Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bike cover for the $buck$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bike cover for the $buck$?

Just want to see what bike cover you guys recommend for the money? I couldn't believe it when I was on HD's site today & saw theres for $130!...for a bike cover???I've seen them on Ebay for $30-$50. It would be for an '07 Super Glide Custom. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Best bike cover for the $buck$?

ORIGINAL: FXDC Rider

Just want to see what bike cover you guys recommend for the money? I couldn't believe it when I was on HD's site today & saw theres for $130!...for a bike cover???I've seen them on Ebay for $30-$50. It would be for an '07 Super Glide Custom. Thanks.
Rider, I bought one of the HD waterproof ones for about $85 at the dealer. It's as much cover as anyone should ever need. It has the nice spread eagle HD logo screened onto the front and it has a panel built in that runs along your pipes so you can throw it over when the pipes are hot and it won't melt the fabric. What I didn't realize was that the waterproof cover is not a good fulltime use cover. I almost never use it because I realized it was causing the bike to "sweat" and get condensation on a few spots. They had a similar cover that was a little cheaper but it was "breathable". If you are going to cover it while it's inside only, be sure to get a breathable one. If you want one for covering it outside, talk to me, I'll make you a price on mine.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FXDC Rider

I've had the cheapy 30 dollar variety that I used for my sport bikes inHawaiiand I currently have the 119 dollar HDvariety which I use in Baltimore on my Harley.

I'n my experience with coversyou get what you pay for.

The 30 dollar cheapy is just that.

The 119 HD version is very much worth the price. It is head and shoulders above the cheap cover.

Everything is different in my experience, the fit, finish, materials, breathability, water proof quality etc...

With my old cover the rain would actually permeate the cover if it rained hard. With this cover the bike doesnt see a bit of water even if it rains all day.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the HD cover.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master

i saw on this forum where someone put some charcoal under the cover to obsorb the moisture. i put a trouble light under mine

Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Tom, I take it you have the waterproof one then? Do you store your bike outside? Do you notice any sweating when you leave it under the cover for a while? Wouldn't you agree that, if he just wants to cover the bike while in a garage or whatever, he should go with a breathable one? Granted probably not a 30 dollar one....

Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
pemdas
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree on the H-D outdoor cover ( I bought it without the logo, don't want to advertise what's underneath). About $80 after discount, totally waterproof, seems well made. The dealer told me I could put it on after 5 minutes of cooling, but I letthe bikesit about 15 minutes before covering.

I was also warned against using it for long periods indoors, it will trap the condensation. I am picking up theindoor cover to use in the garage for the winter, not sure how much they are.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For indoor (in garage) I use a inexpensive Nelson-Riggs cover - as long as it's breathable, any cover works fine indoors. For outdoor use, my only experience is with California Car Cover products which aren't cheap but work fine on my 4 wheel vehicles.

Chip

Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

If you are going to cover it while it's inside only, be sure to get a breathable one.
It would be kept in a non-heated garage that isn't at all damp. HD says that the cover you have is "not intended for long-term storage" under it's description. Would they consider 6 months long-term? The one I liked from HD was this one anyway ($129.99!)...

Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Here's is the one I have and below is the link to it. Retail is now $94.95 but I believe I paid $85.95 for it in the store late last year. I've only used it a few times and I still have the pouch included with it and even the original box I think. I'm not dying to sell it but I would for $50 plus shipping.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/1EA60A7B25674D33BB1E5D6BB9366F1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2007, 04:26 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I bought the cover because I wanted to keep the bike in my garage and we have cats running around in there. So, I wanted to keep the cats off the bike. It didn't work as I caught one of them up under the cover. I bought the rainproof cover because it was only a few dollars more and I thought I never knew when I might go on a trip and want to cover it up at night. Anyway, I noticed moisture on the bike after just a few days under the cover and that was in my unheated garage as well. My bike now lives in my storage barn instead and I never put the cover on it in there. Gets dusty but that's better than rusty.

I could always take the cover, stuff the cats inside with a few bricks, and throw it over a bridge...

Quick Reply: Best bike cover for the $buck$?