Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 07:19 PM
cormech
Advanced
Default RE: V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?

Ok I changed mode 23 to setting 15 and it helped a little but didn't correct everything. I will try them again when i get the chance. It may also be that the temps have been pretty cold here. The dense air might be throwing the settings off a little.

Old 11-26-2007 | 07:39 PM
Dirt91
6th Gear

Just curious. Are you hearing a slight pop when you let off alittle during shifting or clutch it quick that isn't really a back fire but sounds like a small pop? kinda like a cheap small firecracker inside a coffee can...... and not everytime but sometimes. That's where I am now. Gonna take it out again Wed or Thur and get back with VH.

Old 11-26-2007 | 09:45 PM
Sandstone
Intermediate

Is buying a fuel pack or power commander absolutley needed when putting on exhaust and air mods? We have spoken to several people who ride locally and some say you do, why others say you dont. My hubby has talked to the dealer here locally and they are going to install his hyper charger and VH pipes here shortly. The dealer said they could remap (download) the stock ecu close enough to get the job done, but occasional popping may result.

Is there a thread on this we can research. We really dont want to spend any additional money unless its absolutley necessary.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2007 | 06:51 AM
cormech
Advanced

dirt...it is when I shift or let off the throttle. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it sounds like a week firecracker but others it sounds like a gun shot. I will just have to call them up again if I can ever wake up in time.

Old 11-27-2007 | 07:00 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Cormech I have had more popping on decelwith mine since it got colder also.I have a Power Commander on mine though so I just increased thefuel a little at the closed throttle position (added 5) and it seems to have calmed the popping.
I am not really familiar with the Fuel Pak, are you able to adjust the fuel at any throttle position or is it just a number you put in that affects the whole range?

Old 11-27-2007 | 07:38 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Sandstone

Is buying a fuel pack or power commander absolutley needed when putting on exhaust and air mods? We have spoken to several people who ride locally and some say you do, why others say you dont. My hubby has talked to the dealer here locally and they are going to install his hyper charger and VH pipes here shortly. The dealer said they could remap (download) the stock ecu close enough to get the job done, but occasional popping may result.

Is there a thread on this we can research. We really dont want to spend any additional money unless its absolutley necessary.

Thanks!
Sandstone, most will tell you yes and I agree with that. The stock ECM's are tuned to run the bikes lean to meet EPA regulations and when you add more air intake via the hypercharger and output via the V&H pipes, you are making it more lean. You need something that will add more fuel to the mix. There are plug and play devices for that, like fuelpak (which is what I chose) and there are tuners like PCIII and SERT that give more extensive control and adjustment. The tuners are more expensive and usually require dyno testing to "fine tune" the bike, although they do have base/canned maps that can be downloaded and used without running on a dyno. The fuelpak is more of a fuel manager that you program based on your specific bike, pipes, and air cleaner but, for the most part, "you got what you got" and you can't really adjust it without advice from tech support as you can read in this thread. In my opinion, something is better than nothing in the long run.

There is more than you probably care to read on this subject in various posts. It comes up constantly and there is always good, yet conflicting, discussions that take place.

For my purposes, a nice sound with a healthy air/fuel mix, and no further mods past stage 1 on my bike, ever, the fuelpak was sufficient for me. I haven't heard anything that sounds like a pop yet. Most, if anything, has sounded more like a "putt" than a "pop".

Old 11-27-2007 | 08:27 AM
Dirt91
6th Gear

Cormech-Fly, we are prob very close in the prob. It's kinda hard to explain it in typing. my little sound could be a small "putt". The actual loud backfires did go away from what I can tell.

Pig- THe fuel pack has it's own map of 23 modes and each has a individual # value. VH won't tell you what it means so you can tweak it but they will suggest some changes via thier tech line.

Sandstone- I too considered the HD DL but from what I coud determine the FP was a better route to go with some flexibilty built in to it. That was about the extent of the $ I also wanted to spend at this time. As with anything you get what you pay for so I have no doubt that a SERT with dyno time is the ultimate but just out of my price range right now. I really have no issues with the FP but if I could tune out the "putt" it would be great. Thee are many debates around this out there. I'd really like to find a "how to tune and tips and tricks" data base for the FP (if that is already out there somewhere please let me know)

Old 11-27-2007 | 08:45 AM
flynavy
|
Road Master

Being the FP is a proprietary system (as they all are)and a bit newer to the market that PC and SERT, it may be awhile before we see a tips and tricks database, BUT if there is one or somone finds one - LET US KNOW ON THIS FORUM!!

Old 12-02-2007 | 09:41 AM
Dirt91
6th Gear

Nice weather yesterday (mid 60's) rode it most of the day with only 1 or 2 very minor muffled small pops on decel. I'm wondering if it is temp related. If it is and we can ID the cold settings vs warm settings we'd have it licked. Performance was great, bike smoothed out alot. It seemed to want to surge alittle before the FP and that's gone now. I guess overall I would say the FP is a success in my case.
JM

Old 12-02-2007 | 10:01 AM
grizzly
Road Master

Hope you guys get it figure dout. I went with the TFI, and it dials in great. Plus techlusion tells you in the instructions exactly what you are adjusting, so you can fine tune it. Not sure why the hell V&H wont???

Quick Reply: V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?