Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install a Garmin Nuvi Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
zuma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install a Garmin Nuvi Wiring

I am interested in installing my Garmin Nuvi 350 on my bike. I can get the bracket from RAM which is for this model, however I would like instructions on installing to fuse box-battery. The unit comes with a cig lighter adapter, I can order another to splice.
PS I have never wired anything on the bike.
Thanks for any input...

Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 AM
mywideglide
Advanced
Default RE: Install a Garmin Nuvi Wiring

Before you install that GPS on the bike.....how are you going to hear that thing....LOL....but on the serious side.....I dont know about others...but one of the things I love about my harley...when I go for a ride.....I RIDE !!!! I go on adventures....I love going places I have never been.....to me...the journey is not knowing where I am????? I dont mean I want to be lost but......I have gone off to places that if the bike broke down....I had no idea where I was...I mean I would be totally embarassed.....I wouldnt be able to call anyone on the old cell....and say, "Here is where I am...come get me." I really am in another world.....and thats what I love about my harley.....it takes me places I have never been. I am 58 years old and that bike takes me to a new place within 100 miles of where I liveevery time I go off....its a real adventure....Lots of times.....the only way to get back is to ask total stangers...how to get back to Baltimore....

You may need that GPS.....but....before you install it....think about what you are riding for......Do you want to go from point A to B....or????????

Just a thought.....

MYWIDEGLIDE

Old 11-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Mr E
Tourer

Zuma,

I am with you.
One of the guys we ride with has a GPS system and it makes for some very interesting rides. He will just turn down any interesting rode and ride for hours without worrying about getting home. We have been on a lot of really nice roads we probably never would have tried without the GPS.

On long trips I used to keep cheat sheets in my vest pocket, as the eyes get older I can no longer read them without my glasses. That is why I am getting one for the missus for x-mas.

Just another opinion.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im interested in hearing the "How To" for this questions since I also want to use my Nuvi on my bike. If anything, i just want for the extra security since I am not a fan of getting lost and driving in circles. Since I ride alone, I don't have my wife to tell me which way to turn.....lol....She's the best NAV system a guy can have.....lol....

Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 AM
cruzin
Cruiser

I'm not here to start an argument one way or the other but I've heard all the reasons not to carry a GPS. All seem to be about the adventure and freedom of "the ride". With that said, I carry my Garmin Quest with me and I have lost count of the times that others that are riding with me have asked, "Hey, how far is it to the nearest gas station" or, "Where is there someplace around here to get something to eat" or, my personal favorite, "Where in the F are we now and how long will it take to get back". There is nothing written anywhere that I have found that says you have to use a GPS to get from point A to point B the fastest or that you even have to ride with it turned on. Most great explorers carried a compass to assist them in their travels. I consider the GPS to simply be a modern day compass.

To answer the wiring question, I wired a cigarette lighter plug directly to the battery and mounted it under the gas tank in the front by the fuel crossover. I can plug in and un-plug the charger mount whenever I need it and it's hidden from view if I want to remove the mount from the bars. You could also splice it in to your ignition hot lead if you don't mind splicing into the wiring.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your ride!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I tapped a battery tender wire into headlight , low beam . Wally World has a cig lighter adapter , female end . It plugs right in to the tender wire,unplugs when not in use .

Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 AM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two of my friends I ride with have GPS units on their bikes and it has come in handy for finding gas, and places to eat. My wife say she is getting me one for Xmas. Both of my friends made up lighter adapters that plug into the battery tender harness to power the units.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I wired my Zumo directly to the battery and the wires run under the tank to the front. It is great to have when you are out riding back roads and seeing the sights and then you want to get something to eat but do not know where you are. Only time I use a GPS for point A to B is when I am in the car..... wonder why is that....

Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I ride with GPS... i have the new generation Tom tom 1XL portable... it is AWESOME!!! strongly recomended! it has a option for cournty road...i just plug in the time i have and it will plot out my route... love getting lost with this little map!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I use an older model of GPS that works really good. I have a key map, regular paper map, and and old county road map. My updates consist of buying new maps of areas I plan on riding through.

Quick Reply: Install a Garmin Nuvi Wiring