Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Riding Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Winter Riding Tips

How about a thread for those of us who refuse to store the bike over the winter (that is were there is a winter). Here's my two.

1. Stay off roads that are covered with wet leaves. It might as well be covered with grease.
2. Go to the hardware store and buy a pair of rubber painting gloves. Wear them under your normal gloves, it will completely block the wind and keep your hands warm.

Anyone else?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 PM
street2007bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winter Riding Tips

Rode 50 miles or so today with a 36 degree wind chill (before 80mph on bike) and I would recommend neoprene face mask if notwearing a full helmet.Stopped at the bar for a quick beer and saw some bikersand their rides are winterized!

Don't buy a new Harley in Colorado just before winter if you’re not willing to be a bit chilly!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be a pu$$y, if your going for it in the winter!
I mean get heated gear:
Heated gloves / liners
Heated pant liners
Heated jacket / liner
Heated grips
Heated socks (if you need them)
Windsheild
Make sure you have good skins on those wheels
Get a good full face helmet
I know I'll be riding any time there is no snow on the ground. Can't take the depression of not riding.
I am the only one knows I am electric when I ride. Other folks see me and think I must be freezin my azz off.
When you ride in the dead cold, you just kinda have to chuckle when the bikers come out on a warm winter day for a few hours.
Nothing like riding down the pike with ice hanging off the beard.

DougJ

Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
AndyV2000
Cruiser

Best tip for year round riding is to live at lower elevations [sm=biker.gif]

Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

My goal is always to Thanksgiving, This year maybe perhaps a xmas ride.......... Its be warm this season in the NE.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought my bike last January and it killed me that the weekend I got it it was 60 degrees, but did nothing but rain. That week the temps went to normal winter time temps of 40 degrees. Didn't matter, I rode anyway and learned how to dress and how not to dress. No plans on putting my bike away until at least X-mas this year and thats mainly to tear her down a bit for some ideas I have been coming up with over the course of the riding season.

Don't think I'll be likely to do the heated thingys, but I gotta put her the on the road here and there, so I grab the winter duds and go for it.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

windshield... i put it on durring the winter... my girl is 100 lbs soaking wet and she rides her bike all winter long! man up!!!! pull it out an ride...
warnings: salt/sand build ups in the corners, your tires are cold so is the road... THEY WILL SLIP!!! get them warm before leaning into turns, cold hands are clumbsy aroud controls good gloves are key, chaps are worth every penny!... we do a lake michigan ride every year... the FREEZE YOUR TAIL RIDE! ride around lake michigan late november early december... it is COLD and such a good time... ooh ya salt will destroy your bike... if you get it on it WASH and completely dry that sucker... anyone near chicago land area, we head up north into wis and michigan snowmobiling all the time, we all are bikers that addapt to the winter... PM me and come join us! (if anyone lives in Michigan and woudl rent/let me keep my 2 place trailer, enclosed, anywhere on their property I WOULD BE FOREVER THANKFUL! it would save me $$$$ in gas and cut hrs off our drive time... PLEASE PM ME)

Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sand and salt are definite hazards!! As for gear. I'd have to say start with polyprop longjohns, to start and finish up with leather. Everything in between depends on the temp and you tolerance to cold I'm guessing that it would be someone in the Upper Peninsula?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
HORSE
Intermediate

If you have long beard keep it wrapped the ice breaks it i know.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HORSE

If you have long beard keep it wrapped the ice breaks it i know.

Breaks?!?!?!?

Quick Reply: Winter Riding Tips