Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Bag Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Luggage Bag Installation Questions

ORIGINAL: ChrisWillis

I checked out your pictures, nice looking bike. One question I do have is what did you replace the bolts that held in the rear turn signals with? In the pictures it looks like there is no bolt securingtherear of thefender to the frame rails.

And yes, with thatrelocation kit you can use boss bags, the location of the turn signals isfine.
I didnt replace those bolts. Actually I had to hacksaw the originals off as they dont clear the tire and couldnt get the originals (about 4" long?) out.

The backrest and bag are stable, didnt give it thought. Maybe there is a tube that bolt went through that is keeping it stable with the two other support bolts? Went for a 20 mile ride with it like that. Will check it out tonight.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Azrael
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the detachable hardware kit does a few things for you that I would suggest if you plan on riding two up. Another thing to think about is that there are only 4 bolts holding that rear fender center and to the bike, you are riding around without two.

1) new fender rails for inside the fender. Unlike stock both the front and back holes in the rails are threaded for bolts from the outside.
2)Includes the plates that cover the holes left open by your turn signal relocation

In almost all cases of mounted bags you will need to use the rear whole to secure the bags to the bike which will require that inside that frame rail from the detachable hardware kit. You might be able to find just the rails but the kit is not that much more and comes with the whole covers and chrome bolts. The great thing is that you later switch to detachable hardware for the sissy bar and with new side plates you are good to go.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChrisWillis

the detachable hardware kit does a few things for you that I would suggest if you plan on riding two up. Another thing to think about is that there are only 4 bolts holding that rear fender center and to the bike, you are riding around without two.

1) new fender rails for inside the fender. Unlike stock both the front and back holes in the rails are threaded for bolts from the outside.
2)Includes the plates that cover the holes left open by your turn signal relocation

In almost all cases of mounted bags you will need to use the rear whole to secure the bags to the bike which will require that inside that frame rail from the detachable hardware kit. You might be able to find just the rails but the kit is not that much more and comes with the whole covers and chrome bolts. The great thing is that you later switch to detachable hardware for the sissy bar and with new side plates you are good to go.
You are right, I didnt realize that these bolts needed to be replaced, just assumed they were only to secure the rear directionals. Strange that the relocation kit directions doesnt mention replacing them, or even include some shorter bolts to replace them with. I guess they assume you are going to mount bags right away, unlike me.

I'll go to the HW store tomorrow for some 1.5" bolts to use until I get the bags I finally chose. The rails inside the fender were very close to the tire. The rear short tube (which protrudes the fender) was not aligned with the fender hole anymore.

Learn something new every day. Crawling around the back of the bike on the ground (and smacking my forehead on the exhaust tip) I should have figured that one out.

That was the only thing that sucked about the relo kit install, having to hacksaw those bolts. Had to saw close to the fender and keep the hacksaw off the paint. The bolts were too long to pull through due to the tire.

Looks like I'll have to get that lift sometime, that might have drooped the tire enough to remove them.

Thanks,
B

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Azrael
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many have said you don't need a lift to pull those bolts but I had to make a run to Sears when I decided to remove mine. Best of luck, let me know if I can be any help.