Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,056 Likes on 2,111 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO - under fifty bux

Last edited by mud; 08-21-2008 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DyNaMc (07-22-2018)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Finished!

Almost...
All I have to do now is put the chrome cap back on, and grind the blood marks on it.
Tommorrow.
Nice job Thomas.

Be sure to post up the finished pix.

mud

Last edited by mud; 03-09-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
mud
muderator

ORIGINAL: HogGlider

Under $50 and worth every singel penny of the $10 it costs!

Another cheap mod...remove the stock fender strut covers if you want the black look;
That's a real cheap one Glider. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: HogGlider
Drag Specialties Polyurethene (sp?) Handlebar bushings
Here is the thread for purchasing parts and pieces.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1726526/tm.htm

mud

Last edited by mud; 08-16-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:03 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I added or changed the plastic covering (conduit) on the wires from my handlebar controls to a mesh covering and it looks much better.So now I wanted to do the same thing to the turn signals and here's what I came up with.
Thanks to Mr. Mud's help I went to FRY.Com and ordered 4 different sizes of the mesh. Its identical to the stuff that Harley uses on the Wideglide and much nicer looking than the smooth plastic junk that the factory uses.
Here's the part numbers and sizes I ordered and all four of them cost about $35 delivered.
2281378 1/8" X 20'
2281388 1/4" X 16'
22813981/2" X 10'
22814083/4" X 8'
Each piece is only $6.99 and all together there's enough to do at least 2 complete bike's.

This is the plug that is used on my Softail and its probably the same on the Dyna's.
You'll notice that the pinouts are mirror images and I suggest that you only take the pins out of one side at a time. That will eliminate the possability of itgetting missplaced or lost on you and you'll have a ready guide to putting the pins back in properly. Just remember its exactly oppisite an you won't have a problem.

For the turn signals I used the 1/8" stuff so it would fit snugly over the original covering. First thing is to put a piece of tape over the pin plugs. It will make iteasier to slip the mesh over them. Onceyou have enough on so that its about 4" to 6" from the signal cut the mesh about 1" below the pins.
That should be more than enough to cover it and with it not completely on yet it will let you slidetwo short pieces of shrink tubing on much easier.

Once its all the way up it will look like this.

Because the mesh has a fairly low melting point you should put a short piece of electrical tape, enough for a little over one wrap around the end first. Then slide one piece of the shrink tube up and shrink it over the end. The shrink tube will keep the mesh from fraying or unraveling and give it a more 'finished' look.

Then do the same to the other end. You don't need the elecrical tape here because its going to be hidden under the tank. But its up to you.

Here's what the cable looks like before on the left, and the after on the right.

Now for my next trick, the headlight cable.

Good luck and ride safe
Frank

Old 02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok someone suggested I should put this in here so here you go.

A guy I know calls mybikeThe Beast of Burden so I was thinking why not incorporate The Beast into my bike and I decided to put a can of it over my oil filter.The can would not wrap completely around the filter so I had to cut it and it left about a 1.5 inch gap or so but that will face towards the bottom when I put it on so it shouldn't be that noticable. I also put the little poptop on top of the filter.

I bought a 12 pack of The Beast so it cost me about $5 something for the mod. You can of course use any other beer you like but the cost will rise from there.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great idea on the mesh for the headlights. i took mine off my old throttle cable and while i was in the backbone with my wiring for my handlebars slid it on the headlight wires, looks a lot better than the plastic insulation. thanks for the idea.

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I added or changed the plastic covering (conduit) on the wires from my handlebar controls to a mesh covering and it looks much better.So now I wanted to do the same thing to the turn signals and here's what I came up with.
Thanks to Mr. Mud's help I went to FRY.Com and ordered 4 different sizes of the mesh. Its identical to the stuff that Harley uses on the Wideglide and much nicer looking than the smooth plastic junk that the factory uses.
Here's the part numbers and sizes I ordered and all four of them cost about $35 delivered.
2281378 1/8" X 20'
2281388 1/4" X 16'
22813981/2" X 10'
22814083/4" X 8'
Each piece is only $6.99 and all together there's enough to do at least 2 complete bike's.

This is the plug that is used on my Softail and its probably the same on the Dyna's.
You'll notice that the pinouts are mirror images and I suggest that you only take the pins out of one side at a time. That will eliminate the possability of itgetting missplaced or lost on you and you'll have a ready guide to putting the pins back in properly. Just remember its exactly oppisite an you won't have a problem.

For the turn signals I used the 1/8" stuff so it would fit snugly over the original covering. First thing is to put a piece of tape over the pin plugs. It will make iteasier to slip the mesh over them. Onceyou have enough on so that its about 4" to 6" from the signal cut the mesh about 1" below the pins.
That should be more than enough to cover it and with it not completely on yet it will let you slidetwo short pieces of shrink tubing on much easier.

Once its all the way up it will look like this.

Because the mesh has a fairly low melting point you should put a short piece of electrical tape, enough for a little over one wrap around the end first. Then slide one piece of the shrink tube up and shrink it over the end. The shrink tube will keep the mesh from fraying or unraveling and give it a more 'finished' look.

Then do the same to the other end. You don't need the elecrical tape here because its going to be hidden under the tank. But its up to you.

Here's what the cable looks like before on the left, and the after on the right.

Now for my next trick, the headlight cable.

Good luck and ride safe
Frank

Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket
That's cute, but do you have open container (split side?) rules in your state?
And who's going to get the ticket, you or the bike? [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 AM
up in minot
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, Inexpensive Side Mount Plate...

I posted this last year, and it's helped some out already. It's been on for 1,000+ miles with no problems...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2170668/tm.htm

Old 02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool mod, I know how bad it would suck to waste a beer so how about if you open one from the bottom the old fashioned way then you could mount that can so it looks unopened...
ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket
I bought a 12 pack of The Beast so it cost me about $5 something for the mod. You can of course use any other beer you like but the cost will rise from there.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *