Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Black Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!

I believe frame touch up paint is listed in the HD P&A catalog.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:06 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason for us to get good with our own service [&:]

Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most any vivid black will do. As said F150 black is a good match. Gloss black is pretty much the same across the board.

I have to agree that the mark appears to have been made by a rotating tool.

Good luck

DougJ

Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 PM
jnogreen
Cruiser

Find the ownerof the dealership.......... tell your story and it willget resolved................

Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

I'd leave it the hell alone...chalk it up as a scratch that adds "character" to your bike...and move on! It ain't gonna stay perfect & "scarless" forever...and if it does you ain't ridin' it enough!I've got a few scratches here & there on mine too, but as with yours, if I never point them out to you you'd probably never even notice them.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

Has any work been done on it since you last knew it wasn't scratched? I'd be especially curious about the rear pegs, as they seem to be custom, and the marks sorta line up with the nut holding the peg on. If a dealer wrench installed it and used a 3/8 air ratchet or 3/8 impact gun with an extension, and they weren't careful and something slipped.................
In the course of a normal maintenance service I don't see what they would have been screwing with in that area. Although you do have that chrome rear nut cover, maybe that install went wrong? Or a tire change?
Gilly

Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G,

I had a scratch just like that on my 84 CB750F( yes.....gulp, I have owned metrics before....)

Anyway, I ended up getting some very fine rubbing compound (black) and went over it like 4 times...It ended up looking like a discoloroation moreso than a scratch. After that, I smeared just a bit of the frame touch-up paint onto the area with my finger - I did it once then let it dry, then again. I let that dry for a few days to really set into the metal. Then I used the rubbing compound again, very lightly on the area....It looked like it was almost new. I waxed it a bit just to seal it and the area never rusted, never faded.

BTW, must have been a real true biker bro to give you his chrome like that....sounds like a hell ofa guy![8D]

Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Y2KFXDman
Advanced

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

... Is anyone aware of anything that they do when they service your bike that might have caused this?...
I have not seen this before; however, by the looks of the scratch and its position, I easily imagine that:

1. Somebody had removed the lower shock bolt for some reason (drop swingarm, change shock, whatever.)
2. With the shock rotated forward, the bolt got returned to the shock for safekeeping.
3. Later, when it became time to put it all back together, somebody (perhaps the same person forgot the bolt was in there, or somebody else didn't check for interfering hardware) yanked the shock rearward.
4.Ouch!
5. Person says "WTF? Oh, I see" and then puts it all together without saying a word. (If he is really really clever, he might have removed all traces of paint from the lower shock bolt's threads.)

Old 11-09-2007, 05:55 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

buy a can of automotive primer and put prime on bear metal first or rust will inevitabally start

Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some good clues as to the cause but nothing has been done to the rear end, including the shocks, since I bought it. I installed the rear pegs with a normal socket wrench so I know that didn't do it either. I guess I'll never know who did it and how. I just need to concentrate on patchin' her up enough that she doesn't get rust.

Yes, Flynavy, it was a very cool guy to give me some chrome like that and refuse to let me even pay for the shipping. Very cool indeed. Thanks Bro!

Quick Reply: WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!