Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Limiter - Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rev Limiter - Questions...

Hi all,

So what exactly is the rev limiter on the new bikes? Partcularly as it pertains to the new EFI models.

1) What is it's purpose?

2) Where is it set...rpm-wise?

In the 2400 mile I put on my 07 SB this past season, I never noticed a point in riding it that I wanted more rpm than I was getting....even when dropping to 4th to pass s l o w vehicles.

I have a basic Stage I set-up now, pipes, a/c, fuelpak mudule, but no weather to really run the bike through it's paces.

Does the Stage I flash dl turn the rev limter off? I realize if I were to get it, I would need to change maps for the FP.

I'm looking for a little better performance, smooth throttle, better sound, and for the engine to run smoothly. In what I have witnessed so far, I believe all the goals have been achieved. I have zero desire to do any more in-depth engine mods. I'll buy a new bike first. If I do encounter any rough running or if I hit the limiter, I want to be prepared for my next step; turning it off or perhaps trying a different fuel management tuner.

Just curious about this...

Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rev Limiter - Questions...

Tim, the rev limiter is there to protect the engine from being over-rev'd and messed up. I've seen the question asked about adjusting the rev limit through the SERT and other devices so perhaps it's controlled through the ECM. I don't know for a fact, but I've seen posts that say it is set at 6200 rpm and shouldn't be changed on a stock drivetrain whether you are stage 1 or not. And, no, the fuelpak doesn't disconnect, modify, or bypass the rev limiter. In normal driving, you're probably like me and have never hit the rev limiter. Go into a burnout pit, though, and get carried away, and you'll hear it when it kicks in.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Trotter
Banned

The Stage 1 Down Load changes it from 5800 to 6200... Or the SERT lets you set it, Never turn it off... The Stage 1 is a Flash down load, so you have it ? Or you have a High Flow A/C and High Flow Slip On's and the Fuel Pak ?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Thanks G

Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I had an 03 Heritage with a 105hp/1110tq motor with the stock rev limiter (5700rpm). Also had lower gearing, 3.37. The only time I wish I had it was in first gear only because it revved so fast. I just learned to shift quicker if I decided to gas it thru the gears.
My 07 Ultra is only stage 1 with a PC111. I did enable the 6200 rpm rev limiter but it is totally unnecessary. A well tuned stage 1 96" makes peak hp at about 5000rpm.
I hit the limiter once and that was on purpose to see if I enabled it properly.
All that being said, you won't hurt anything by doing it.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trotter

The Stage 1 Down Load changes it from 5800 to 6200... Or the SERT lets you set it, Never turn it off... The Stage 1 is a Flash down load, so you have it ? Or you have a High Flow A/C and High Flow Slip On's and the Fuel Pak ?
What would we do without Trotter? So, the stock setting is 5800 but fuelpak has no way to modify that right Trotter? I've seen it written that you don't want to go beyond 6200 on a stock drivetrain - is that also your opinion?

You certainly don't want to turn it off Tim but I get the feeling someone has put a bug in your ear that it's holding you back somehow - it's not. You shouldn't need to rev the engine to 5800 before you shift to the next gear. But, if you do, the limiter keeps you from going past that point and doing damage to the motor.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:00 AM
flynavy
Road Master

No, I don't have the flash Stage I dl - I am running the appropriate map on Fuelpak that specifies no flash dl.

I'm not interested in turning it off, just wanted to really know why it was there, and would it ever prevent me from riding the way I wanna ride. So now I know the SERT can't turn it off...just allow you to see it.

The flash Stage I raises it from 5800 to 6200....not much of a difference there...why does it get raised in the 1st place? What use is 6200 over 5800?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Trotter
Banned

The Stock setting is 5800 Thats all you should need , Like Steve said... The Fuel pak does not change it.. My bikes stay at 5800 and they do 55 or 60 all day long... I hate replaceing Base Gaskets.. If you hit the REV Limiter you'll feel it more than hear it. I wouldnt have the Stage 1 Download done just for the Rev Limiter... I know your Fuel Pak wont like it..

Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Trotter
Banned

The Sert does Allow you to Adjust it Never needed to turn it Off... Adjusting the Rev Limiter allows for use with Some Builds with Different Cams and combinations for Top End which can produce HP in the Top end..My comfort range is 2800 to 4500 where I want my Torque don't really care about HP.. I'm into Smooth, quick response, and Longevity.... However I'm am building a 124" this winter fer giggles... I'm preparing for Mud's Visit for the Blue Ride Park Way run this Summer I'll need something for him to Ride... But He'll have to cover up those Bird Leg's with some Drawers...

[IMG]local://upfiles/24219/F933BAA2550D4505B0BEB46939BACC27.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Wow - gotta luv mud, but please....those legs!!!!

Thanks for the answers and info Trot and Greg!!

Happy Holidays to all

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter - Questions...