Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 K Service Cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: 10 K Service Cost

Does anyone know what the 20k service involves and any idea on the costs? Not trying to hijack, but I figured you guys would know and I didn't need to start a whole other thread for it (or I can if anyone truly gets offended by me posting this question in here.)

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve been my own bike mechanic for the last 28 years. It's not that complicated. You should get a service manual but the basic information information is in the oweners manual.
The last 2 bikes I bought the 1st service was included in the price, but I've done every thing else myself and saved lots of $$$$$.
I tought my 18 year old daughter to do the 5,000 miles service on my bike so she can do her own when she gets her bike. She also installed my longer clutch cable and throuttle cablesfor me.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Marksman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my 10k a while back. Bought the bike used and it came with the manual. Wouldn't be without it. It details out all the service work. I did different things between rides so it wasn't a major project. The one that surprised me was the front fork oil. First, allot more spring load on the cap than I expected. I'm sure there is a special socket, but to put mine back on I taped it up so not to messed the chrome, then had a friend push down with a broom handle while I turned it.
Old fork oil looked like water. Made a huge improvement in handling.
Doing these little things will be very rewarding.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't wait till mine is out of warranty and I can service myself ... warranty regs too unclear in Europe to risk doing it myself beforehand

Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Azrael
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

Does anyone know what the 20k service involves and any idea on the costs? Not trying to hijack, but I figured you guys would know and I didn't need to start a whole other thread for it (or I can if anyone truly gets offended by me posting this question in here.)

Chris
here is what the manual calls for in the 10k.
* is what I consider critical

*Engine Oil and Filter (replace)
*Air Cleaner (replace or Clean)
*Tires (check pressure, inspect tread)
*Transmission lubricant (replace)
*Chaincase lubricant (replace)
*Clutch (check adjustment)
*Rear Belt and sprockets (check)
Control Cables (lubricate)
Jiffy Stand (inspect and lube)
*Fuel lines (inspect)
*Break Fluid (check level and condition)
*Break pads (check and replace if worn)
*Spark Plugs (replace)
Electrical operation (check)
Steering head bearings (adjust)
*Fastners (check tight)
*Engine mounts and stabilizer (check)

Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
GRCLowrider
6th Gear

I prefer my money to stay in my own pocket, so I try and do all of my own service / maintenance. Besides, I want to know how it all works and goes together. The10K serviceis somewhat extensive (refer to theservice manual) but relatively easy to do provided you have the proper tools, time, and desire. I suggest you review what's required in the manual, and decide if you want to / cantackle it or choke down the cost and let the pros (?) do it. I DO suggest you get it all done,to be sure your ride remainsa safe one.

[/align]

Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are a Design Analyst, I would think you can figure out which end of a wrench to use. The harley site lists what they do in the10k service. nothing is difficult and besides if you are not comfortable with working on it yourself you can try the "fix my hog" videos. otherwise these is no issue with you doing the service or an indy shop doing it for you. For the warrenty all you need is a record of what was performed and reciepts for the parts. this would be the checklist ont he harley site or out of the manual. I think there is also a list in your owners manual. PM me back.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Sir Ed
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanna Thank All That replied to my post... All good advice and all taken aboard... buying the manual, got the garage/tools, just been leary and maybe lazy.. Again thanks to all for your thoughts/suggestions. R/ Ed H, VaBch, Va