Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07

ORIGINAL: 06FXDCIRider

I got one of those easternperfomance headlights on my '06 superglide custom. Sorry no pic though. It is the 5 x 9, I guess there is a 5 x 7 also. Since mine was the 5 x 9 I also had to get the extender mount from eastern too. The bullet end of the light is so long if you don't have the additional mount the back of the light will hang up on the frame. I really like how mine looks. It's got quite the retro look. I've seen at least 3 or 4 other bikes in here that have those same headlights. I'm planning on going with the chrome full shroud rear shocks to accent the retro look of the light. Then some nice drag bars and I'll be ready to go.
Mine is the 4.5 x 7.5 (I think the extra .5 length accounts for the pount on the front). Think that will fit my bike without needing an additional mount. This one was advertised with a "universal" mounting bracket. If it's truly "universal", then it should fit anything - otherwise they are using the wrong word.

Did you install it yourself? If so, any hints or tips on how to do the wiring as far as splicing vs. Trotter's option?

I guess I'll find out soon enough about fitment - tracker shows it arriving tomorrow.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent

Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine on myself. I pulled out the service manual to check out the wiring and noticed that what was on the eastern light didn't match what came on the H-D bike. So I called eastern they said to hook such and such to other and other and bang it worked. Of course I can't remember what they said. That was a littleover a year ago. But those eastern guys are pretty friendly and they don't mind helping out their customers. I've called them 4 or 5 times now over different stuff I've bought. Wiring is really easy and I had plenty to work with as far as length goes.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 06FXDCIRider

I put mine on myself. I pulled out the service manual to check out the wiring and noticed that what was on the eastern light didn't match what came on the H-D bike. So I called eastern they said to hook such and such to other and other and bang it worked. Of course I can't remember what they said. That was a littleover a year ago. But those eastern guys are pretty friendly and they don't mind helping out their customers. I've called them 4 or 5 times now over different stuff I've bought. Wiring is really easy and I had plenty to work with as far as length goes.
So, did you just splice then and then hide the splices? I have no problem with wiring. I just got done wiring my whole shop this past weekend. But, I know enough about it to know it's best to know what color wires do what on each end or there could be trouble - lol. I don't mind calling them either if I have to.

As I told Trotter, it's probably best to get the light, open it up and see what I really have, and then take a closer look at what's going on with the stock setup and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you buy the 5 3/4 x7 or 9 " ? I just ordered the 5 3/4 x 7 for mine, also from eastern. Just waiting on the box to get here. I was gonna just open up the stock light and snip the wires in there and pull them out of the bucket. From my understanding, the new light isnt gonna have the black wire to hook up to the wireing harness, as its grounded when you bolt the light to the bike. Someone else who did this, removed the ground wire attached to the new bucket and connected it to the ground from the harness.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dklozik

Did you buy the 5 3/4 x7 or 9 " ? I just ordered the 5 3/4 x 7 for mine, also from eastern. Just waiting on the box to get here. I was gonna just open up the stock light and snip the wires in there and pull them out of the bucket. From my understanding, the new light isnt gonna have the black wire to hook up to the wireing harness, as its grounded when you bolt the light to the bike. Someone else who did this, removed the ground wire attached to the new bucket and connected it to the ground from the harness.
I got the 4.5 x 7 - I like the smaller look for my bike. Or, I may decide I don't. Which is why I like trotter's option of uninstalling the stock light, plug and all, and wiring the new light up with a replacement plug. But, I'll probably mount the light up or at least hold it up and make sure I'm "in love" with the look before I commit to installing it at all.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about the wiring bro, but I do like the looks of that light. Pics when done are mandatory!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We're in the same boat. Both of us are waiting on the box to arrive tomorrow. I'll be sure to post some pics as Im sure he will as well. At least then we can get anidea of what each one looks like. With my luck, he'll end up liking the bigger light and I'll like the smaller light....yeah, I think I'll mount and look before I start wiring.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hijacked?.... I was just trying to help.....

Gees!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Naz_Man

hijacked?.... I was just trying to help.....

Gees!
lol I said it was a thread that I hijacked. Then, later it got bumped up and I realized I actually started the thread. Kind of hard to hijack your own thread huh? lol

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Bullet Headlight on my 07