Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???

ORIGINAL: kpreese

PowerCobra98, when I get this working, there will be detailed instructions and pictures. You'll be able to handle this no sweat.
THANK YOU!!!! I've always wondered what the point of instructions were if they don't indeed instruct! They should go point by point without leaving any doubt on what to do and should not assume that everybody has the same level of knowledge. I do consider myself pretty bright and I pick up things fast but electrical crap has never been my cup of tea and I always seem to become a bumbling moron when it comes to wiring. I really do appreciate you doing this if you can figure it out! (I'm just glad you mentioned that tach mount you found because that's exactly what I was looking for)

Old 12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many wires and what colors are they in the harness from the mini tach? This would help us figure out what you have. If you could post a picture of the plug on the bottom of the mini tach it would also be helpful to me in seeing if the Y-harness from the FXD dual OEM gauges might fit and just plug in like on the full sized tach.

Gary

Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DGlide04, this mini tach only has three binding posts on the back, no wiring harness. One for power, one for ground, one for signal.

A quick update for anyone else following this thread . . . I'll do a better post when I am done. I was able to get the tach working perfectly off of pin #3 on the monster ECM connector. I never could get it working on the speedo pin #3. So either the 2006 Dynas are wired a bit differently and that speedo signal is no good for this tach or I had some other problem I could never find.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:44 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kpreese

DGlide04, this mini tach only has three binding posts on the back, no wiring harness. One for power, one for ground, one for signal.

A quick update for anyone else following this thread . . . I'll do a better post when I am done. I was able to get the tach working perfectly off of pin #3 on the monster ECM connector. I never could get it working on the speedo pin #3. So either the 2006 Dynas are wired a bit differently and that speedo signal is no good for this tach or I had some other problem I could never find.
KPREESE,

I think I now remember somebody saying something on another board that the tach signal for the 06's was in the ECC harness...or something like that. Really I have no clue. I'm looking forward to your write up (with pics if possible)!!

Old 12-19-2005, 01:38 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok here is my two cents on this one.

Pulled my manual out on my 06 Dyna fuel injected FXDLI

There is not a pulsed signal at the speedo on the 06 Dyna.

It is driven entirely on the data link.

Now if you look at the coil you will find 4 wires.

Y/GN This is a switched 12 DC feed. It is not fused it comes straight from the System Relay. If you use this as 12v + fuse the line.

GY/BE This is labeled ion sense and feeds the ECM direct. ( Possible tach signal point. )

Y/BE This is the Rear coil signal.

BE/O This is the Front coil signal.

Not sure about that tach. Does it need signal per cylinder or will it switch select to one signal.

If it can do it with one signal grab either of the coil signal wires.

If it requires signal for both cylinders, You could try to touch the tach sensor to the ion sense wire and see if it makes the tach happy.

If that doesn't do it you can use two diodes and grap both of the coil signals.

The only other option I see is the Crank Position sensor. But it looks like it runs on 5v from the ecm so you would have to take precautions.

Lee

Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Thanks for the help Lee, but I should have posted sooner. I got this worked out a couple of days ago but I was doing a write up on it with pictures. I believe a connection to one of the coils as you were saying would have worked fine too.

But I ended up trying pin #3 on the ECM connector and it works perfectly. I am not sure why both pin #3 on the speedo and pin #3 on the ECM are unlabeled, but oh well. Speedo pin #3 didn't work and pin #3 on the ECM did. I was able to measure a DC pulse frequency between the speedo and ground, but the voltage was so low I couldn't figure out what type of signal it was, I think it was just electric noise from the ignition. However, the signal from the ECM was very solid.

Anyway, I added a project on shareaproject.com (which I highly recommend, it's free). It is awfully hard to work with one hand and take pictures, but I tried to show as much detail as possible so someone else won't have WAY too many pieces torn off of their bike to experiment like I did.

This is a pretty simple task as I eventually did it, provided you have the right tools, parts and the service manual.

Here it is:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,173,00.html
Click on the first thumbnail to get a "slideshow" view with lots of details.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Kevin

That is an exceptionally nice presentation and I'm sure that it will serve many here well with the install of their tachs. I have included that link in the DIY topic for everyone to see... https://www.hdforums.com/m_65101/mpa..._/tm.htm#65101

Thanks

Bill

Old 12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

Oh Man, that is an EXCELLENT write up! While my bike will be different with my speedo being mounted on the bars (and I'm not quite sure how or where I'll be tapping into those wires at) I think I would be able to handle this with a little patience. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to put all of that together. I'm sure it made a long job even longer but you do have my undying gratitude and thanks!

Oh, and by the way...I've been waiting on my diamondback clutch cable for over 4 months now. At least I know it's not just me, that pretty much tells me that HD isn't even making them. Wish I could have a good answer why. That's the only item I don't have that I've been waiting for.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
edandhishd
5th Gear

Talked to Harley about pin hole #3 in the speed plug. Harley informed me that the only 2006 speedo that has #3 active for a tach is the speedo on a 2006 dyna wideglide.

I am going to run my pink signal wire bake to the coil and tap off a coil signal. (like the old days). Have not done it yet because I just found out today about the lack of a tach signal on a 2006 dyna.

If you don't trust me call Harley at 1-414-343-4056. Harley reps would not tell me where to pickup a signal but I'll find it and post it

Hope this helps you and saves you some time.

Ps the harley reps said a simple three wire tach can work but would not help me on how. My next test will be on the 4 wires on the ciol input. One of those should give a pulse the tach can use.

I'll be back with more after testing this weekend.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

Use ECM slot number 3. That's what we used and it works like a charm. Just buy the .50 cent pin you need and insert it into the ECM harness. The part number is on my website under the Modifications page.

KPREESE or I can give you better instructions for running and tapping your 3 wires (actually only 1 wire is tapped) if you need them. The write up is great but since that time we've actually found a better way to do everything that is much more clean.

Quick Reply: Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???