Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to increase ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: How to increase ground clearance?

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

ORIGINAL: FastHarley
You are one of the first to write about performance before looks. Maybe you know how to ride?
Now that's how to win customers !
That is a complement. There are very few here who care how their bike performs. I like this thought. He would only need this modification if he did know how to ride. Get em' dirty and let the rain wash em'

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: floridian46

fast harley, where did you find carbon wheels for your harleys? i like that idea...
I designed and made the molds than had the wheels made in a autoclave (industrial machine in which elevated temperature and pressure are used in processing materials).

Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

You are one of the first to write about performance before looks. Maybe you know how to ride?
You apparently haven't read enough threads, granted most on here seem more concerned with what wax to use or how to get ready to store their bike cause it got below 75*.

There are performance oriented people on here, but since a Harley was not built to act like a sport bike and will never perform at that level they don't usually boast about .5 second increase they got adding raising or adjusting.
Ratbasturd: “since a Harley was not built to act like a sport bike and will never perform at that level they don't usually boast about .5 second increase they got adding raising or adjusting”

I think some HD bikes can be made to perform really well on the street. I can tell you first hand. The bike you have is top shelf. It is light, shorter wheelbase, short rake (depends on model), and very maneuverable. You can pop in a 126ci G Squared and pump out 150 ft lbs of torque right out of the box. I like also doing the 107’s ci with the out of square motor that pumps 135 hp @ 7.5K rpm’s. It pulls untill the bitch sings!

With suspension work and a light weight swing arm and modify the bushings with Delron® to tighten it up, that bike of yours is a pure winner. If any person says that your bike does not have the capability of handling great, look them in the eye and you are looking at someone who does not know what they are talking about. Your Dyna is fast, comfortable, and maneuverable but not too many places to put hard bags on em”

I guess if you wanted a pair of 10 gal. buckets, just buy a longer bike. I own a 05 Lowrider. I do ride my FXR most of the time.

Ratbasturd: “You apparently haven't read enough threads” No, I have read lots of them. You are correct about the wax thing, should I/how to wave, how to tie a doo rag et al. I guess this is why it was so great someone “teethandnails” posted what David did. I love this type of stuff. In the minority, shamefully. Count the posts right now. Put them in two catagories, Performance and everything else. teethandnails Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With V & H Shortshot staggered you will find the first thing to touch down on either sideare the pegs , which is a start. Cranking the rear shocks up to max setting helps. Orgo toprogressive rear shocks (maybe 1/2" longer than stock Street Bob )with progessive front springs thisreally does improve things. A friend has this setup on a Super Glide and its transformed the handling.This will be my choice next spring when funds allow.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came up with a few more things you could do to get more clearance without spending much money if you don't mind tearing your forks apart.#1 you can just add preload spacers to the front springs, find some PVC or even metal pipe that will just fit inside your fork tubes,start out small maybe 2" because the longer the spacers are the harder it will be to install them and get your fork caps back on.While you have it apart you can switch to thicker oil which will slow compression which may help with clearance .You can also cut a coil out of your springs which will make them stiffer just remember to take that into acount when you cut your preload spacers.You could probably do all of this for $20.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 PM
streetbobby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I have read lots of them. You are correct about the wax thing, should I/how to wave, how to tie a doo rag et al.

FastHarley......thats funny....and sooo true!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant add much more than some of the others. it just takes some modifying. and some cash then go out and have some fun.