Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Hesitation and Miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 08:48 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser
Default RE: Engine Hesitation and Miss

I checked the codes and there were none in the system.

I have never touched the temp sensor and just learned where it was when I looked it up in the service manual tonight. The oil filter wrench I had did not fit over the oil filter because of the crank sensor so I had to use a screwdriver to turn it out. I checked the wiring to it and it looks ok. I did bump it a couple of times checking the fit of the filter wrench, but never hit it hard. I have not pulled the sensor yet to check it. Checking the manual it mentions the crank sensor could cause it to run bad.

Old 12-05-2007 | 10:03 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

Tomorrow after work I will pull the seat and check the wires leading to the coil, ECM andTSSM andI willpull the CKP and inspect it. I will also check at the Harley shop at our vehicle maintenance facility at work. Maybe they will have some ideas. If they are all secured I guess I will have to take it in and hope it is covered under warranty.

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:51 AM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

I spoke to the HD Tech at work this morning and he doesn't think it is a sensor or coil or anything like that since the bike is so new. He believes the problem is with a bad connection somewhere. I will go over everything when I get home from work and see what I can find.

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:48 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: CCPD

I spoke to the HD Tech at work this morning and he doesn't think it is a sensor or coil or anything like that since the bike is so new. He believes the problem is with a bad connection somewhere. I will go over everything when I get home from work and see what I can find.
All things considered, I think it may be worth the $6 to put new spark plugs in.
Since you indicated the 1 plug was loose, you may have a cracked insulator. If it isn't the problem you will have a new set of plugs as a backup, for later.

DougJ

Old 12-06-2007 | 06:39 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

I got home from work today and pulled the plugs and readjusted the gap from .040 to .039 and put them back in. They did not have any carbon build up. I checked the torque on each twice and reinstalled the wires and they cliped on. I checked the wires at the coil and they were on tight. I pulled the seat and the ECM/TSSM cover and checked all the harness connections and found them all tight including the connector to the coil. I pulled the right switch assembly and checked the wires to the run/stop switch and all the wires appeared to be ok. I put the bike back together and crossed my fingers. I made it out of the garage and about 100 yards down the street and it started to bog and run on one cylinder. One cylinder kept cutting in and out and I barely made it back to the garage.

Everything is on tight and there is no water or oil in any connectors. I will try new plugs tomorrow and if that don't work I will tow or drive it to the nearest dealer.

Old 12-06-2007 | 10:27 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I had a similar problem with my '06 Dyna WG. Under warranty so I let it be the Dealers head ache. Why don't you? Their Digi Tech can check all the sensors. I still don't know what was wrong with mine. It ran fine after the 10k service. I suspect a loose ground wire somewhere since it was also intermittent but ran better after warming up a lot. It they found the problem they are not telling me. I alsohave the extended warranty. They spent a lot of time on it, glad I didn't have to pay! They weren't too happy, but oh well! You shouldn't either being an '07, your good for two years. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2007 | 06:21 PM
CCPD
|
Cruiser

No need to take it to the dealer. I picked up some NGK's from NAPA and all is well. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 12-07-2007 | 08:01 PM
flynavy
Road Master

WAY TO GO DOUG!!!

Old 12-07-2007 | 08:36 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: CCPD

No need to take it to the dealer. I picked up some NGK's from NAPA and all is well. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Glad you got it................. Now, I still suggest going to HD and buying 2 ea plugs, and I will tell you why.
I am not a Harley mechanic, etc. I am just another rider trying to educate myself on the workings of my bike.

I have purchased other tha HD plugs (very expensive ones), save your money. It is not that HD makes the most wonderful products in the world, or that their stuff is any better...................... The stock Harley plugs are made by Champion (I believe). They are designed for a specific resistance/ voltage drop. Your anti knock system looks for this drop across the resistor to control timing and other variables. Any variance in this resistance can mess with your engine at various loads, RPM, and temperatures. HDs standard plugs won't let you down, nor disappoint.

DougJ

Old 12-07-2007 | 08:55 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna
...... The stock Harley plugs are made by Champion (I believe).
They are designed for a specific resistance/ voltage drop.

Your anti knock system looks for this drop across the resistor
to control timing and other variables.

Any variance in this resistance can mess with your engine
at various loads, RPM, and temperatures.
HDs standard plugs won't let you down, nor disappoint.

DougJ
I believe in the HD plug.
And the advanced engineering that has evolved
over the last so many years.

Doug where did you pick up this info regarding the knock control.
I would like to read more on this interaction.

I do believe that most folks don't even realize that these machines
have a brain that will detectthe birth of detonation
and abort itout of the timing curve in a matter of
quicker than the blink of an eye.

mud

Quick Reply: Engine Hesitation and Miss