Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 AM
tannerwelch
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???

Any others have this happen. Had an Arlen Ness Big Sucker II A/C on for about 2,000 miles.On a ride this past Sunday A/C falls off while riding. All three studs broke off at fuel-injector body.Luckly the A/C hit my leg and I was able to grab it before it hit the ground. Just wanting to know if any others have had this happen? Thanks,Tom(2006 lowrider)

Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???

My back plate broke where the studs go through it, but never heard of the studs themselves breaking. The back plate is pretty fragile and it's common to hear about them breaking. Ness really needs to find somewhere other than China to have those things made. Mine was a POS and the warranty replacementwas no better. I have a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner now.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
abcd9906
Cruiser

I have had it happen to me also. My studs broke off and I caught my air cleaner before it fell. The other time my a/c plate that you screw the allen heads into ... the holes cracked out and I about lost it again. Cheapo quality man. Never again will I buy some arlen ness shlt

Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
lost6009
Cruiser

I had two arlen ness mirrors break off at the weld on the ball that goes into the stem. One fell in my lap and the other hit the street. Luckily niether hit the bike oddly enough. I haven't bought ness stuff since.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Sec Super Glide
Road Captain

Thanks for the heads up on that air cleaner I bet alot of us are useing them >[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee,
Now I don't feel so bad for buying genuine HD stuff from time-to-time.
I have rarely had problems with HD stuff (China or not), and when I did my local HD parts guys never gave me a hassle returning stuff.
Thanks for the heads up on Nessy!!

DougJ

Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser

Lovely! I had this happen too; one screw/bolt holding the stud in place broke off, so I guess I can try to drill the screw out and replace the screw. Does anyone know if Arlen Ness will replace it or give replacement parts?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
fiend138
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hywy2hl
Does anyone know if Arlen Ness will replace it or give replacement parts?
If not this site http://www.mcmaster.com/has a great online catalog of hardware.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious how many of you torqued the bolts to spec when you installed the kit? I didn't, so I'm not preaching to you - I didn't own a torque wrench at the time. I wondering if it will help prevent it if I pull the kit off and reinstall using torque specs?

I also wonder if the kit was even developed with the extra vibration of dyna's and non-softails in mind? Kind of makes me wonder if they developed it around a softail and the vibrations from our motors are causing the hardware to fail. I wonder if Arlen Ness (the company not the person) knows about this and would be willing to do a sort of recall fix?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I know that when I purchased this HD cover http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_USto go over my Big Sucker, it advised to replaced the one piece studs with new HD two-piece ones (29447-99A). The one-piece studsto replace look just like the ones AN uses, but they are a hair longer. So, I'm guessing its a somewhat known issue that the one-piece studs don't hold up.

Mark

Quick Reply: Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???