Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliping Clutch what oil do you use

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:07 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Sliping Clutch what oil do you use

The clutch adjustment should really be done when it is NOT warm......
I've always adjusted the cable first to get it where I want it.....however, if I cannot get it where it needs to be. Then, I go adjust it through the primary. It really is not a difficult task.....

You basically want to find a happy medium for the clutch. You don't don't want it too tight and you don't want it too loose. Either one will cause problems.

The primary can use basically any fluid from 10w40 through 20w50 in there.Formula+, SYN3, and including all the high dollar synthetics out there work just fine as well. However, high dollar synthetics are simply not needed in there. I personally recommend regular diesel 15w40 or ATF in the primary.

Diesel 15w40 has been my favorite for 20+ years........

Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM
shoptroll
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

ORIGINAL: shoptroll

If you read the manual it tells you to only adjust the clutch on a room temperature bike. If you adjust it on a hot bike it could be loose when the powertrain is cold. We change our oil when the bike is warm so it drains faster so you really shouldn't perform both operations at the same time.
Do you think it is a good idea then, to drain the primary, wait overnight and make the adjustment before refilling the primary? Just asking.

DougJ
I just waited about two hours cause it was in the 50's here at the time. Just another tidbit for ya, You'll need an 11/16" offset box wrench for the locknut or one of those open ended sockets so that you can turn the locknut while holding the adjuster screw with an allen wrench. The locknut sits in too far to hold it properly with a standard combination wrench. I also only backed off the snug position 1/2 turn which is the minimum suggested in the manual.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,802 Likes on 2,541 Posts

there is a caution in the 02 service manuals about adjusting clutch at room temp. Usually overnight, the caution does state if adjusted on a hot powertrain there will be clutch slippage. What i've done is change oil when it's hot in the afternoon, then the next morning go thru the adjustment, keep the bike upright so the fresh oil doesn't dribble out. sounds like a pia, maybe, but works for me. ride safe.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the info ...........I never thought when I took my bike in for the 5K service and had the clutch adjst. the dealer is 40miles away @ 75-80 mph that will heat the bike up for a long time and there is no way the bike was at room temp when they adjusted the clutch,(Hummmmmmmmmmm !!!) Well going to put the bike in for storage this week so I will have to swap out the fluid and make the adjustment myself
Thanks
D/C