Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Arlen Ness A/C studs broke off???

Much appreciated - yup get 2...I'll keep it as a back-up

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check out HD and they sell the backplate seperately, but you'll also need their breather setup as well as the Big Sucker's is integrated. My BS Stage I is not on yet, but I'll follow the advice here of modest torque and locktite.

Mark

Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
flynavy
Road Master

Funny you should mention that, Mark.

I was comparing the two just now and noticed the two black tubes on the HD breather kit, and how they funnel into the back plate.

What is up with that???????

The BS just allows direct flow (through the element) into the throttle body directly. Now that is what I would call hi-flo.

What HD is doing is somehow limiting that with the breather tubes? Am I looking at this wrong? Seems like a huge waste of a filter element of the type used by the BS and the SE, if they are channeling the air in with the two intake tubes....

Am I missing something here..help me out.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Critter174
Road Captain

the tubes on the se back plate are to redirect the oil mist back into the system to help burn it off
EPA BS you can be sure. not to mention the mess it seems to make the oil always seems to puddle up there at the carb. i have not had that problem with the big sucker guess it does a little better job of directing it back into the system with the way they have the flow integrated with the back plate.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
flynavy
Road Master

Thank you Mister Critter for clearing that up.

As I understand it, you want some blow-by to make it onto the filter to make it more absorbant to particulate matter.

makes sense.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Critter174
Road Captain

the one that comes with the an bs is already oiled so i don't guess it needs any more. though i do believe you have to re oil it every so often. but don't quote me on that. I haven't look at the instructions since i but it on 6 months ago.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Critter174

the one that comes with the an bs is already oiled so i don't guess it needs any more. though i do believe you have to re oil it every so often. but don't quote me on that. I haven't look at the instructions since i but it on 6 months ago.
You don't necessarily WANT some blowback but some is okay with a K&N filter. Not good for paper filters though.

Critter, yes you do need to clean and oil the filter that comes with the ness kit. I have heard all kinds of different intervals for cleaning it. The kit doesn't say specifically, it just says to do it regularly. It really depends on your riding conditions. One nice thing about being able to run the ness filter open as that you can see when it is dirty and clean it then. K&N sells a recharge kit that comes with cleaner and oil. Looks like it sells for about 12 bucks.

Have we ever confirmed 100% that the ness filter is made by K&N or just a knock-off? It looks like one to me but I didn't see K&N's name on it. K&N's car filters come with a 1 million mile warranty. I wonder if the bike filters do as well and if they will stand behind the ness kit filters? Not that it really matters. If it's a K&N filter, it will last longer than the bike.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

The Big Sucker works on the same principle as the SE- feeding the blowby into the intake behind the filter. It just routes it within the backplate (tiny vent holes)instead of the external breather tubes.

Mark

Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i took my bike in for some work. and the shop broke my studd ext that goes to my head break.and the shop then e poxy the thing back. and i notice some oil sippin. i check it and that what it was. i got ahold of k&n and in about two days new ext. i took the broken one to the shop . and i can tell you the guy no longer works there.so i would get of ahold of ness.