Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any fxdx's out there

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
BAKA
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: any fxdx's out there

I think of the FXDX as "the thinking man's HD". It seems like FXDX/FXDX-T guys are [warning: gross generalization] slightly different than rest of the Dyna crowd. Not sure exactly what it is...

For me, it's my "do everything" bike. When I'm feeling a bit more aggressive, I ride the Buell. When I'm heading for dirt, I ride the Honda. The rest of the time it's the FXDX. I bought her because I wanted a practical "all-around" bike, but it sure is pretty, eh?

-BAKA

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
mcfaddenfxdx
Advanced

Finally took a new pic

Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HOGRIDA_06

ORIGINAL: glide05

ORIGINAL: HOGRIDA_06

My father in law has a FXDX(bone stock) that I never really cared for. But Sharkey's bike is Hot. I likes.
In 2005 HD had 4 distinct platforms in the dyna class, excluding FI and Custom. They were FXD, FXDX, FXDL, and FXDWG.
I think the FXDX was one of the more difficult bikes to sell in the entire HD lineup - even though it was one of the best handling HD big twins ever produced. The look did not appeal to the HD crowd - who largely cares less about handling performance and more about curb appeal (not being critical here - just stating fact).

So - what did Harley do??? First off - they redesigned the chasis for all dyna models - happens every so often anyway. Then they took the performance suspension parts off the FXDX and replaced them with $10 shocks. They moved the speedo to the tank, new bars, took one of the brake discs off, gave the thing a new name with a new paint scheme. Saved them a bunch of money. What was the new model called - "Street Bob". No escaping your roots

Brilliant marketing by HD - most people hated the FXDX - HD reduced the cost of a model they couldn't sell, made it look different - and charged the same amount of $.
Didin't say I hate it. All I said is I don't care for his. Mainly because he hasn't taken care of it in a while and it runs and handles like crap. Other than the FXDX's I've seen in this thread his is the only one I've seen. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Sorry - did not intend to put words in your mouth - I have edited my post.

I was just trying to make a point here in the Street Bob Forum that in fact the FXDX was the predecessor to the St. Bob, and that the two are not radically different from a finish standpoint. The lack of "FXDX" replies just illustrates my point that HD took a machine that was a poor seller, took hundreds of $ out of the COGs, charged the same $ - and sold a ton of them.

I did not intend to take your words out of context - and aparrently I did. My mistake.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since there were not too many pics of the fxdx to show up here, I thought I would post a pic of the fxdx's Grandpa, the fxe. Born in the last century to the proud parents fl and xl. His Godfather, Willie G, gave him the power and comfort of the fl coupled with the handeling of the xl. All your current day Dynas come from good roots.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49674/D1A95F80ECC04BEFAD25ED7F8CD859F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Grandpa,

That's a great looking bike you have.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks SUPER01. She is named Peggy Sue and rides as good as she looks.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

check my gallery for more photos of my 2000 fxdx. the sig picture is my tank and engine. I have ridden nearly every bike in the current H-D lineup, and have no desire to part with my SS, but wouldn't mind adding a Road Glide to my stable. If I had a Road Glide I would strip down the FXDX and make a cafe style bike out of it.

I have the following mods:

custom paint
open element air cleaner w/ skull cover
V&H Pro Pipe
Saddles: Stock, sundowner, and mustang vintage wide solo
H-D Dyna "Big Bag" Saddlebags
Quick Detach windshield
Quick Detach Sissybar with backrest and rack
H-D FLSTF (Fatboy) handlebars
Braided stainless brake lines
Braided stainless fuel line crossover
FXDWG forward controls (maintained mid mount pegs for versatility)
Engine Guard
assorted chrome covers

Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
vmax867@gmail.com
5th Gear

My sig pix is my 05 fxdx.
Here's another, I think:

Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
ged533
Cruiser

lots of fun to ride

[IMG]local://upfiles/34253/8A79E515155345C7820CDFFF0A84A155.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Abysalone
Advanced

Here is my 99 FXDX. Love it. The pipes are gone and a good portion of the skull cover is now wrinkle black. My new Works shocks, springs, and Bub Jug huggers will be here this week and ill snap some more pics.

Quick Reply: any fxdx's out there