Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using PIAA bulbs in their FXDL???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who is using PIAA bulbs in their FXDL???

Looking for folks that are using the PIAA Xtreme White Light or White Light Plus in their Low Rider...... how do you like it. Any problems with premature burning outusing High Beam? Problems with overheating, harness melting, etc? Any thoughs on who's better......PIAA H4 or the Sylvania H4ST (also known as their 9003ST). I noticed a HUGE price difference between the two.Sylvania's areselling for $20for a set of 2 bulbs onAmazon.com where as PIAA's are going for $49.00 for a single bulb.

I want a brighter light, and wondered what you folks experienced so far.

As Always, Thanks for your input and advise.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
MikesWideGlide98
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is using PIAA bulbs in their FXDL???

Hey LWOS I run the Sylvania ones since i do not agree with spending 50 bucks for a single bulb, I like to change my bulb once a year since i do a lot of riding and the bulbs light output do decline over time (this is true of any incandescent bulb), also it gives me a good reason to open up my aftermarket headlight housing and make sure it didnt corrode into a heap of metal. The short is I like the sylvania bulb 9003st, its much better than the stock bulb (although the stock bulb i beleive is made by sylvania but must be another model) it produces extreme white light, it lasts, and its cheaper than PIAA. Another option you may want to consider is changing the reflector in the headlight housing. I know my stock one (04 FXDWG) sucked. It wasnt until i put a new headlight on the bike that things really improved. You can check out adjure and get one of their bulb reflector kits. Anyway I did quite a bit of research on this so feel free to e-mail me or continue to post here ill be happy to talk. Ride safe and have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I run a silver star in both mine and my old ladys bike as well as in any bike that we mod out with a light kit... just the color of the bulb is a huge diff... but!!!! I have posted this 100 times i know and will continue to post it... this is the best mod for lighting! Fog lights! I am acually getting ready to do a lower profile style on mygirls bike (cost me 20 bucks form wallmart) i will take pictures as i go... with her's i am not goingto drill into the lower tree i am going to make a bracket totuck them away.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/6408172C0356479B887A6DD8136CF901.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/6B1E4F41443D479CB27C8995300D7C31.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/D02D39E320F84F6E8D49F7EEF7B46CC4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/B8C2D7476FFE4503A3D5C7CEC9AA57DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

MikeWideGlide98.........
Thanks for your input. I was initially going to go with the Sylvania until I started reading posts from other bikers about how "short lived" the bulbs tended to be when using the HIGH BEAM exclusively. That's the way I ride.....High Beam at all times. Then I readwhy the PIAA H4 was more expensive, was because their ANTI-VIBRATION filament theyuse is suppose to be stronger, and will stand up to vehiclesused inrough terrain....like back roads, off roading, trails or majorroadsafter the spring thaw ( just kidding....kinda ), I thought the PIAA might be a better way to go. The PIAA'S online through Amazon.com arejust under$64 for a set of 2. At Walmart, the Sylvania was going for $38.88. By the way, I did write to Sylvania and found their 9003ST is the exact same bulb as their H4ST. One was produced for the European markets and the other for USA market. So either or is just fine. But between the reviews on Amaazon and the ones posted by others on the H-D Forum, I just dont know. BTW, the price difference on AMAZON.COM for the exact same bulb is unbelieveable.One vendorhasthe 9003STpricedat $19.99 for a set of two, and another vendor has the exact samebulbs "on sale" he saysat $37.95....One vendor is selling a single bulb$15.36 while another lists a set of 2 for $32.99. It pays to shop around.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great info! Thanks guys, could someone post the exact part numbers for both the PIAA and sylvania bulbs in one line? Thanks

Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the PIAA bulb in my '97 Dyna for a lot for years and a lot of miles. I have another one on the shelf for my new Dyan, jsut havn't installed yet.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Yes, if you want the Sylvania it's part number 9003ST or H4ST. The H4STis whatthey specifically state is for Motorcycles, but I wrote to Sylvania and asked them what the difference was. They said there was none, and both could be used for Motorcycle application.
If you want the PIAA...... the part number is H4. The two listed above are rated 55W/60, and both run 4000K on the whiteness scale ( aka "color" temp)....the higher the number, the whiter/brighter the bulb output. PIAA makes several H4 series of bulbs....all having different "colors" of whiteness.....but all in the 60/55W= output of 110/100 W. Again, check your current Halogen bulb stats. YOU dont want to end up frying your harness because it caused too much heat or exceeded max output.
PIAA has an H4 BULB called STAR WHITE ( 3800K) , one called XTREME WHITE PLUS(4000K) and one called Intense White (4100K)
Here isthe PIAAlink http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

Just double check your Harley manual for the halogen replacement bulb recommendations. Some bikes have sealed beams.....
Also PIAA has several H4 bulbs but in different whiteness degrees.
Here is what Sylvania's WEB SITE says........whether or not I believe them is ???, since if they were illegal, they couldn't sell them in the USA. So take this with a grain of salt and do your own investigation.

Here is Sylvania's link: http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...headlights.htm

Does Silver Stars compare to Piaa?
The Silver Stars do compare to PIAA and surpass them with less wattage. Piaa attains their light output with more wattage and SILVERSTARS attain their light output through technology and higher quality manufacturing. Silverstars are brighter while using less wattage, without causing shorter bulb life and burning out wire harnesses as do PIAA bulbs. The SilverstarsUpgrades are of OEM quality DOT approved and 100% Street Legal.Piaa lights are not Street legal and NOT Dot approved.

What's the difference between Silverstars and HID lights[align=left]The Silverstars are HALOGEN bulbs and do not compare to HID. HID uses a Ballast wires and Xenon gas filled capsule as the same lights in foot ball stadiums and using 35wats. Silverstars are a direct bulb replacement using a filament and without a ballast as HID. Silverstars are the best light output you can get without the big jump to HID lighting. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]What are Xenon and High Intensity Discharge? [/align]High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas. When high voltage is applied, the gas is ignited to produce an arc of light. Xenon is the most common gas used in automotive HID systems. The amount of light produced is greater than a standard halogen bulb, while consuming less power, and more closely approximating the color temperature of natural daylight. On the road, Xenon HID headlights appear as a bright white with a slight purple tint. While cars equipped with Xenon lights are still relatively rare, they are easily spotted. The most common cars that come with Xenon lights are late model Mercedes-Benz S500, BMW 750iL, and Lincoln Mark VIII.

[color=#ff0000][size=4][b]

Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LWOS thanks for all that info. A brighter light probably will not insure cagers see you, however. I am installing a headlight modulator from Kriss, made specifically for HD, that wll make the headlight 'pulse' hi/lo during daylight hours but fx normal at night. Silverstars seem like the 'best buy' IMO.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Sure, for my 2007 Dyna Low Rider:
PIAA... BULB H4
SYLVANIA SILVERSTAR...Motorcyclbulb H4ST. If your autoparts store doesnt stock the H4ST, have him give you the 9003ST...same thing.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer

I installed The PIAA XtremeWhite Plus Bulb PN: 15224 in my stock 2007 Superglide light. A short time later while I was cleaning the light I noticed heat discoloration on the reflector. I replaced the reflector with an Adjure unit and a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003. It throws a good light pattern and it isn't discoloring the reflector.

Quick Reply: Who is using PIAA bulbs in their FXDL???