Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
I had a wild idea for some new cheap baffles for my Fat Bob. Made a trip to Home Depot.

Rain gutter guard $2.23
Fiberglass mat $7.97
The washers and I-bolts were a couple bucks per package.
So about $15 for the parts I used.

I wasn't sure how much of the fiberglass mat I'd need for both mufflers so I got 2. Ended up using only one. Also got a package of 1.5 inch washers that I didn't use.

Pulled the mufflers off and drilled 2 holes and mounted a 1 1/4 washer in each head pipe for lollipops. I might use the 1 1/2 washers and then angle them to get the sound and performance I want. Not sure yet.

I cut a piece of the rain gutter guard so the baffle would be the same overall length as stock. Rolled it around a piece of pipe I had in the shop. I used a hose clamp to mount it to the end "cap" and another close to the other end to help keep it round.

Then I used half of one package of the fiberglass mat to wrap the rain gutter guard, then stuffed it back in the muffler and put in 3 new pop rivets.

It sounds good, I mean really good. I was surprised. Sorry, I don't have a camera or phone that will do video with sound. Maybe I can borrow one tho. I'll have to do a few auto runs with my Power Vision and see what the differences are.

Peace
Rat Trap

seems like a really good idea with the fiberglass mat. I have built several for my old 2-1 screaming eagle exhaust that lost its original baffle. But never thought about the fiberglass matting.

*inspired* thanks Rat!

-Six

Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 AM
BeckBristow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally made it to the end...

Great thread, and great ideas/work. Can't wait to get home so I can start working on my bike. Still got a few months to go, but I'm sure I'll get some more good ideas in the mean time.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

My version of the garage door opener mod. I used a keychain remote opener ($30), soldered wires onto the contacts that control the opener. Drilled hole in the bottom, rear corner of the fuse box cover. Used an all black low profile momentary switch ($4) from radio shack. Soldered the other end of the wires to the switch and secured the switch in the hole. Velcroed the remote to the inside of the cover. I've done a version of this on my last three bikes and also my buddies bike. No need to mess with the factory wiring or switches and it is not noticeable at all to the average person.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by glock35
...it is not noticeable at all to the average person...
Now we all know.....LOL.

Sounds like a good mod; any images available to post in here?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Not the best pics, but you should be able to get the general idea.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Superroo
4th Gear

Great thinking Rat trap

Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM
LagunaGlide
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

This thread is absolutely amazing. I found several mods I will be doing right away. Took forever to get through it, and the index is great. Big time cudos on that Mud. I can only imagine the time and dedication it has taken for you to keep track of it all. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrug
Finished Product. I rotated the banjo bolt hose nipples to the 12 o'clock position...
Just a bit of a caution about this setup...

What gets blown out of the head ports contains a fair amount of water and oil. The pressure is pretty low to shift this. It usually needs the vacuum suck of the carb or throttle body to keep the ports clear.

If, however, you lose that suck and make the passage vertical as in this case you can end up with the water and oil not being able to make it up the pipes. This leads to a build up of cappuccino-looking gunge at the ports that backs up into the heads.

Without a suck on the pipes you really need it downhill all the way from the ports to be sure of clearing the gunge, especially in cooler weather.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
chrslefty
6th Gear
Default 12 battery cover bag.

While not as cool as a lot of the other mods, it was cheap and should service my needs well.
While researching the battery bags on the web I say that some one had suggested a similar bag but never had a picture of it on the bike. So the inspiration goes to who ever it was.
So I went shopping at the local tacticool places tell I found one that had the bag I was looking for. Then I removed the battery cover and band. I notch the two outer straps and then snapped the straps around the band and reinstalled it to the cover. It took a bit ove muscle to get the clips for the band to re seat but I managed to get them in. Seams so be pretty solid and I can go back to stock with no worries.
Im still heming and hawing over if I want to make my own strap thats bolted to the cover but ill see how this works its mainly just there to keep my wallet, phone and smokes handy . Sorry about the crappie cell pictures.

Last edited by chrslefty; 07-29-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm...mostly an asthetic thing, but practically, let's see how it holds up behind the jugs and pipe after a summer's riding. I'm not gonna say I think it looks really cool, but if you don't want saddlebags, you just gotta do something, and here's one thing.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-27-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *