Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Hesitation and Miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 09:25 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Default RE: Engine Hesitation and Miss

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna
...... The stock Harley plugs are made by Champion (I believe).
They are designed for a specific resistance/ voltage drop.

Your anti knock system looks for this drop across the resistor
to control timing and other variables.

Any variance in this resistance can mess with your engine
at various loads, RPM, and temperatures.
HDs standard plugs won't let you down, nor disappoint.

DougJ
I believe in the HD plug.
And the advanced engineering that has evolved
over the last so many years.

Doug where did you pick up this info regarding the knock control.
I would like to read more on this interaction.

I do believe that most folks don't even realize that these machines
have a brain that will detectthe birth of detonation
and abort itout of the timing curve in a matter of
quicker than the blink of an eye.

mud
Mud, just spent 10 minutes writing you a clever answer to your question, then lost my dialup connection

Gist of it was, I can't remember, but will find the article and post on da forum post will be "Muddy Plugs".

Trotter probaly has the answers, but he keeps secrets

DougJ

Old 12-09-2007 | 12:51 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

CCPD, glad to hear you are back on the road. Big lesson learned by all. Myself, Iwould put another fresh pair of HD plugs in and save the NGKs as a backup set. If this happens again it goes to the dealer for an explaination as to why it won't run on their plugs. Cheers and ride safe.

Old 12-09-2007 | 02:43 PM
Varmint
Cruiser

Glad all is well. Just to add something. Although I am good with my hands and do most all work on my bike, Im no bonafied wrench. I once upon a time worked for a harley stealer overseas.
New stealership. They had a cop bike contract. And although they had big twins in the showroom, the majority of bikes sold were sporties. Tax reasons. You guys think moco prices are bad here? Try going over seas and buy one. Any way, it was a new dealer which = new bikes. Basic service sh*t and the occasional spill/ warranty work. Untill ,one day a XL comes in with the exact problem CCPD described above. Tried everything. I mean everything. Plugs wires/timing/ carb/jets /gas EVERYTHING. So I go to put the A/C back on . And lo and behold the filter element is soaked with oil. As it turns out, Harley in its infinate wisdom decides to vent the tranny through the back of the A/C plate. Tranny fliud was getting sucked up into the intake.
So rerouted the hose. problem solved. I never heard of this on American bikes. But then again while i was working there most parts were labled/stamped "outside us sales only (or something to that effect.) Go figure. just thought id share that.. im real bored today.

Old 12-09-2007 | 05:21 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

So far I havn't noticed any spark knock or any other problems from the NGK's. I use them in my truck and am very happy with the brand. I do have a question though. You say to use Harley replacement plugs. Unless I am mistaken Harley uses Champion plugs. Would it not be the same to just use regular Champion plugs from NAPA or any other part store instead of getting the ones at the dealer or is there a difference?

Old 12-09-2007 | 05:34 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: CCPD

So far I havn't noticed any spark knock or any other problems from the NGK's. I use them in my truck and am very happy with the brand. I do have a question though. You say to use Harley replacement plugs. Unless I am mistaken Harley uses Champion plugs. Would it not be the same to just use regular Champion plugs from NAPA or any other part store instead of getting the ones at the dealer or is there a difference?
Probably won't hurt anything, but here's a link to a link that explains to some extent why only the HD plug.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_297396/tm.htm

Champion makes the HD plug, but to HD specs.

DougJ

Old 12-09-2007 | 05:49 PM
ahab211
Cruiser

Crappy Tire in Canada lists Champion and NGK as replacement plugs for my 2002 FLHT with a carb. Both work well and much cheaper.

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:10 PM
Trotter
Banned

Doug I run the Standard Plugs and wires on everything thats stock.. The High Performance plugs is a waste of money

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:28 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: ahab211

Crappy Tire in Canada lists Champion and NGK as replacement plugs for my 2002 FLHT with a carb. Both work well and much cheaper.
Does your 2002 use the Ion detonation detection system??

DougJ

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:34 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Doug I run the Standard Plugs and wires on everything thats stock.. The High Performance plugs is a waste of money
I learned this, but I thhink most of us enjoy the "hard way". Isn't that what makes us the hard headed, independent American arseholes we are??
Too bad you ran that Fuelpak through your trash compactor. I was going to ask you to let me try it out on my bike.

DougJ

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:45 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the advise. I will probably stop and pick up some stock plugs and keep the ngk's for roadside emergencies on trips.

Quick Reply: Engine Hesitation and Miss