Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Dyna Lowrider Windshield Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
strangemagic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dyna Lowrider Windshield Help

Hi all! I'd like to get a detatchable windshield for my '05FXDL. I've got the auxilliary lighting kit, which takes up some space on myforks, and I'd like to find a windshield that won't force me to relocate my stock front turn signals. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser
Default RE: 2005 Dyna Lowrider Windshield Help

Windvest. Mounts to the handlebars and won't interfere with any auxiliary lights or your directionals. Not quite "quick detach" but I can have mine off in about 3 minutes (2 allen bolts) leaving nothing behind but two clamps on the handlebars right next to the main handlebar clamp.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM
strangemagic
6th Gear

Thanks, NorCalDyna, I'llcheck it out!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NorCalDyna

Windvest. Mounts to the handlebars and won't interfere with any auxiliary lights or your directionals. Not quite "quick detach" but I can have mine off in about 3 minutes (2 allen bolts) leaving nothing behind but two clamps on the handlebars right next to the main handlebar clamp.
NorCal (or anyone w/a windvest) - what would be the difficulty/disadvantage to removing the clamps from the bars and leaving the clamps attached to the windshield so no hardware would be left behind? Looked at windvest's website at the install diagrams but it wasn't real clear on this point. Been thinking about getting a small profile windshield for longer trips, and the 14"x14" windvest is at the top of my list, but really prefer a quick detach unit that leaves no hardware at all behind or at least can be removed fairly easily.

And any suggestion as to smoke vs. clear?

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

There's no disadvantage to removing the clamps entirely. I just choose to do it the other way because removing the clamps requires taking off 4 bolts while removing the front section requires just 2 bolts to be taken out. Pure laziness on my part. Mine is clear, which I prefer because it is somewhat less noticeable on the bike. Mine is the 16" tall version as well, which seems about right. If it were shorter, I might be more inclined to go with the smoked look.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

ORIGINAL: strangemagic

Hi all! I'd like to get a detatchable windshield for my '05FXDL. I've got the auxilliary lighting kit, which takes up some space on myforks, and I'd like to find a windshield that won't force me to relocate my stock front turn signals. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know about the aux lights, but Memphis Shades Slims and Fats work well with the stock front turn signals on my Street Bob. I have a 15" Slims for the summer, and a 17" Fats for the winter.

Memphis Shades has great customer service too. I forgot to tighten up my bolts on my detachable fats, and when I got back home two had fallen out. I called M.S. to see if I could buy just the bolts, the girl laughed when I told her my bolts quickly detached from the mounts after I took off my windshield & sent me out a set for free.
Last week when I bought my WG I called them again about the plates being different than the ones I had for my Street Bob. She told me to write a check for $57 to St. Judes Hospital and she would send them out to me.
Try to get that service at the dealer, lol.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc/memphis.aspHad the best prices I could find.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
hall1836
Cruiser

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Know several people who have the windvest, and find it causes much less turbulance then the Harley detachables.