Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflector Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
nofxd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflector Fiasco

So after months of reading about removing the reflectors, I finally got to it. I used the fishing line to take the reflector off, no problem. Then used Goof-Off to get the adhesive off, but when the smoke cleared my fork looked like junk. I think the clear coat came off as well so now I have all these blotches in that area. I like the way it looks with no reflector but now i think I am gonna have to put it back on just to cover it, unless there is a way to buff out the front forks so that is at least not so noticeable. Bummed! Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reflector Fiasco

Got any pictures? The fork sliders are clear powdercoated, the finish 'should' not have come off. If it's just scuffed up, you 'should' be able to buff it out.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
nofxd
Advanced

Any suggestions would be killer. Thanx!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

I used alcohol and WD40 on mine and didn't hurt the clear coat. Sounds like a little wax and polish outa bring it to shine.
As said, can you post a closeup pic of the damage?

DouJ

Old 12-09-2007, 11:23 PM
nofxd
Advanced

Thats the close up above. Its as bad as it looks. I think Goof off is too strong or something. The bad part is that i had a heat gun right next to me and if i would have just heated it and pulled it off it probably wouldnt have made a mark. Ill keep trying to polish it but it looks like it is what it is! Im not touching the other side till I figure this out and I am not going near the fenders!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used lots of heat from a hair drier and cleaned off the remaining sticky stuff with WD-40. Nothing like what I see in your photo. It appears to me you have have a few choices about ways to fix it. You can sand the lower down with some fine sand paper and re-clear.....or you can sand with even finer sand paper and polish both lowers....or you can have them powder coated....or you can re-install the reflectors. If it was me, I would try using more heat on the other side and see what the results were and then go from there. I do warn about using a heat gun as they tend to get VERY hot and can have adverse effects as well. Hair drier is much more forgiving. It just takes longer. I don't think goo-off was the culprit. I think there might have been a defect in the clear.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe something like Scratch-X will buff it out. I got good results using it on some light scratches in the clear-coat on my Vivid Black.

If not, look in the recent post Mud started about Fifty Dollar or less mods. In there, Tommay has a link to his instructions on removing the clear-coat and polishing his sliders to a chrome-like appearance. Looks great.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
BLade1127
Road Warrior

Can you feel it with your fingernail, and feel if it has for sure gone through the clear coat? A buddy of mine did the same thing, but used metal polish and it came out great. He didn't cut through the clear coat.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Sorry to say those don't look like blotches, they look like scratches/gouges. Which doesn't leave you much in the way of a quick fix.

Going to need to sand, buff, and re-coat somehow.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use something hard to scrape off the tape/glue? I used Goo Gone which I assume is about the same thing, and I had no problems on my sliders or rear fender. Like flynavy said, your damage looks like you may have gouged the surface.

Quick Reply: Reflector Fiasco