on an 07 or newer. i also would like to know how everyone did on installing the Kuryakyn kit. was it an easy install? thanks for your imput.

scott

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:20 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought the '06 Hd kit and installed it without removing the stock linkage.
Sorry I don't have any pics.
I took the stock shifter linkage and stuffed it behind
one of the bolts coming out of the back of the crank case.
It's been like that for almost two years with no problems.
With the linkage wedged behind this crank bolt
the other end is flush with the outter primary cover.
A little black touch up paint and your good to go.

EDIT: Sorry, I wrote in short sentences so
you wouldn't have to scroll back and forth.

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Kuryakin 100 dollars more has the parts you need and looks a little nicer. also can get 2 inch extention kit for same $ if that would be interesting to you. easy to install !

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:27 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rounder

Kuryakin 100 dollars more has the parts you need and looks a little nicer. also can get 2 inch extention kit for same $ if that would be interesting to you. easy to install !
Agree on all counts except the price. Plenty are usually for sale on ebay 100 bucks less than retail, often with free shipping.

Quick Reply: 07 FXD forward controls