Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07

I had a small bit of discussion in another thread that I basically hijacked the other day but I thought I'd start my own. I purchased the headlight pictured below via ebay, link below, from Eastern Performance. I haven't received it yet but understand it should fit but I'll need to splice the wires. So, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping to get answered so I can throw this puppy on there ASAP after I receive it.

First, there isn't a lot of play in the wire coming out the neck to the stock headlight. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best place and way to splice the wires? I'm hoping the new light will have a wire long enough that I can feed the spliced joints back down into the neck to hide them when I'm done.

Second, does anyone know what each stock headlight wire is for so I can crossmatch the colored wires on the new light? Not much chance they will be the same I'm guessing. And, even if they are, I don't want to assume they serve the same purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...QQcmdZViewItem

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/FF212057BC344D5389FDAACDD27379D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07

No help on the wiring, but it's a good looking headlight. It should look really good on your Dyna. "Tri bar clear lens" what does that mean exactly?
Where's flynavy when you need him? [8D]

Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Black is ground, white is low beam and yellow is high beam,

Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, don't remeber the colors, but:

one is high beam
one is low beam
black is ground

The new headlight will only have two wires because it is grounded at the mounting point. Hook those two wires up to the colored wires from the bike's harness and check your high beams. If they're backwards, reverse the wiring.

I cut and soldered my wires inside the bucket.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hk_shooter

No help on the wiring, but it's a good looking headlight. It should look really good on your Dyna. "Tri bar clear lens" what does that mean exactly?
Where's flynavy when you need him? [8D]
I think it has to do with the look as you look directly toward the headlight. I think you see three bars connecting in the middle.

Tim (flynavy) has already given me his opinion on this style light. He doesn't like it on dynas. I may not either but thought I'd take a chance. He probably has the wiring codes too but thanks to those that responded.

However, now I'm not clear on what to do with the ground coming from the bike - wire it to the mount?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cut my old wires so I could feed them through the new bucket. I actually soldered the old headlight plug back on the old wires and plugged it into the new headlight (after verifying correct high beam wiring).

You can do this, you can cut the ground and cap it, you can follow the ground to the hole in the neck and remove it from the harness completely.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

I just cut my old wires so I could feed them through the new bucket. I actually soldered the old headlight plug back on the old wires and plugged it into the new headlight (after verifying correct high beam wiring).

You can do this, you can cut the ground and cap it, you can follow the ground to the hole in the neck and remove it from the harness completely.
Okay, I think I got ya. I don't need to hook the stock ground wire up to anything because the headlight itself is grounded to the mount/forks/frame? So I can either tuck it away or get rid of it?

I'd like to keep my old headlight intact if at all possible. I try to keep most of my old takeoffs as the next person may find value in being able to go back to stock someday. However, with that said, I don't see where I'd have enough wire to splice or solder inside the shell unless I can somehow fish more up through the neck. I may need to stay with my plan to just do the best I can as neatly as I can and splice outside the light.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you just use a stock plug end on the new light.. I think there .50 and that way theres no cuttingand your stock head light stays factory. The harness for the stock head light is just inside the neck, pull the rubber plug out and follow the headlight wire there is plenty to pull gently out, unplug the factory plug and plug in the new plug... 73191-96 Dont rember the # for the pins but parts will have them... 20 min...

Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Why dont you just use a stock plug end on the new light.. I think there .50 and that way theres no cuttingand your stock head light stays factory. The harness for the stock head light is just inside the neck, pull the rubber plug out and follow the headlight wire there is plenty to pull gently out, unplug the factory plug and plug in the new plug... 73191-96 Dont rember the # for the pins but parts will have them... 20 min...
Trotter, if you have more time and are willing to share more details, I'm all ears. I see the wire going into the headlight with a rubber grommet around it. Not sure if and/or how I should pull that. Any more info? Also, I see that same wire going into a hole in the side of the neck on the bike. How would I follow it anywhere without removing parts - do I need to? Any more you can add would be appreciated. If there is a way to make this plug and play without cutting wires and splicing, I'm all for it - whether it's 50 cents or 5 bucks or even more.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one of those easternperfomance headlights on my '06 superglide custom. Sorry no pic though. It is the 5 x 9, I guess there is a 5 x 7 also. Since mine was the 5 x 9 I also had to get the extender mount from eastern too. The bullet end of the light is so long if you don't have the additional mount the back of the light will hang up on the frame. I really like how mine looks. It's got quite the retro look. I've seen at least 3 or 4 other bikes in here that have those same headlights. I'm planning on going with the chrome full shroud rear shocks to accent the retro look of the light. Then some nice drag bars and I'll be ready to go.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07