Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fender removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM
DDC1225
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fender removal

Hello all,

I just removed the front fender off of my street bob and love the look. My question is, will it be ok to ride with the fender off for a little bit until I can get a fork brace put on it? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what fork brace to put on? It's a '06 Street Bob (not that the year makes a difference, I think they all have 49mm tubes).

Old 11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Fender removal

Yep 49mm tubes. Not sure how much structural strength you actually get out of the fender. Heck I feel blessed that I've not had cracking problems at the rivets,as some others have had. Few people on here have had them off for many miles. They'll chime in...

Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, it will be fine to ride without the fork brace.There are more than a few of us that doubt a fork brace is even necessary with the new 49mm forks.I think it improves the looks of the front end if your running without a fender, it looks a bit more complete.I wish they had one that used the mounting holes on the sliders that would look even better but they dont.A set of fork gaiters helps too

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM
DDC1225
Advanced

funny enough, I am actually looking into the fork gaiters. I am just not too sure how I would get them on. I assume you would have to pull the fork tubes off the triple tree and just slide them down. I know there are a few posts on here about them, but I will go ahead and ask. What works best for the gaiters? I've looked at these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trium...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm aware of two different gaiters/boots - I have the Daytstar 408 series for 49 mm Showa forks that need to be cut down a bit and a snug fit (which is good IMO), and there are also ones for Triumphs that'll work on 49 mm forks but not sure of part number. You will need to remove the fork tubes to install. Might be a good time to also change out the springs for Progressives or powder coat the tubes if you're so inclined.

As far a fender removal - I like it and don't run in the rain in any case (at least not if I can help it!). If you travel on any dirt or gravel roads, you'll have to go very slow. I live on one and keep it under 15 and have no problem. You will get an occasional ping on the cheek/chin/forehead going down the road, no biggie.

As for the fork brace, one of the forum sponsors sells a good one with a variety of finishs I believe. I went with the solid HD SE brace and had it powder coated. Can't tell you if it makes any difference as I changed my shocks and springs at the same time to Progressives. All I know is it handles super now and is very responsive. Best mod I've done IMHO.

Good Luck!
Chip

Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Those Triumph fork gaiters look like the ones I have but I think the years are wrong you need 69-70 no matter though as long as they're 2" by around 7" they will work.You will have to take your forks out of the triples to install whatever gaitors you get.The 6 1/2" might be good if you want to slide your forks up in the triples a little to lower the front.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

Superbrace is the one I have on my 49mm forks................ I think (after I bought mine) they are running a special for HDforums members.

I noticed quite a difference with the brace on, and still have my fender installed. IMO the FXD looked better without it, but it's staying on.

My shocks are still the stockers, front and rear.

DougJ

Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM
ladodgerdog
Tourer

I have a sreaming eagle fork brace on mine. It made a big differance on these suckeeee LAfreeways!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
etbiker
Advanced

I have been running for a couple of weeks with the front fender off my '06 Superglide. The fender developeda crack about 1/3 of the way across, at the left rear rivet like everyone elses, and I am waiting on a new one under warranty. I have had no problems running fenderless though I was careful for a while until I had confidence in it. Had a fast ride today with some twisties and it handled just fine.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:31 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Hey, do they let you keep your cracked fender when they replace it under waranty?I'd love to get a hold of one for a project or two.