Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrow miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Luther OBanion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrow miss

Just a note to see if anyone has had this occur to them. A couple of days ago I was traveling at about 65 to 70 on a four laneroad going home. I was passed by a cager and then lets say the person got into a left turn lane ahead of me. I was watching this person who then decided to go straight and pull across the road in front of meabout 25 yards aheasd of me. I had to slam on thebrakes of my bike (06 Bob). I am glad that I ride a very balanced bike and light enough to control to keep from going down. I probabaly need a new seat ( butt pinch), the person looked at me and acted as if nothing happened. I did give this person the straight finger wave and they just waved back.
I wanted to stop and give them a cursing but was so P Off that it would not have been a good scene.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Narrow miss

Hey Luther, yep, similar things happen. Cagers decide to change their minds and direction at the same time, without any warning or looking. Just "there one minute, here the next". Then they are too oblivious to realize what they did (or too stupid, embarrassed, scarred, etc), don't own up to it, and generaly drive off thinking "G-damn bikers!".

Yep, happens all the time! It's a cry'in shame!

Very glad to see that you handled it well. It's all about anticipation and reaction. Could've stopped and beat the holly **** out of them, but would not have done a bit of good, and probably would've landed you in the pokey.

Ride safe.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry, it's not just because you're on a bike. I get the same people about 2x a week driving the car to work. They'll be in the driving lane of a 4-lane highway, suddenly decide that they need to exit NOW and pull straight across 3 other lanes of traffic and off the exit ramp like they own the f'n road. Maybe they'll hit their turn signal one blink, but usually just crank the wheels and go.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
ElConquistador
Intermediate

Had a joker in a work van take me down that way in July. Except he was stopped at a traffic light behind a car a car, and I was approaching the light. He waited until I was five feet from his back bumper to decide that he wanted to occupy the same physical space as me - no signal, no look, just came over on me. No injuries to my person, thanks to the low speed, but caused $7,000 in damage to my bike and cost me a whole summer of riding.

My younger brother wasn't so lucky - in April, a guy FACING HIM made a left turn directly into his path - multiple compound fractures of his lower leg and a shattered knee. Also ended up having several staph infections during his recovery. Somehow, he had the presence of mind to use his body to shield his 11-year old son from the cage and the road, and he (his son) managed to come out with only a scraped knee. My brother was on a Softtail Heritage, with passing lamps lit. I understand someone not seeing you in a blind spot, but can anyone explain how you can miss something that big in your windshield 40 feet away?

The laws concerning negligence behind the wheel need bigger, pointier, nastier teeth, IMHO. Anyone got the number for Bikers Against Dumba$$ Drivers?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
wreakmongrel
Advanced

I see the most fugged up crap from cagers, EVERTIME Iam on the road. We've got to be alert AT ALL TIMES and never let our guard down. Glad nothing came of your incedent.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ElConquistador

My younger brother wasn't so lucky - in April, a guy FACING HIM made a left turn directly into his path - multiple compound fractures of his lower leg and a shattered knee.
but can anyone explain how you can miss something that big in your windshield 40 feet away?

The laws concerning negligence behind the wheel need bigger, pointier, nastier teeth, IMHO. Anyone got the number for Bikers Against Dumba$$ Drivers?
A vast majority of bike accidents are caused by left turning idiots who all claim to not see you. Recently had the exact same thing happen to me on a 2 lane country road. Would have Tboned a 19 yr old girl if I hadn't automaticaly did my own hard left. As it was my leg was smashed between my bike and her rear quarter panel, almost missed her but not completely. So I'm laid up for atleast 3 months and have all sorts of titanium parts and screws holding my smashed ankle together. All I could think as I lay in the road waiting for the medics was "I can't believe this has happened to me".
I guess there's no way to anticipate every possible bone headed move that the idiots can come up with.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Luther OBanion
Cruiser

I would have stopped and beat the "S" of of this person but I am the Chief City Marshal for the court here in College Station Texas. I would have called over a city patrol officer to write her a ticket but it was in the county with no jurisdiction. Just glad I was watching her. The strange thing was she was not on a phone. I hope the rest of you that are injured get well soon and the insurance pays for you a new and better bike.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Mr Cerini owner of "Cerini HD"of Pennsvanias oldest dealer told me years ago ,don't get mad on your bike cause your the one that gets hurt and I hear his voice always at those times .