Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning up the wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cleaning up the wire harness

What a coincidence - I have a wiring harness question/concern, and someone has just rebuilt theirs.....I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

WS6: WOW - amazing job! I worked on F-14's in the Navy andthey are a nightmare for avionics wiring. I know a masterpiece when I see one!!

I have a question: I just replaced the headlight on my 07 Bob. I spliced in the new lampwith mechanical splices, and environmental heat shrink and environmental tape. I cut the factory wires in the bucket back a little too close to the frame than I wanted to - don't ask,an "innovative idea" gone wrong- and I pulled on the headlight bundle only just outside the neck to get a bit more slack. At first it was like there wasn't any at all, then I exerted just a bit more force and it gave all of a sudden. I got a few more inches fairly easily.

After I had all the connections done, I had that sick thought - oh crap, now I'm going to have to remove the tank and take a look at what I just unplugged in the harness bundle.

Since the bike is in the basement in hibernation mode, I didn't panic, brought the battery over, and connected it. Everything lit up fine, the fuel pump kicked on, all indicator lights looked good, and the headlight went from low to high no problems. I even shook the headlight cable around a bit while it was on - no problems. I checked the brake light, etc. everything pretty much just short of the horn and firing the engine up.

I guess before I disassemble, I would like to know if you (or anyone) thinks I disconnected anything with that tug. Ie. Is there some slack built into the harness under the tank to pull a bit safely? Everything in the manual appears to be connected by hard wire or molex, so I doubt anything could have come loose with a tug...Most of the time I have to pry a molex off something just to disconnect it.

Just wondering aloud if I should look deeper, or if all is likely okay....

Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
DynaDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flynavy - you should be fine. Seems HD almost puts in service loops in the harnesses for much "extree" length than needed.
WS6 Excellent. I bow to the superior being.
I wish I had the stones to do that when I relocated the tach / speedo to the bars.
I'm still confused (more like wiring impaired on the part where the harness goes up and back to the switches??
Did you cut and splice - hard wire and just stagger the splices to keep the thickness down??
I really appreciate the pics - any of the splices??
5 hours - geeeeze. If I get snowed in in ATL - maybe...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 165 Posts

The headlight harness is a long run, when you pulled on the wiring, the connector was probably stuck between several harnesses then squeezed through, giving you the extra slack. I wouldn't worry about it since everything is working.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DynaDon

flynavy - you should be fine. Seems HD almost puts in service loops in the harnesses for much "extree" length than needed.
I wish I had the stones to do that when I relocated the tach / speedo to the bars.
I'm still confused (more like wiring impaired on the part where the harness goes up and back to the switches??
Did you cut and splice - hard wire and just stagger the splices to keep the thickness down??

The original indicator light wires run across the triple clamps, then up into the console. To get rid of that extra bundle, I spliced in extra wire and ran the indicator wires along with the control wires that are coming from the handle bars and go into the frame. The indicator light wires then loop back out of the frame and go up into the console.

I cut the original indicator light wires under the console and added the extra wire there. Splices are also staggered, and you have to put the sleeving on before you solder the wires back together.

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 12-22-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DynaDon

Here's a photo of the original harness with the sleeving removed. On the very bottom you can see the indicator lights next to the shifter peg, above that to the left is the speedometer/tachometer connectors, and above those is the fuel tank sending unit connector. Right next to the fuel tank sending unit connector is where I cut the original factory splices and added the extra wire.

This photo is after I spliced in the extra wire and dressed in all the wires coming from the handle bars. Next step was to dress the wiring going to the console, add the braided sleeving then solder the wires back together. You can see the extra wire for the indicator lights that I added coming back out of the frame on the left side next to the clutch cable.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

ORIGINAL: WS6 Formula

.................................................. .........................................

Sleeving is 3/4", it came in a eight foot roll for $7.00.

.................................................. .........................................

Formula,
have you got a brand name and/or part #
for the sleeving??

Having a hard time locating it over here.

mud

Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

This is where Igot the sleeving:
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/228...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

This is the manufacture:
http://www.jttproducts.com/

Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Appreciate the info.

Ordered all four sizes, be here by Wednesday, they say.

Interesting also,
it appears this product is available in a variety of colors.

mud

ORIGINAL: WS6 Formula
This is where Igot the sleeving:
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/228...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
This is the manufacture:
http://www.jttproducts.com/

Old 11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
mark2626
Tourer

ORIGINAL: labfreak

Awesome job WS6 ! Man, wish I had you around my garage this weekend! Five hours is all!?! It has taken me all weekend just to put my switches back together without blowin' a fuse, literally[:@]
Nice work! Thanks for the great pics too!
I did that this weekend, it sucked

Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
DynaDon
Cruiser

Thanks WS6 - great pics / tutorial. Unfortunately it is NOT within my skill level. I'll stick to fiberglass / welding / fabbing / paint and the like. This would end up being a trailor-job to the dealer for me. I'm sure I would cause for release of the "factory-sealed blue smoke" or worse. Seems black is negative - red is positive is all I'm good for. I do appreciate craftsmanship / work since I have re-wired the headlight and tailight and it took all the concentration / patience I could muster - but NOTHING to this level. Has to take stones to "cut and paste" the entire front harness.
Five hours - maybe five months...
I guess, as stated,HD should have done this from thefactory.
LS1-don (99Z28)

Quick Reply: Cleaning up the wire harness