Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicator light relocation (figured it out)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Indicator light relocation (figured it out)

There is no photo tutorial as it is already complete without us taking pics, but later this evening I will posta step by step and parts list of whatwe did.... I am heading for the woods this AM

Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

OK...here is how we did it. I ordered the proper colored LED Button Head bolts from Custom Dynamics (extremely fast shipping), and they were a bit more than I had wanted to spend, but the quality is worth it. I spent just over $88.00 for 4 different colored packages (green - blue- red - amber). They come 2 to a package so you will have extras. You can find them cheaper on Ebay, but then have to wait for them to come a bit longer.

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_button_head_bolts.htm

When we started, we took blue painters tape and masked off the top of headlight and anywhere else you may drip solder, or hit with a wrench or a screwdriver. Also be careful with the center punch and the drilling, not to slip. We then took a compass and scribed a line parallel with the trim ring on the front of the headlight, the distance back to where you want them positioned. We then determined the center bolt location on the top of the headlight and measured off either side to where the other 4 lights will be and made all the appropriate marks. We center punched each hole location and started drilling out the holes one at a time and increasing the size of the bit until it got to the proper size for the threaded part to just slip through the hole, but not too loose. After all the holes were drilled, we filed the edges of the holes we just drilled and then prepared to drill the hole out the back of the lights for the additional wires. I purchased a small rubber grommet (35 cents), at my local hardware store and after drilling this hole, and filing it smooth, we put the grommet in place. After determining the hot and ground wires off the original wires, and marking them, we dropped the bolts in place, placed a rubber O-ring on the bolt on the inside of the headlight bezel and tightened it down with the nylon nut they supply with the LED lights. We then pulled the LED button head bolt lights wires, out the hole we just drilled in the back of the headlight and made a nice soldered connection with heat shrink around each to the original respective corresponding indicator light wire off the harness. (We disconnected it from under the dash to give more play to the wires for this purpose). We had slipped a piece of heat shrink over the entire wiring job that we did before making the connections, but later removed it because it looked too bulky and just looked like crap. I ordered some pre slit wiring harness sleeves (Black wrap-it sleeving by Russell) from J&P, to finish the job off more neatly.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...=Harley&page=7

We then reconnected the wiring harness under the dash, put the dash back on, put the headlight back together and re-adjusted it, and called it a day. We had maybe three hours into the whole project, but it was definitely worth it to relocate those dang lights and make them presentable. I had seen some of the others that had been done here and although they looked good, it just wasn't quite what I wanted. My brother and I looked the bike over and though what better place than to stick them in the headlight. After all, they were on the eyebrow cover to begin with.

Swampy

Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM
hounddog
Tourer

differant bike but thats nice check mine!!!!

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...sh-lights2.jpg

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hounddog

differant bike but thats nice check mine!!!!

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...sh-lights2.jpg
I like yours also....is that from the factory or a modification? Looks good either way.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
hounddog
Tourer

thanks man, the lights are the stockers but i modded the dash to get them in there and also made the speedo bracket. could have bought the sporty custom one from the 01 and earlier models but had this ol bracket with the rings and just cut and welded the new plate to it to mount on the backside. i was very pleased, shot it with sum that wrinkle black paint (which surpassed my expectations!!!) and it was golden! havnt seen another setup like it yet.....1 of a kind

Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
ccryders
6th Gear
Default handlebars

Does anyone know if it would be possible to drill into the handlebars and put these same led idiot lights there instead of the headlight? Would it compromise the strength of the handlebars? Just a thought.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 PM
R33P3R
Advanced

anyone have pics of this done that still show up?

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R33P3R
anyone have pics of this done that still show up?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
R33P3R
Advanced

awesome, thanks alot

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R33P3R
awesome, thanks alot
You're welcome.

Quick Reply: Indicator light relocation (figured it out)