Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDC '07 -v- '08. Trying To Understand Differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 12:23 AM
stagolee
|
Road Master
Default FXDC '07 -v- '08. Trying To Understand Differences

Hello folks, this looks like a great forum. I've been reading for a while and only now decided to jump in.

I have a few questions about some _reported_ differences between the '07 and '08 Dyna Super Glide Custom. The specs below come from H-D's website.

Questions:
1) The '08 model has a base MSRP that's $1650 lower than the same bike in '07. Has H-D issued any reasoning behind the (smile producing) price drop?
2) The specs show that (at least at the factory) the '07 model has 0.7" more ground clearance than the '08. Factory mumbo jumbo? Or, how did they achieve this?
3) Any opinions on the attractiveness of the rear brakes of the 4-piston ('07) -v- the 2-piston torque free caliper ('08)? What does the difference mean to the rider?

Thanks.

[hr]
FXDC (2007)
MSRP: $14,645

[blockquote]Seat Height
- Laden: 26.8 in.
- Unladen: 27.8 in.

Ground Clearance: 6.0 in.

Tire Size
- Front: 100/90-19 57H
- Rear: 160/70B17 73V

Weight
- Dry Weight: 645.0 lbs.
- Running Order: 676.0 lbs

Brakes
- Front: 4-piston
- Rear: 4-piston
[/blockquote]

FXDC (2008)
MSRP: $12,995
(-$1650)
[blockquote]Seat Height
- Laden: 26.8 in.
- Unladen: 27.8 in.

Ground Clearance: 5.3 in.

Tire Size
- Front: 100/90-19 57H
- Rear: 160/70B17 73V

Weight
- Dry Weight: 645.0 lbs.
- Running Order: 676.0 lbs.

Brakes
- Front: 4-piston front and
- Rear: 2-piston torque free caliper
[/blockquote]

Old 12-06-2007 | 06:57 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: FXDC '07 -v- '08. Trying To Understand Differences

ORIGINAL: stagolee

Hello folks, this looks like a great forum. I've been reading for a while and only now decided to jump in.

I have a few questions about some _reported_ differences between the '07 and '08 Dyna Super Glide Custom. The specs below come from H-D's website.
My thoughts below each question:

Questions:
1) The '08 model has a base MSRP that's $1650 lower than the same bike in '07. Has H-D issued any reasoning behind the (smile producing) price drop? I think they realized they had to price the FXDC a little further away from some of the other bikes in order for it to sell better. However, while smile producing to an 08 buyer, it has had exactly the opposite effect on those of us that bought the '07. I have tried to put out of my mind this year that the moco has essentially pulled an additional thousand bucks out of my pocket as far as future resale/trade value by pulling this little stunt. Hard feelings aside, the price drop made an already good value (IMO) even better as far as what you get for the money. The bike is essentially the same bike as last year.
2) The specs show that (at least at the factory) the '07 model has 0.7" more ground clearance than the '08. Factory mumbo jumbo? Or, how did they achieve this? First I've heard of this. Given the bike has exactly the same frame, seat, motor, tranny, etc. and the seat height and length specs are exactly the same, I don't see how there could possibly be a difference in ground clearance. Of course all of those measurements are going to change anyway as soon as you start changing this and that and bolting on new stuff - and, believe me, you will.
3) Any opinions on the attractiveness of the rear brakes of the 4-piston ('07) -v- the 2-piston torque free caliper ('08)? What does the difference mean to the rider? Haven't even noticed they were changed in 08. There may be a few subtle differences (arguably improvements) on the 08 but the bike really is essentially the same.

I've had mine for over a year now and still love riding it and don't regret choosing it at all. To me, it's the best bang for the buck, as far as factory "extras", like chrome bits and pieces, going in the HD lineup. If you aren't into chrome, then the Street Bob, IMO, is the best bang for the buck - both dynas.

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:04 AM
drhooligan
Tourer

2007fxdc-Great answers to this guys questions. I notoced that you have the Ness BS, V&H's, and fuelpak. I'll bet that was agood bump over the stock power. Nice bike!

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:33 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: drhooligan

2007fxdc-Great answers to this guys questions. I notoced that you have the Ness BS, V&H's, and fuelpak. I'll bet that was agood bump over the stock power. Nice bike!
Bump is a good word to use for it. I got nervous about running the bike too lean when I installed the Straightshots so I wanted to add a fuelpak. V&H's told me not to do that without adding a high-flow a/c so I sort of backed into a stage 1 upgrade just trying to protect my engine. But, yes, the throttle response is great and on the high-end it puts the "glide" in super glide. Plus I really love the sound now and it seems to run a little cooler than before. However, I've only been able to take it on 2 short rides since the install because of the weather. But, we are expecting near 70's over the weekend and 70+ temps the first half of next week so I'll definitely be shaking it down some more.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. The sig pic is pre-stage 1 and pre-magnetic flame removal. Here is what it looks like now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/E97D4356576B480CA1921DE03398DE00.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/196442760CA6479FAE56DA92C927F9AF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/0694976DADA0472A8FD4CCCCC6B7909A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:33 AM
ssls6
Road Captain

There was a hole in their lineup between 10k bikes and 16k bikes. Pure marketing 101.

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:44 AM
JoyfulNoise
Advanced

I agree with all the answers already stated. I just traded my '05 Sporty for an '08 Super Glide Custom. I've been looking at the Dyna's since they redid the whole platform with the '06 model. I almost pulled the trigger last year but got a bit concerned with the complaints of the 96" engine running hot (most of which seems to have settled down). I'm glad I waited. When I saw the price change on the 08's, I knew that my wait was over. By a shear stroke of luck, I was visiting my local dealer around Thanksgiving and saw that he had a FDXC on the floor in the two tone cobalt blue/black. He hadn't had many customs this year yet because of the high demand. The ones he did get were usually sold before the dealer prep was done after coming off the truck. The stroke of luck was that this bike had been purchased by a newbie who was afraid of it after he took it home. He came back with 99 miles on it and traded it on an XL883L.

I now have the bike I've wanted for some time. It is great looking, powerful and handles easily. It is powerful and smooth. Talk about the "best bang for the buck". None better.

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:25 AM
drhooligan
Tourer

Agree, the 08 FXDC is the best bang for the buck in the current HD lineup. Great bike, test drove an 07 a while back in stock config andwasvery impressed.Good handling scoot, doesn't feel at all like a 600 and some pound bike in and out of turns. Nice to see a full size HD that is actually fun to ride on the aggressive side.

Old 12-06-2007 | 02:15 PM
Snakum
Cruiser

Well ...the '08s are just much, much better bikes all around than the '07s. Prettier, faster, cleaner, more comfortable, easier to maintain, just better all around. Hell son ... everybody knows dat.

Old 12-07-2007 | 10:41 AM
stagolee
|
Road Master

Thanks for all the feedback.

As you probably guessed, I'm in the market for a Dyna and am trying to figure out if the "CRAZY!!!(tm) DEAL!!!" that I'm seeing on the '07s is worth pursuing... and with the exception of fewer color choices, it's looking like '07 FXDC is the way to go right now... Unless they get a Black Denim Fat Bob with mid controls in stock between now and when I am ready to drop $$$.

As for the brakes... I still don't know if there's any noticeable difference between the 07s and the 08s. It's probably just "new year model... must change something..." rigamarole.

Again, thanks.

Old 12-07-2007 | 11:29 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stagolee

Thanks for all the feedback.

As you probably guessed, I'm in the market for a Dyna and am trying to figure out if the "CRAZY!!!(tm) DEAL!!!" that I'm seeing on the '07s is worth pursuing... and with the exception of fewer color choices, it's looking like '07 FXDC is the way to go right now... Unless they get a Black Denim Fat Bob with mid controls in stock between now and when I am ready to drop $$$.

As for the brakes... I still don't know if there's any noticeable difference between the 07s and the 08s. It's probably just "new year model... must change something..." rigamarole.

Again, thanks.
Couple of thoughts for you - just my2 cents.

First, if you really want a Fat Bob, don't settle for something else just because you can get it today or a wee bit cheaper. I love my Super Glide and don't think you can go wrong but if you really want a different bike, you'll probably find yourself always wanting it and it will either bug you forever or you'll end up taking a financial hit when you can't stand it any longer and go trade for the fat bob anyway.

Second, just know that there is nothing wrong with the brakes on the 07, at least not in my experience over the past year. They may have changed them on the 08 and they may have even improved them on the 08 but it's not like the 07 brakes are bad...

Quick Reply: FXDC '07 -v- '08. Trying To Understand Differences