Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipped my street bob to Korea

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 AM
gt46660
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipped my street bob to Korea

I am stationed over in Korea and I decided to ship my bike here. So In October I went on leave and had it packed up. I watched the guys put it in a large well constructed box. Seemed really safe.

Well to my dismay when they cracked the box here and I rolled it out this is what I found. They ran a strap across the seat from the front to rear. scratched and put rub marks on the tank. The right side mirror was bent it 2 places. ( how the hell did they do that?) It was bent into the master cylinder and it has a leak. And the horn cover is scratched....

Could of been worse, hell I wanted new mirrors any way. But It was nice to ride it. 43 degrees doesnt feel that bad!

[:@]

Old 12-12-2007, 03:55 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Shipped my street bob to Korea

I'm glad you got your skoot there, but I'm sorry to hear about the damages. Hopefully the shipping company will accept responsibility and pay for the damages. I'm sure they must have done a pre-shipping inspection. Enjoy the riding!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 AM
gt46660
Cruiser

Oh yeah, It will be payed for. I shipped it under govt. orders so the Army will fix and then get the money from the company. They just recently started doing the 100% rembuirsement so I am lucky there.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you stationed? I was down in KwangJu in 84-85.

A lot of pretty country side over there. Be careful. Sorry they messed up your scoot.

DougJ

Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Dude,

Where are you stationed? I am on orders for the summer of 2008. I will be there in July. I will probably be stationed in Seoul. If you will still be hanging around, we could go for a ride or two. I have been to Korea twice before: 1999-2000 Camp Stanley, 2003-2005 Camp Walker. I took my sport bike with me last time and found some fantastic mountain roads to ride. Little to no traffic and beautiful scenery. I look forward to exploring the northeast of Korea near Chunchon and eastward. Lots of beautiful places to go and I can't wait. I gotta get out of Afghanistan first, then go back home and pick up my new FXDL, break it in, do a few mods then off to Korea for a three year tour. Give me a shout.

M.A.C.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 AM
gt46660
Cruiser

(UH60Hwkdrvr)

Hey what do your orders say? I am guessing if youare flying blackhawks you will be working out of K16 , unless you end up in staff hell...

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain

GT,

I am a Warrant Officer and I will be asking to go to K-16. My wife wants to live in Seoul, so that is where I will ask to go. Seoul traffic is not something I am looking forward to, however, on a bike it should make the commute to and from work a piece of cake!

How long are you planning on staying this tour? I was looking for a little stability before retirement. I am tired of spending a lot of time away from home. This time, I plan on staying put for three years with the family. It should be a lot of fun. Let me know where you are and how long you will be staying. I will give you a shout when I arrive next year and you can show me some of the good places to ride.

M.A.C.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I was in Korea for 13 months. (Camp Page / Chun' chon 4/501st AttackHelicopter Battalion) It was an unaccompanied tour for almost everyone except senior officers and their family. It was one of the dirtiest most crowded dumps I have ever seen or had the misfortune of being in.

I know, I know,the sandbox is worse.I spent time in Egypt and there isnt anyone currently shooting atus in Korea, but what a miserable fu(k hole.

I wish you all safe travels and good fortune who are headed there. Be safe on your skootswhile driving in the ROK,some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Good luck and return home safe.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain

Frank,

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your tour.

Korea is a fantastic place with many wonderful things to experience. Seoul is a city with over 20million residents. What an awesome metropolitan environment (museums, theaters, shopping, open air markets, etc...). Very efficient and clean subway system. Taxis are abundant and cheap. The food is wonderful and cheap. The culture is very interesting. I love their service oriented culture. Go into the cheapest of restaurants and you will be treated like you are spending hundreds of dollars. Nice apartments paid for by the US government for soldiers. If you can stand the traffic, getting out of town and traveling some of the country roads will have you in awe of some of the scenery. The driving culture is different from ours, not wrong, just different. (I rode my sport bike on my last tour without nary a problem from the local gendarmes.)

Sure there are things about Korea that I don't like, but I don't focus on those things. I try to focus on the good things and enjoy myself. There are things about my own country that Idon't like, but I don't focus on them either.

I have spent the past year away from my family dodging bullets. I don't care to spend the remaining few years in the service repeating this exercise. There are very few places left in the Army for my job, both Stateside and Overseas, that will keep me from deploying. I have mulled my options and Korea is where I will stay until retirement. Good quality of life in an interesting country.

M.A.C.

P.S. I was a Deputy Sheriff for five years before joining the Army.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I suppose its how you look at HawkDrvr..

glass half empty or half full... All of those things you mentioned that were positive while you were there scenery, people (way too many IMO) beautiful sites.. etc.. were NOT there when I was stationed there. I particularly found portions of their culture to be extremly jingoistic. Not that I am a raving liberal (trust me I am not) Its just that most women I saw were 2nd class citizens period.

I only remember seeing ONE thing thatI found beautiful the entire time I was there. I have not seen one since but I think they are indiginous or we at least have a subspecies here in this country.. I think it was a Golden?? pheasant. It had a red head and large gold feathered body, and for just a few seconds.. I had the pleasure of viewing this magnificent creature.

I am glad that you have found a location that will prevent Uncle from sending you in for more target practice.. either looking for, or being one.

Again.. good luck

An'yo-gae-say-'oh

I did the police thing after leaving the Army... 13 years and counting thus far.

Quick Reply: Shipped my street bob to Korea