Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
BigDaddyDuke
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOriginalPete
Hey Mud,

Thanks for posting the great pics, in my opinion those were the days of the nicest custom jobs. As for Fat Freddy and the boys, man I think there;s like 20 of us left that remember what that's about! Your bro's tattoos are great!
I have to admit I didnt get turned on the the Freak Brothers until the 80's when i found a stack of them in my step dads stuff in the garage while looking for his ... er ... well never mind that.

anyhow. I always wished I was born 10-15 years earlier, that is until now that I am 50.

I dig the tunes and lifestyle from the 60's/70's much better than that of the late 70's/80's, when I spent my youth

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
GonzoTx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Wide Glide came with a set of kuryakyns iso grips and I just don't like them, so I got out an old set of foam grips with chrome ends and some 4 1/2'x5' scrap suede leather and some 1/4' lace and made some grip covers. (as soon as I figure out how to post pix I will). Soak them in water and lace them tight with the laces facing forward right under your knuckles. Once they dry they don't slip and they are cool in summer and warm in winter. You can leave the laces long and put beads and bangles or cut them short. All my friends who have tried them had to have a set. And Tandy Leather Co. has scraps of all kinds of leather. I've done them in snakeskin, buffalo and gator. If you don't have time, PM me and I'll make you a set. For forum members I'll just charge for materials and shipping. I'm disabled and it gives me something to do ...

The following users liked this post:
smiller605 (07-01-2017)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM
GonzoTx
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Amer1canPatr1ot
I just put this together last night. I have been wanting to get new pipes but cant afford them so I decied to modify my stock pipes. They have a nice sound and just the look I was looking for. I like the street sweeper style with the turned out tips so I canted them out to add to the look. I used a reducer from 1 3/4 ID x 2 ID to couple the exhaust tips to my pipes. I rivetted the tip to the reducer with the existing holes and used the stock clamps to attach them to the header pipe. The sound is near perfect, a nice light purr at idle and fairly loud when you get on it. I am probably going to throw in the torque cones to compensate for the no mufflers. This Mod cost me $20 for the tips and $8 for the reducers at Advance Auto Parts. Let me know what you think!
I love the look of the turnouts, I was just wondering how it runs now ? I've been wanting to do something like this but with the EFI I wasn't sure what effect it would have on performance.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Amer1canPatr1ot
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GonzoTx
I love the look of the turnouts, I was just wondering how it runs now ? I've been wanting to do something like this but with the EFI I wasn't sure what effect it would have on performance.
It runs good and from what I have noticed so far it runs cooler than with the mufflers on it. I went back and forth on weather I should do this or not but figured it shouldn't hurt just to try for a short time. It does seem to run like it might have some more power but could just be because its louder. The sound is good and I am happy I did the mod. For me its just a temporary fix till I can afford to get some short shots but I am happy enough that I might just keep it this way. I did find a FL-ViED-10 on ebay for $50 so I am going to throw it on just for good measure to see if there is any performance change but I dont think it necessarily needs it at this point.

Hope this helps but I am by far no mechanic and just throwing things together based on what I see in other posts and what my mind can think up.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Hogi
Cruiser
Default Fat bob not comfortable

Attachment 334041

Attachment 334042

Attachment 334043

As I said in https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ortable-3.html my new Fat bob was to long for me and I didn't want to put all high $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on HD kits.

so - took old style back rider pags, weld, driled, grind and painted.
cut the arm, added 10 mm steel, weld...

cost - 2 cans of beer to my friend, the welder.

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

RAT, you bastid, where is our sound bite??? I wanna hear those glasspacks'!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default smartphone mount

I wanted a cheap and secure mount for my iPhone in a place where I could run power to it easily and plug in my earphones.

Bought a strip of 4" sew-on Velcro (about $6) and a Joe Rocket soft rubber case (about $5) from eBay and some 3M Extreme Mounting Tape (about $9) from the hardware store.

Put the tape on the tank bib and ends of the "hook" side and wrapped it tightly around the tank bib. Then, cut a piece of the "loop" side to fit the back of the iPhone case and adhered with 3M tape. Works like a charm. Holds tight, it's easy to rip off when I park and isn't too unsightly when the phone isn't on it.

The "hook" side is plastic and can get wet, so no issues there. The Joe Rocket case covers most all the iPhone holes, so its semi-protected in a light rain.

I run the power from a cable plugged into a 12v power outlet under the edge of the seat and the seat holds it in place. I run the headphones down under my jacket. Quick to plug in and quick to take off.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior

great job, was looking at something similar, maybe using magnets.
any chance the velcro under the tank bib could ruin the tank' paint you reckon?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ghira75
great job, was looking at something similar, maybe using magnets.
any chance the velcro under the tank bib could ruin the tank' paint you reckon?
Thank you. I'm not 100% sure about your question, but here was my thinking :
1. In order for it to damage the finish, it has to rub/move. I pulled it down pretty tight, so it doesn't really move at all to rub the finish off.

2. I am never going to not have a tank bib, so even if it does, you'll never see it as it will always be covered.

3. (For me at least) My tank is powder coated, not painted. I am betting the powder is tougher than the velcro.
With regard to the magnets - it's a cool thought, but (and I am no electronics expert) I'd be worried that the magnetic field might interfere with the phone's electronics.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *