Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoke cleaning methods/products

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Spoke cleaning methods/products

My spokes are chrome and regular washing with car soap or s-100 cleaner keeps them clean for the most part. Every once in a while I'll take some never dull cotton wadding and run itup and down the spokes and it keeps them shining like new. Doesn't take as long as you would think.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might try a Mother's Mini Powerball

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire and wheel cleaner at the car wash.

I have only hand washed my bike maybe 3-4 times why go through all that work., I just make sure that the car wash has a spot free rinse. I would rather spend 10 min. washing so I can get back to riding. Chances are if someone is washing there bike it is probably good weather so isn't it better to be riding than sitting in the driveway for hours with a tooth brush or shoe string.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know of any spray on products to clean your wheels. But I do know of a product that has made it easier for me to keep the wheels clean so that I do not have a situation where gunk has built up.

I use the "Meguiar's Gold Class Ultra-Safe Wheel Spoke Brush" to clean my spoked wheels:

You can purchase one online here:
http://www.autobarn.net/x1160.html?s....shopzilla.com

I happen to find it at a Big Lots for like $2.50 and decided to try it because I'll be damned if you'll find me cleaning each spoke with a shoe lace. Just dip this brush in to the soapy water and run it in and out between the spokes.

This thing fits in any nook or cranny... in between all the spokes and is especially great for cleaning the back rim because you can fit it into all those hard to reach places at different angles. If you can see a small path in to a spot that needs cleaning, this thing will fit through and scrub.

I now even clean the hard to reach areas in and around the engine/tranny simply because it gets where I cannot reach. The brissles are somewhat softer so they can compress while the more rigid inside wire keeps it straight as you slide it in to tight places like between spokes.

If you wash the bike at your normal intervals and use this brush to scrub the rims each time... I've found you really shouldn't have to do much if any polishing unless you want to do a full blown detail job... but I bought this thing to ride... not buff. I've yet to polish the wheels.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
yuma
Advanced

Now see the advantage of the wheels on the superglide, I can spend more time ridin and less time polishin. LOL

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Powder coat your rims and hubs gloss black to match your bike and get stainless steel or chrome twisty spokes to add a little bling. OR, just powder coat all of it and be done with it!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Dura-gloss makes a spoke wheel cleaner that I've used on my Shovel... works great! Spray it on, let sit, and spray it off. I wouldn't use it on spokes that aren't chrome or SS though. I get mine at Pep Boys but I'm sure you can find it at other car parts stores.

BTW - I still think you'd be better off with powder coating!!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Black Bob
Cruiser

I find Eagle One Wheel and Tire Cleaner works really well - just follow the directions. The spokes on my SB are definitely not cad plated - they are either chromed or polished stainless. If they are chrome, do NOT use Mother's metal polish - it will damaged the chrome. If you do use it and the cloth or applicator shows black, then the spokes are polished stainless and safe to continue. If no black, they are chrme plated and you shouldn't proceed.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
marcss
Road Captain

This product is supposed to work well. I need them too. Once cleaned and polished keeping them cleaned after every ride is supposed to be easier. Need to get the junk off quickly. http://www.lusterlace.com/

Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It only takes 1 hour at the most to fully hand wash and detail my bike. Not sure why spending 1 hour to keep your bike looking good is a big deal to some people unless they ride 24 hours a day and that 1 hour is limiting them to only 23 hours.
Trust me that 1 hour of cleaning every other week or so won't stopyou from getting miles onyour bike, but cleaning it and then putting it back in the garage will.

Quick Reply: Spoke cleaning methods/products