Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my bike be put on a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
snooper0069
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my bike be put on a dyno

I have the 07 Dyna with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak. Is it possible to run the bike on a dyno and make adjustments with this fuel pak.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
JimmySG
Cruiser
Default RE: Can my bike be put on a dyno

I think the fuel pack is very limited campared to a PC III &SERT
as far as tuning goes.
I saw a guy take the V&H FP off his RK and replace it with a PC III.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't heard alot of good things about the FuelPak. Wait till Trotter sees this thread and he'll give you an idea about how crappy they apparently are.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
abcd9906
Cruiser

I don't want to upset anyone, but the fuelpak is kind of a joke. It's just a crutch to get you through. With a sert or PCIII USB (which I have) You can do more fine tuning and actually get it closer toright. If I'm wrong .. Please feel free to set me straight. I took my FuelPak off though.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: abcd9906

I don't want to upset anyone, but the fuelpak is kind of a joke. It's just a crutch to get you through. With a sert or PCIII USB (which I have) You can do more fine tuning and actually get it closer toright. If I'm wrong .. Please feel free to set me straight. I took my FuelPak off though.
I disagree that it's a "joke" but agree that it's basically a crutch - if you want to use that word. However, if just getting through is what you are after, like I was, there is nothing wrong with it. A fuelpak is fine for a typical stage 1 to be sure you are getting the right air/fuel mix on your efi. If you want to do more than that, it's not the way to go.

Fuelpak leaves the diagnostic plug for the stock ecm exposed so the bike can still be run on a dyno. However, keep in mind that you don't "tune" a fuelpak, you program it with supplied codes for your setup/config. So, if you change that config or the dealer does, the fuelpak may not be able to do its job because it's no longer compatible with the ecm settings that were there. Fuelpak supplies codes for a given pipe make/model and assumes a high-flow a/c but does give different settings depending on whether or not you are running the ecm stock or if you've had a model HD download to the ecm. But, that's about it.

If you truly want to fine tune your bike on a dyno, go with a PCIII minimum, or a SERT.

All I wanted out of my engine was to free it up and make it sound better with stage 1 while maintaining a decent air/fuel mix to prevent damage to the engine. I care nothing about going further than that. So, fuelpak was all I needed and not a joke to me. If I ever had any plans to go further, I wouldn't have bought the fuelpak to begin with.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: abcd9906

I disagree that it's a "joke" but agree that it's basically a crutch - if you want to use that word. However, if just getting through is what you are after, like I was, there is nothing wrong with it. A fuelpak is fine for a typical stage 1 to be sure you are getting the right air/fuel mix on your efi. If you want to do more than that, it's not the way to go.

Fuelpak leaves the diagnostic plug for the stock ecm exposed so the bike can still be run on a dyno. However, keep in mind that you don't "tune" a fuelpak, you program it with supplied codes for your setup/config. So, if you change that config or the dealer does, the fuelpak may not be able to do its job because it's no longer compatible with the ecm settings that were there. Fuelpak supplies codes for a given pipe make/model and assumes a high-flow a/c but does give different settings depending on whether or not you are running the ecm stock or if you've had a model HD download to the ecm. But, that's about it.

If you truly want to fine tune your bike on a dyno, go with a PCIII minimum, or a SERT.

All I wanted out of my engine was to free it up and make it sound better with stage 1 while maintaining a decent air/fuel mix to prevent damage to the engine. I care nothing about going further than that. So, fuelpak was all I needed and not a joke to me. If I ever had any plans to go further, I wouldn't have bought the fuelpak to begin with.
Fully agree with your comments 2007FXDC. I have had a fuelpak on mine now for 5 months and have had no issues. And like you, have no desire to go beyond my slip-ons and high-flow A/C. If I change pipes at some point in the future, I'll update the fuelpak settings for that combination. If there isn't a setting out for it at that point in time, then perhaps I'll go with a PCIII or other.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

I agree with what 2007fxdc 100% also. I have Vance and Hines pipes, SE A/C and the FuelPak. The bike runs fine. True, it cannot be fine-tuned on a dyno, but if I wanter to do that I would have gone with a SERT.

Besides cost I see no reason to go with the PCIII over the SERT. It just adds another piece of hardware/point of failure and piggy-backs on the stock ECM. Ifyou want to squeeze every ounce of performance and like to add/remove aftermarket tuning parts, I believe SERT is the way to go.

But, if all you want to do is add pipes, A/C and have your bike run a little richer/cooler, there is nothing wrong with the FuelPak. There are many users on this board that have the FuelPak and are completely satisfied.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually changed from a PCIII to a Fuelpac. I have a 2006 and for some reason that no one knows (even PC) the PCIII on the 06's requires the bike to crack about 10 times before it will start. After getting no where over the phone with PC I brought it back to the bike shop and exchanged it for a Fuelpac plus some change. My bike runs great with the Fuelpac, better I think than with the PCIII and no cranking issues, and all I have are pipes and a K&N air filter. V&H does have some settings on thier website now for engine upgrades as well, though they are pretty limited.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a week of testing one on two different bikes, There very inconsistent.... Work for some and thats a good thing, but dont stray away from there Suggested pipe combinations.. Dyno docent apply for the Fuel pak... Maybe a Indy with a A/F Analizer..No way to adjust, and they wont tell you what setting does what... Scarry... Oh Thanks Jay.....

Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trotter

After a week of testing one on two different bikes, There very inconsistent.... Work for some and thats a good thing, but dont stray away from there Suggested pipe combinations.. Dyno docent apply for the Fuel pak... Maybe a Indy with a A/F Analizer..No way to adjust, and they wont tell you what setting does what... Scarry... Oh Thanks Jay.....
See, I do pay attention to what you tell me............