Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H Straightshot HS slip-ons for '07 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 06:18 AM
funguseater
|
Advanced
Default V & H Straightshot HS slip-ons for '07 Street Bob

I've recently fitted a pair of Vance and Hines Straightshots on my '07 Bobber. I havent done any other mods. It runs fine, except at high revs when it staggers but I have to really tanking it to make it do this.

I know you should fit a Fuelpack, but my local HD dealer suggested a power commander but quoted around £550 to fit it. They reckoned the V and H fuelpacks were no good for '07 Dyna range.

Any thoughts ?

Old 12-10-2007 | 06:36 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Default RE: V & H Straightshot HS slip-ons for '07 Street Bob

Dealer is FOS!

So the Dynas now have a "range?" Umm....range of what?

Contrary to what a lot believe, slip-ons, particularly ones as benign as V&H SS's, should run fine (however lean) with no other mods. The stock ECM will compensate some for the higher air flow out, and being a closed-loop system (feedback from the O2 sensors to the ECM for compensation and adjustment of conditions), you should be fine for most normal running around. If you are still skiddish about running so lean, get the HD ECU flash for Stage I. That should cure the staggers at high revs. If your dealer doesn't want to do it, or says there is no such thing, go to a different dealer or Indy shop. Your dealer is feeding you BS and trying to take your $$$

However, with just slip-ons you're cheating yourself and the bike out of 10 HP,some torque, and a really smooth throttlefor not getting a higher flow air beather and filter.Get one. Ness BS, SE, many out there for decent prices, particularly on Ebay.

After installing a higher flo a/c with more air in and out,you really "should" get some type of fuel management device to richen the mixture. Fuelpak works awesome on my 07 Dyna Bob with Straight Shots, and a Ness Big Sucker A/C. I personally know 3 people with 2007 model Dynas that successfully run V&H pipes and the Fuelpak.

PC is a great unit too. But way more money, and unless you plan on doing more engine mods further on down the road, more than you need. Fuelpak is easy to install, easy to program, and makes the bike run great. For $200 (US) you can't go wrong.

Old 12-10-2007 | 07:24 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Ditto, basically, what flynavy said.

V&H doesn't recommend fuelpak with the stock air cleaner. So, if you decide to install a fuelpak, PCIII, or any of the others, I suggest you look into a stage 1 a/c as well. Both Flynavy and I went through this exact same setup together a few weeks ago. We came to the conclusion that fuelpak is less expensive, easy to install, and sufficient for a stage 1 setup on an EFI HD. There are some here that disagree with that and won't even use a fuelpak to wipe their behind with. It's not a tunable device but it just adequately enrichen your air/fuel mix specific to your pipes, engine, and a/c enough to enable your motor to breath and run better and give you a little more performance output at the same time. If you own and can turn a wrench and a screwdriver, look to purchase the parts online and install them yourself - you will save a lot of money and won't have to argue with your single-minded dealer. PCIII is a nice device and is worth it if you plan to fine-tune your bike and are willing to spend money and time on a dyno tuner to work it out but, IMO, it's overkill if all you want is a stage 1 that is running okay.

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:57 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

I paid $269 for my PCIII and it came with a canned map for my CS Slip-ons and AN BS. I have now installed Rinehart slip-ons and it runs even better, with the same map. Not sure what that means, other than I'm gonna leave it alone and run it.

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:01 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07 StreetBob

I paid $269 for my PCIII and it came with a canned map for my CS Slip-ons and AN BS. I have now installed Rinehart slip-ons and it runs even better, with the same map. Not sure what that means, other than I'm gonna leave it alone and run it.
IMO it means you got a good tuning device at a good price but you aren't really doing anything more with it than you would with a fuelpak by using a canned map. But, at least you have something you could use if/when you mod the engine further or can fine tune on a dyno if you choose.With Fuelpak, a canned map is as good as it gets - but good enough for me.

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:34 PM
matkiwi
Road Master

ORIGINAL: funguseater

I've recently fitted a pair of Vance and Hines Straightshots on my '07 Bobber. I havent done any other mods. It runs fine, except at high revs when it staggers but I have to really tanking it to make it do this.

I know you should fit a Fuelpack, but my local HD dealer suggested a power commander but quoted around £550 to fit it. They reckoned the V and H fuelpacks were no good for '07 Dyna range.

Any thoughts ?
Are you sure you are not hitting the rev limiter ?
other than that what navy and 2007fxdc said ...

Old 12-10-2007 | 05:40 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: funguseater

I know you should fit a Fuelpack .....
Why do you say this? There are lots of options, just remember you get what you pay for! However you can save a bunch by checking some sources like Zanotti's HD, Dennis Kirk, Eastern Performance, ebay, etc.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:10 PM
etbiker
Advanced

i agree with matkiwi, "staggers at high revs" sounds like you hit the rev limiter...time to shift tothe nextgear!