Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoke cleaning methods/products

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spoke cleaning methods/products

I took a look around the detailing forum but thought I'd post here. I've had my bikea year now and try to keep it fairly clean. I do take my time and pay attention to details and use appropriate products to clean the different surfaces. I even shine my tires just like my other vehicles now and then. I'm starting to really get a lot of brake-dust buildup on some of my spokes and I don't really want to get into spoke by spoke detail cleaning. What do some of you do, if anything. I'm wondering if anyone makes a spray-on product that would go on like a gel and stick to the spokes and eat that crap off and then you can just spray it off? If not, someone should - it would be a great product.

Please share if you have any helpful tips/products.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Spoke cleaning methods/products

I believe that most spokes aren't chrome. They are zinc or cad plated so you want to be careful with acid based cleaners.

Once they are clean, I put an instant detail type spray on them and that seems to release the dust the next time I wash.

I'm not from the school that never washes a bike. I use my pressure washer with the low-power nozzle and the soap pickup (acts like a coin op car wash) to distribute a good car wash soap and then I rinse it with the next nozzle up - still no too powerful.

Of course I remove the leather items first including the seat.

If the spokes get too bad I just use a soft brush while soapy and get the whole wheel, moving the bike a couple of times.

After a good rinse I blow it dry with a leaf blower and then wipe the important stuff to shine it after a quick spray with instant detailer.

I've been doing this for years, including the '86 Heritage (below)with no ill effects. Oh, and I use Westley's Bleche White (wal-mart has it now) on the whitewalls. Been using that since the 1960's. Works great on blackwalls too. It's acid based but you wet the tire and wheel first and I've had no problems.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

I think it was the detail section but someone posted about using shoes laces only to find out there was a product out there already. basically strips of cloth w/the product chemical soaked in. as 421 said most stockspokesare not chrome, at least w/the older stock. my 00 is cadmium plated? and are basically grey now. [:'(] screw all that cleanin, currently I'm replacing the rear w/solid alum. rim and bought a 40 fat daddy blk pwdr ctd spoke front at biketoberfest.

an option would be to go w/lyndall pads. as the stock "sintered" ones aren't the best for chrome finishes anyway.

don't spend more time cleaning than riding - good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

it is going to sound crazy... I know... but it works and works great... Shout... yes the laundry stain remover... wet the wheels... spray it on... let it sit for like 2 min... then use a soft bristle brush and it will clean them like NO OTHER! it is great! been using it for years!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

it is going to sound crazy... I know... but it works and works great... Shout... yes the laundry stain remover... wet the wheels... spray it on... let it sit for like 2 min... then use a soft bristle brush and it will clean them like NO OTHER! it is great! been using it for years!
[sm=confused06.gif]I took you up on your advise from a past post and though I didn't exactly get the results I wanted; it did fair much better than anything else, however, I'm concerned about the affects of overspray/rinse off on other surfaces specifically chrome & rubber (tire).
anyway, its not aissue now per my above post. thanks for your input.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

Wouldn't it work better to just put the wheels in the washing machine?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I would never shine a tire on a bike, makes the sides too slippery. I use a aluminum cleaner (mothers) have to do one spoke at a time, works great.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I'm going to start looking. Screw hitting every GD spoke with a brush or, for God's sake, a shoe lace. My hands are too frickin big and I'm always scrapin my knuckles when I try to get in those tight spaces like that.

Some sort of gel product should work great because it would stick to the spokes long enough to clean them where a spray just drips off too quick. If i find something that works well and doesn't harm the other parts, I'll post it.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stbobber

First, I would never shine a tire on a bike, makes the sides too slippery. I use a aluminum cleaner (mothers) have to do one spoke at a time, works great.
Just have to be careful not to shine the part that meets the road. It can be done and looks nice!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If you use something like Westley's Bleche White it doesn't shine. It just cleans whitewalls/blackwalls to look better than new, but no greasy look.

Quick Reply: Spoke cleaning methods/products