Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default El Cheapo Helmet Hanger

With four helmets in the family (and another one due any day) I need a place for them to live on the rare occasion when they are not on someone's head.

Inspired by this:

I went to Lowe's and bought two steel rods and a can of plasti-dip. Total cost: $15.47

OK, so I actually made two sets. The first time I used 1/8" rod. Very easy to work with, and very probably more than strong enough for what I had in mind. Then I went back and got 3/16" rod. Significantly harder to work with (since I have no tools to speak of), and DEFINITELY beefy enough for the job.

Mark the center of the rod

and find something the right size to bend it around. I used a 1" to 2.5" Shop-Vac adapter.

Stick the U-shaped rod into the Shop-Mate and put a slight (45degree?) lip on it.

Move it further into the shopmate/vise and put a 90 into it

I used a 4X4 and some drywall screws to make the hook jig for the mounting screws. In the process, with the larger rod, I broke several screws. When I changed to stainless steel deck screws, the problem was solved.

Make an eyelet in the end of the rod for the mounting screw.

You may need to hammer the eyelet closed, or twist the rod to maintain the shape of the final product.

I painted the whole thing with Por-15 black rust-oreventing paint. If you haven't used this stuff, it's AMAZING! I did the bumper of my jeep three years ago, and it still looks like it was freshly powder-coated.

After the black paint, I dipped the hook in plasti-dip to "protect" the helmet. Let dry...

Two or three coats later... I hung mine with drywall screws into the paneling of my garage. If I had sheetrock, I'd be more confident that they won't pull out, but I didn't build the house, I just live here.

There it is. Total cost for four hangers: just over $20, instead of $19 apiece. Not as pretty, maybe, but $60 beats pretty any day.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by mud
.................................................. ....did you see the video that I made??

Great quality video, mud!

Anxious to know what software you used to edit this one?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp

With four helmets in the family (and another one due any day) I need a place for them to live on the rare occasion when they are not on someone's head.

There it is. Total cost for four hangers: just over $20, instead of $19 apiece. Not as pretty, maybe, but $60 beats pretty any day.
good job mr shiny. nothing can beat seat of the pants engineering.
Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider

Great quality video, mud!

Anxious to know what software you used to edit this one?
good to hear Rene. thanks.

Adobe Premiere

here's another project I'm working on. a bit more than 50 bux.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mud
good job mr shiny. nothing can beat seat of the pants engineering.

good to hear Rene. thanks.

Adobe Premiere

here's another project I'm working on. a bit more than 50 bux.
Holy crap I was sure it was going to collapse. You bought that ?

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper_ggy

Holy crap I was sure it was going to collapse. You bought that ?
no sir I did not buy that. govt did.

I am involved in moving and reassembly.

I was hoping it would fall, (one of the edited audio portions).

part two, cranes lifted the second floors off

it is in four pieces now.

part three - rolling to new site tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM
The Gecko
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
For all us "outlawed" smokers. Tank pocket. Get a cigg. holder; approx $6. Remove the belt loop; free, cut a slit on the bottom between the leather, ( cut the stitching ) take a piece of .062" alu. about 3/4" longer than the pouch, same width as the inside and drill a clearence hole for the screw in the bottom of the dash. slightly bend the alum. 3/4" from the end with the hole. this will help to hold it down, slide it into the slot in the pouch. Now just screw it down on the dash. If you have a tank bra, you won't see the mount. cost is less than $8. H.D wants $80 for the same thing and it won't hold a lighter either, this one will.
Am just guessing, but sounds like this would hold and Ipod or phone as well.....

Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
For all us "outlawed" smokers. Tank pocket. Get a cigg. holder; approx $6. Remove the belt loop; free, cut a slit on the bottom between the leather, ( cut the stitching ) take a piece of .062" alu. about 3/4" longer than the pouch, same width as the inside and drill a clearence hole for the screw in the bottom of the dash. slightly bend the alum. 3/4" from the end with the hole. this will help to hold it down, slide it into the slot in the pouch. Now just screw it down on the dash. If you have a tank bra, you won't see the mount. cost is less than $8. H.D wants $80 for the same thing and it won't hold a lighter either, this one will.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
TReaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Familiar with the situation that you've been screwed up by a non magnetic screw (like ss/copper) falling off your screwdriver and having too little space to hold it with your other hand?
Here's my solution: make yourself a screw holder out of a piece of copper/metal wire, grab them both and put it in place with one hand!

Good luck, René

a metal paperclip on the end of your screw driver will also work to hold a screw on your screw driver.

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 01-28-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by TReaper
a metal paperclip on the end of your screw driver will also work to hold a screw on your screw driver.
Could you post some pics, please.....

Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 AM
TReaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you post some pics, please.....

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *