Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defintive Position on the Inner Primary Bearing Issue 06-08

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Defintive Position on the Inner Primary Bearing Issue 06-08

This is part of what a former service manager that I know sent me in an email regarding the bearing........I feel this is the last word on that issue.

They !!!!!'d up. The initial manuals DID NOT have that service in there, but they were seeing some field failures of the bearings, so they ADDED it with a dealer letter, and a letter to all registered owners. They have since figured out that it was improper service procedures causing the failure. Basically, since there are no dowel pins any more on the primary and trans, if you use the step lock tool to lock the primary to tighten the front sprocket or the clutch hub nut, you throw the center to center distance off on the MS and sprocket shaft, and that toasts the bearing rapidly. That's why they said to replace it at 15K. They were going to do it for free too.

BUT, they changed it. There is no more 15K primary bearing replacement. The only thing you have to do is NOT use the step delrin locking tool, but use the bar between the two shafts to lock the primary to tighten stuff up.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blueglide88

This is part of what a former service manager that I know sent me in an email regarding the bearing........I feel this is the last word on that issue.

They !!!!!'d up. The initial manuals DID NOT have that service in there, but they were seeing some field failures of the bearings, so they ADDED it with a dealer letter, and a letter to all registered owners. They have since figured out that it was improper service procedures causing the failure. Basically, since there are no dowel pins any more on the primary and trans, if you use the step lock tool to lock the primary to tighten the front sprocket or the clutch hub nut, you throw the center to center distance off on the MS and sprocket shaft, and that toasts the bearing rapidly. That's why they said to replace it at 15K. They were going to do it for free too.

BUT, they changed it. There is no more 15K primary bearing replacement. The only thing you have to do is NOT use the step delrin locking tool, but use the bar between the two shafts to lock the primary to tighten stuff up.
So when would any of us had any such "service" done to cause the problem, without our knowledge?

My bearing started making the "noise" right after the purchase with 6 miles on it. Noise was quite noticeable to other Harley owners.

No offense intended toward you, personally............. I think that explanation is a load of crap.

My understanding is the bearings were misinstalled on the assembly line,and I don't know if that is true either. If I ever hear that peculiar bearing noise again, I will be heading straight to the dealer......... on my way to a lawyer's office.

thanks for listening

DougJ

Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

I tend to think the dealer is bshittin you bluglide

Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Davesurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bearing went out at 24,000 miles on my 06 Street Bob. I'm just over 5,000 miles on the new bearing and keeping my fingers cross'd

Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 AM
drnw2006
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearing failed 15,000ish. May 06 manufacture date. Dealer replaced under warranty without problem. I am just hoping I'm not sitting on a recurring problem. Warranty is almost done.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, 1st off I'm pretty much mechanically retarded.
I JUST now started noticing an 'occassional' noise coming from the primary area when i release the clutch.
Is this what we're talking about? I have an 06 fxdwg and i have about 14k miles on her.
If this what we're talking about, do I have any recourse?
I'm a bit confused about AZ's reply... "we will, we won't"
Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

I remember something about snap rings sometimes being positioned incorrectly in the factory covering the oilway.

Then again I think there were failures even though the clip was installed correctly.

Surely H-D knows the real reason for failure. They must have a lab that analyses these things. It's just that they like to kep it all a secret.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: route2null0

Ok, 1st off I'm pretty much mechanically retarded.
I JUST now started noticing an 'occassional' noise coming from the primary area when i release the clutch.
Is this what we're talking about? I have an 06 fxdwg and i have about 14k miles on her.
If this what we're talking about, do I have any recourse?
I'm a bit confused about AZ's reply... "we will, we won't"
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Whirling noise when in neutral and clutch out.

Noise will sound like and older car with a bad throw-out bearing.

As regards AZ's post, first letter was "we will replace", which was followed by the "nevermind" letter.

I didn't get either one.

Sammi

Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
jbe
Road Captain

Just dropped the bike at the dealer for 20,000 mile service and asked to check out the IPB. Needs to be replaced. This is the second time. First time was this time last year.

Quick Reply: Defintive Position on the Inner Primary Bearing Issue 06-08