Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 08:23 PM
Dirt91
6th Gear
Default RE: V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?

Newbie here looking for info......I just did the VH Fuelpak w/VH straight shot slip ons and the SE breather kit on my 07 Dyna. Yeah the dyna in the video is definately not a 07/08...no room for the fuel pak. Issue is when slightly reving in the garage it occasionally backfires. Haven't road tested yet due to weather but I got in touch with VH and they said to change mode 23 to 15 from 16 (what was listed for FP-0604 map) and it should clear it up. Anybody else had this issue?
Thanks! JM

Old 11-21-2007 | 08:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dirt91

Newbie here looking for info......I just did the VH Fuelpak w/VH straight shot slip ons and the SE breather kit on my 07 Dyna. Yeah the dyna in the video is definately not a 07/08...no room for the fuel pak. Issue is when slightly reving in the garage it occasionally backfires. Haven't road tested yet due to weather but I got in touch with VH and they said to change mode 23 to 15 from 16 (what was listed for FP-0604 map) and it should clear it up. Anybody else had this issue?
Thanks! JM
Nope but haven't installed yet. FP-0604 is my matchingmap as well. I'll be sure to keep in mind your tip if I hear the pipes talking back to me like that. I've got the same setup as you except a Ness Big Sucker A/C.

I just quickly looked in the box as I was pulling out the instructions. Looks like I saw some double-stick velcro strips in there - any idea what that is for? I saw nothing about that in the video or in the instruction book. The same fuelpak works on a V-Rod so maybe the velcro is for that application? Unless it's for sticking the fuelpak to the bottom of the seat? That won't work for me since I have 3 seats I interchange.

Old 11-21-2007 | 08:37 PM
Dirt91
6th Gear

The velcro didn't work for me either. That rectangular black box in the way on top of the electrical box is the antenna for the security system from what I can get out of the service manual. If that was reloacated the FP would fit much better (just like the video). I just carefully turned the FP sideways so it went in between the supports on the bottom of the seat while putting the seat on.

Old 11-21-2007 | 08:45 PM
flynavy
|
Road Master

Dirt91: I also used FP-0604. And also because of weather, I have not been able to ride, but had no backfiring, or popping after she warmed up (about 30 seconds). I really jerked the throttle once or twice and just normal backpressure release afterward. I revved to a constant 2500 to 3K rpm and then let off, again no backfiring. I too have the same set-up as you, except fora Big Sucker intake set-upsame as 2007fxdc.

I would be interested to know if your backfiring quits after you change mode 23. Please report back to this thread so we can all benefit.

By the way, after running the motor for just under 10 minutes twice, I pulled the plugs and they were brown showing that the mix is in fact richer as it should be utilizing the Fuelpak. That and the engine run gave me some good confidence. Won't know real world likely until spring - gosh-darnit!!

PS. The SE filter is blue, correct? I believe that is a compressed paper filter element which is not as free-flowing as cotton/gauze. Just a thought, although V&H claims to have used the SE for it's initial set-ups of the fuelpak during dyno testing.

Gotta know if the backfire goes away after changing that mode 23 value!

Old 11-21-2007 | 09:42 PM
Dirt91
6th Gear

Quick update...Had to try it (although wife's not happy with the hour....) The mode 23 to 15 from 16 appears to have worked! I really couldn't turn it up too much but I did a pre and post test and the pop appears to be gone. I also re calibrated mode 19. The VH guy said to slowly open it up all the way then slowly return to off. Not to let the throttle snap back by its self. I did it the right way originally but I figured it wouldn't hurt to do it again to be on the safe side. So...so far so good. I'll post again when I can have it running for awhile and see if it continues. I think my SE filter is cotton/guaze not paper. It has the black ring not the blue.

Thanks!
JM

Old 11-21-2007 | 09:52 PM
cormech
Advanced

I have been having some decel popping also. I haven't had the chance to call up V&H tech yet. Maybe on friday I will get to it. My set up is the straight shot slip ons and an alren ness big sucker. Once I call them up and do the changes they suggest I will let you guys know.

Old 11-22-2007 | 12:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Cormech, you have the same setup as flynavy and me then. I just installed mine today and took it out for a spin. I can't really get it to pop by revving it when standing still but I did get some slight popping on decel when riding it - but not consistantly and not bad at all. I may try changing mode 23 to 15 and recalibrating my throttle as well and see if it makes a difference.

Wow, what a tight squeeze the install of the fuelpak was. I barely have a spot for it to lay flat to clear the seat. There were no cracks large enough to slide it down into.

Old 11-24-2007 | 01:12 AM
chadmiller62102
Advanced

07 Street Bob, Vance and Hines Straightshot Slipons, Big Sucker, Fuelpak. Easy install, no issues.

Old 11-24-2007 | 06:03 AM
Trotter
Banned

I just spent a week with one on a 07.. Was on the phone with Darrell a number of times and did the # 23 drop to 15 and it helped sometimes, Re calibrated the Throttle each time with different outcome each time,but not very consistent, Put it on the dyno and the thing is all over the place, sometimes too rich and sometimes too lean.. Scrapped it and went with the SERT.Vance & Hineswont give you any inside Info on any of the settings so you could try to work with it. I guess ya get what ya pay for.. I've read alot of people having good results with it, Now not so sure they have anything to compare it too.. Wast of money ..

Old 11-24-2007 | 06:15 AM
Bluedog20
Intermediate

I have a 2006 Street Bob with V&H Big shot Staggards, and Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I installed the Fuel-Pac. It didnt run that great with some poping on acel. and decel. I called V&H, I changed mode 23 to 15. It runs better with no pop on accel. but still has some poping on deceleration. The tech at V&H had me change some other settings, to try and get it to run better. Some of the changes did make it better. Its all guess work ! I believe the only way to get my bike to run as good as it could, is to get a Power Commander or a SERT and have it Dyno tuned. I wish I hadnt wasted the money on a Fuel-pac. I have been an Auto Mechanic for 23 years, and riding for about 30 years. Im sensitive to the way my bike runs. Mabey the Fuel-Pac would be good for someone that doesnt ride that much, or doesnt realize their bike is not running as good as it should..... Throw your Fuel-Pacs away and get your bike tuned right ! I know this guy that spent about 5G having his motor rebuilt. An HD dealer did it. The guy was happy with the work and the bike seemed to run good. This bike is a 96 Heritage with carb. The dealer dyno tuned it. At a Swap meet this fall he had the bike Dyno tuned by Dr.Dyno. Dr.Dyno did it right in front of us. The lines were all over the place for both cylinders. The Dr. did the tuning, got it set up perfect. Now both lines for Air/fuel , tq/hp are right on. The Dude took his bike for a test spin, He saidit ran like a RAPPED APE, with no poping, or backfiring at all. So, get your bike Dyno tuned by somebody that knows what they are doing.....Just because they got a Dyno doesnt mean they know how to use it....... If you love your Baby treat it right !

Quick Reply: V&H Fuelpak on a 2007 Street Bob - Issues?